In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

To buy, or not to buy... that is the question.

robbie_light_04robbie_light_04 Member Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
edited June 2004 in General Discussion
Ok. Let me hear your input. My sister is getting married in June, and she will be moving to a suburb of Columbus, Ohio. I am not sure if the crime rate in that area is high, but I know that her fiancee does not have any guns. I want them to have some form of security in case someone breaks into their home... when I say security, I do not mean a baseball bat. Should I buy them a handgun? I want them to have something that would stop a burglar in his tracks. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    if it will only be for home defense and not for daily carry I think a shotgun will do the job.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=19073891

not as pricey as a good handgun either.

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.
  • Options
    925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, I would offer to sell him one very cheap,that way it will make it his idea to get a gun and may put him in the proper frame of mind to own one.

If you give him one it may just sit in his sock drawer.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Tell her to marry someone else.[:o)]

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have no other choice. You must educate this man. The days of "the sheriff with no gun" are long gone. Every house has a sheriff. Just my .02.

Born To Hunt... Forced To Work... #@!#$!!
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    A man that doesn't already own a firearm probably doesn't need one given to him.

Any man can shoot a gun, and with practice he can draw fast and shoot accurately, but that makes no difference. What counts is how you stand up when somebody is shooting back at you.
    To die for what one believes is all very well for those so inclined, but it has always seemed to me the most vain of solutions. There is no cause worth dying for that is not better served by living. L'Amour
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Buy your sister a good 20 guage pump shotgun and teach HER how to use it for home defense! A 20 guage will do just fine, and it won't kick her like a 12 would.

I'm saying to teach HER how to use it because he doesn't have any guns, and would probably be hiding in a closet if it's ever needed.

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    A man that doesn't already own a firearm probably doesn't need one given to him.

[:D] Could not have said it better [8D]

eyeflash.gif

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all exist very nicely in the same box.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    A well lit yard, shrubs trimmed back, and locked doors/windows are a good start.

Check the phone "demarcation". If it is accessable from the ground, her phone lines can be cut.

If secure (high and/or non-accessable), the phone is, in the opinion of some LEOs, the first defense.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jsergovic
    If secure (high and/or non-accessable), the phone is, in the opinion of some LEOs, the first defense.

Yeah maybe if its one of those cell phone handguns.. a regular phone wont do too much damage, I suppose you could try to choke the guy with the phone cord..

OH WAIT.. you meant to call the police.. haha, thats funny.. call the morgue, tell them to bring body bags. [:D]

GWB_logo_100.gifErie.gifak.jpg01_american_flag.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good used shotgun would work well, and theres a little more margin for error when it comes to accuracy. Mossberg, Norinco, or a Rem 870 would all work fine for self defense.

GWB_logo_100.gifErie.gifak.jpg01_american_flag.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Lord, Don't buy him anything ! Talk to your sister after they are married a few weeks and see if you can buy HER a gun. Her new husband may not like the idea of even having a gun in the home .. who knows.. I have inlaws that are that way..
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get them a sign that says " BEWARE OF DOG - HE EATS EVERYTHING I SHOOT " a stranger won't chance it!

I have decals on the windows that say " THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS HOME THAT IS WORTH YOUR LIFE " & it has a picture of a hand gun. That one is NO bluff.

"all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten" Robert Fulghum

anyone who says "nobody needs a full auto" has never been in front of a brown bear charge
  • Options
    pipskickspipskicks Member Posts: 3,049
    edited November -1
    These days everyone has a cell phone anyways
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget about him and give one to your sister.....just in case.

PJ

If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Life Member, AF&AM