In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Continued support of the NRA

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I'm REALLY fed up with the "do nothing" NRA. "Do nothing" except ask for more money. Like I said in another post, I can't think of ONE anti-gun law that they've gotten repealed or even modified in our favor. The seem to have adopted the "go along to get along" method of lobbying. They're one of the most powerful lobbies in the country and I think it's way past time they started kicking some "gun-grabber" butt. What good's all their power if they won't use it?
I've been a Life Member for I don't know how long but I'm seriously considering telling them what they can do with it and giving my support to GOA or CCRKBA. At least they seem to know how to fight they "anti's".

Mudge the pi$$ed

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Does our dissatisfaction with the NRA play right into the gun-grabbers hands? We're better off trying to change or re-direct the NRA than to just bail out.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rider & Saxon......When you put it that way it makes sense.
    I just had to get through my little catharsis.
    Thanks for the steady hand, though.

Mudge the repentant

• Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All you 4- and 5-star guys are very intimidating. I belong to GOA and NRA, figured it was a fraction of what I was spending on ammo alone so it wouldn't hurt. Here's a question for people who have been in the NRA a while: Has the NRA been helpful in the states where concealed carry laws have been simplified and streamlined, like FL? If not, which organization(s) were in the lead? It seems to me that is at least one victory we can count in the recent past. Also, the fact that the NRA has X million members is in itself an intimidation factor whether they effectively tap into that potential energy or not.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote Mudge:
    "I'm REALLY fed up with the "do nothing" NRA. "Do nothing" except ask for more money. Like I said in another post, I can't think of ONE anti-gun law that they've gotten repealed or even modified in our favor."

Rembrandt's Answer:
    To change laws in the gun owners favor, you must have lawmakers that are pro-2nd Amendment....here is a clip taken from the NRA/ILA web site. This is what the NRA is doing......."In the 2000 elections, more NRA resources were better deployed in more critical battles than ever before. Twenty million dollars were spent on direct campaign donations, independent campaign expenditures and on mobilizing the most aggressive grassroots operation in NRA history. Election Volunteer Coordinators (EVCs) in congressional districts nationwide rallied support for the Second Amendment at gun clubs, ranges, shooting events and gun shops, recruiting thousands of new political volunteers and registering thousands of new voters. To provide EVCs with energized campaign volunteers, ILA staff conducted nearly 50 grassroots election seminars in key states and districts"......

Quote Mudge:
    "I've been a Life Member for I don't know how long but I'm seriously considering telling them what they can do with it and giving my support to GOA or CCRKBA. At least they seem to know how to fight they "anti's"."

Rembrandt's Answer:
    Your frustration is understandable, but what anti-gun law has GOA or CCRKBA gotten repealed or modified that the NRA hasn't? Keep in mind we are in an election year....it is never wise to bring up controversial issues on election years, always bring them up in the off years....timing is everything. Right now the important thing is to put people in office that support our position...once they are there and we have a majority, changing these laws becomes much easier. Don't forget who is in control of the Senate....nothing will get changed until that leadership is changed.

Chin up and hang in there Mudge, the NRA has been pulling the load for American gun owners for a long time, we need more people "pulling the wagon...and less people riding in it".
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that the NRA has been most helpful in Washington. The fact that we got through the Klinton era without any more damage than was done (and with things like instant checks rather than waiting periods coming into being) is largely a testament to their power. Sarah Brady could have become a real nightmare for law abiding Americans if she had been allowed to ram her agenda like a spear through the heart of the Constitution. She's got a mentality like John Hinckley, with a different set of goals. The NRA was an incredible steadying influence while Klinton's minions were rocking the boat like mad.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I SEE THE POINT OF PATIENCE BUT CHARLTON HESSTON WAS QUOTED AS SAAYING THAT AK-47 TYPE GUNS MADE HIM NERVOUS,SORRY I WILL NOT SUPPORT A GROUP WHOS PRESIDENT PLAYS IN TO THE OPPOSITIONS HANDS LIKE THAT.I WROTE A LETTER TO THE NRA AND TOLD THEM IF I EVER HEARD ANY NRA SPOKESPERSON SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT AGAIN I WOULD CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP,I MEAN IT.DONT FEEL LIKE THE LONE RANGER MUDGE I AINT REAL HAPPY WITH THEM RIGHT NOW EITHER

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Submariner, I believe Heston thought he was making a comment about fully automatic AK-47s -- you know, the kind you can buy from knock-off artists in Pakistan for $75. He didn't mean the semiautomatic rifles that look like AK-47s. Also, remember to a lot of older people who grew up hunting and target shooting, the AK-47 reminds them of commie rats, like Lugers remind people (incorrectly) of NAZIs. Where Heston made the goof was that the person asking him the question didn't know the difference between a true AK-47 and the semiautomatic rifle based on it, and probably wouldn't have considered that an important distinction anyway.

I'll reiterate my previous post in this thread: It's healthy for the politicians to know that there is an organization with millions of members who are interested in protecting their rights to own and use firearms.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I 'preciate the constructive critiques of my position.
    Your replies are far more acceptable than the cursing and vituperativness elicited by my post re: ancestors and trees.

Mudge the enlightened

• Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I plan on joining as many of those type oranizations(GOA,NRA,VA Civil Defense League, etc.) as reasonably possible. If everyone who owns guns and believes in our cause did this just think of the power we would have.
  • Options
    Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    I have never been prouder to be an NRA Member as I was last Saturday, April 6th at "THE Tulsa Gun Show"!
    Who took the time to stop at my table and echo his support of Gun Shows and his disdain for the "Turn Coat" John McCain, but Wayne LaPierre.
    When the most powerful man in support of our Second Amendment rights takes the time to not only travel to the largest gun show in the free world, but then walk the aisles, shake hands and discuss our concerns-it should bolster our resolve to support the NRA to the best of our ability.
    Hope some others attending the show, had the chance to visit with Wayne.

LIFE MEMBER-BENEFACTOR
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah. And I remember when that chicken sh!@ Lapierre bailed out on a debate with Slick Willie on national television. Called in sick the last minute.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Spring Creek,
    Appreciate your words about Wayne, I've met with him on a number of occasions and am always amazed at the schedule he keeps....if those that critized him did a tenth of what he's done, you'd see some serious things happen. I think the Bush doctrine could also apply to the NRA...."your either with us, or your against us"....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats funny. Wayne should give that ultimatum "you are either with us, or against us." If that was the criteria for being in the NRA, you would see alot of NRA members walking(myself included). I think members have the absolute responsibility to call it the way they see it. The NRA compromises. That is a reality. And I think it is of the utost importance that when the NRA does compromise, they hear about it. I am part of that organization, and I am not going to behave like some star struck, idol worshipping democrat and approve of everything the NRA does, because they are the NRA.
    If gun owners DID NOT go ballistic whenever the NRA gives the antis a little bit of victory, the NRA would be giving in alot more than they do now. The few members who complain when Wayne and the rest of the gang compromise more of our rights away, those are the members who are of most value to the NRA. ...Not the NRA, LaPIERRE worshippers.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo, I'm not really interested in getting into a fertilizer throwing contest with you, but I would like to know what you have done in the area of 2nd Amemndment protections? I'm easily starstruck....dazzle me with your accomplishments
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt- Why is it that me criticizing the NRA immediately leads to a "well what have you done for the second amendment" comment? I have done plenty, and I do not have to list my contributions. I know you Wayne Worshippers get in a tizzy when someone questions NRA policy, and get all defensive.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not support the NRA. I want as many gun laws passed as possible, so people will rise up before guns are gone and do something about whats happening to our country.

I love freedom, cause a chained dog ain't happy. A southern born child living behind enemy lines in occupied territory
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo, the reason I bring up that question is quite simple...there are those that "do" and those who trash the people who are out on the front lines fighting the battle for our second amendment rights.

Permit me to use this analogy....critisism of folks (NRA) fighting this battle could be compared to those that critisized our troops during time of war. I remember how war protestors & Jane Fonda demoralized our men in uniform who put their lives on the line for everyone's freedoms. Wayne LaPierre just wears a different uniform, but his resolve is no different than yours and mine.

There are far better ways to win the war than to trash our own troops. We need to bring these topics to a higher level of professionalism much like that in the medical and legal professions.....you hardly ever see a professional ripping another colleague. I'm sure if we were to meet someday, we would probably hit off right away. You make some good points on your posts....this one bothers me a little.....Rembrandt

Edited by - Rembrandt on 04/14/2002 01:03:39
  • Options
    Bushy ARBushy AR Member Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo and all who feel the N.R.A. is an exercise in futility....Can any of you tell me about an organization that does more to support our views? I am a relative new-comer to this forum and I am learning as I go and would welcome any suggestions as to where my money can be better spent. I personally like that quote that goes:" If you are not a part of the answer,you are part of the problem." If we cannot stand to part with the small amount of money that membership costs,we are either too cheap or really don't care what happens.I think it is a small price to pay to be "part of the answer".

Only in America a homeless war veteran slept in a cardboard box while a draft dodger slept in the white house...NEVER AGAIN!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt- Well I guess we see things differently. I see nothing wrong with criticizing, and objecting when someone who is supposedly representing your interests does something that you feel is detrimental to your interests. I think it is our responsibility to voice objections when the NRA compromises.
    I am a member of the NRA, but I hardly think that they share the same opinion as I, with respect to the second amendment. They feel the federal government can make some laws, while I feel they can make "no laws" with respect to infringing on the right to bear arms.
    But they are the loudest and most influential group out there, so I am a member. And as a member, I have a right and responsibility to voice my opinions to the NRA on their positions and policy.
    I AM THE NRA.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo, I have no problem with your disagreement on how things are done within the NRA, I have issue with you on this....

Quote Salzo: "Yeah. And I remember when that chicken sh!@ Lapierre bailed out on a debate with Slick Willie on national television. Called in sick the last minute.

Your post did not take issue with NRA positions, that was a personal attack on an individual. If you don't agree with NRA positions, then you need to go to the National Convention and do something about it, get invovlved, vote for issues, and run for the board of Directors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well Rembrandt- Lapierre had the oppurtunity to get on television with Slick and Tom Brokaw(or one of those news guys) and have a two hour debate, discussion with Slick on gun control. LaPierre called up and cancelled at the last minute(what could have been more important than debating gun control and the second amenment with that slime ball is beyond me). So instead of Wayne taking the oppurtunity to educate the public on the importance of an armed populace, and the right of selfe defense, and the meaning of the second-the national tv audience was treated to two hours of slick saying we need stricter gun laws, we need trigger locks, we cant have any more Columbines, and the second amendment is about the National Guard. The NRA did gun owners a real service that night.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo,
    I don't know all the details on this, I could be wrong, but I do remember hearing a little about it....seems some thought it was a set up and the format was stacked against LaPierre. Give the National Headquarters a call and ask Wayne himself what happened.
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AS I POSTED I WASNT HAPPY WITH THE NRA BUT THEY DO HAVE CLOUT IN THE POLITICAL WORLD THAT NOONE ELSE HAS.I CONTRIBUTE MONEY TO THE LITTLE SIDE BATTLES WHEN I CAN.I ALSO BELONG TO THE NRA AND THE TN FIREARMS ASSC.I DO MY PART,I THINK.WHEN THE NRA DOES SOMETHING I DONT AGREE WITH I LET THEM KNOW ABOUT IT.I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THE FULLY AUTOMATIC DEAL BUT AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED IT DIDNT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE IT WAS WRONG

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to give to almost all the pro gun organizations. It occurred to me, after a few years, I might be spinning my wheels. i am now a life member of the NRA and CCRKBA (Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep nd Bear Arms. These are the two groups that I felt are doing the best job of representing us in Washington and the 50 states. I do not agree with everything the NRA has done either, but the fact is that in the real world, things are compromised. Not necessarily a good thing for us, but that is reality.
    One of the causes I truly believe in is the NRA Whittington Center. I am a Founders Club member and try to give as much as I can to them every year. I feel that someday this is the only place we will be able to hold national matches of almost any kind. The Center is ran off of donations, no NRA dues money is used for its support. I hope each of you will consider giving to them also.
    One last comment, I have found in my discussions with numerous people, that, the ones who are NRA members, and * the most about letters asking for donations, have never written a letter to their congressmen, or given any money to the NRA. And, I am not addressing that last remark to Salzo, who I agree with more times than not.