In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

GM moving out of Detroit ?

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
GM.. Going Mexico

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp.'s chief has left the door open to the automaker moving its corporate headquarters out of Detroit, prompting concern by some lawmakers and clarification by the automaker.

GM Chief Executive Fritz Henderson said Monday during a conference call the automaker is looking at everything within its business. But he cautioned such an option isn't "queued up at the top of the list" and the company is proud to be in the city.

U.S. Rep. John Conyers said the possibility concerns him after GM received "billions of dollars" in federal bailout money. Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., says he's been assured by a GM official there are no such plans.

GM said in a follow-up statement it's too early to speculate about the effect of corporate restructuring on facilities.

Comments

• RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Eventually they will move to China where they are successful. Chinese people love Buicks and GM is profitable in China where they are #1 or #2 in sales.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The occupation of the car industry by the democrat party is a big mistake.

The stupidity has begun.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid

The occupation of the car industry by the democrat party is a big mistake.The stupidity has begun.

Will the Unions figure this out ?
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst
    Eventually they will move to China

Where they'll immediately rename the company GTM or General Tsao's Motors.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be a good move by GM to dump the rencen and move the HQ to the tech center in Warren.....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local rumor is the I-Car research center in Greenville SC.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    Local rumor is the I-Car research center in Greenville SC.

Tell you what, I have friends who work in the tech center, (and my industry is affected by the big 3) I would hate to see them suffer, but if it burned the levins & conyers, I'm for it...
    I can go to work at the Charlotte store...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on moving to Warren.

Remember, if you work in the City of Detroit, there is CITY income tax. As far as I know, it is the only city in MI that does that.

If they move, every one of the employees who work there in effect gets a raise by paying less taxes.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen
    +1 on moving to Warren.

Remember, if you work in the City of Detroit, there is CITY income tax. As far as I know, it is the only city in MI that does that.

If they move, every one of the employees who work there in effect gets a raise by paying less taxes.

Yep, Warren is trying to woo them, they did the same thing a few years ago...
    Don
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't believe that the movers and shakers are treating northern citizens like they are the adopted children of Confederate squatters.
    What's next?
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i heard Chrysler is going to Mexico too[:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk

Well, payback for Jeremiah "GD AMerica" Wright clowning for a 10,000 strong Detroit Chapter NAACP dinner has its consequences I reckon.
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk

Well, she was raped by the germans, and is about to get it again by obama & the wops, can you blame her...
    Don
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sense on the move. Gets rid of the Union and get cheap labor. I do wonder what the recall rate would be though for the first 10/20 years.

Quality would be better if they went to Canada but with the dollar being what it is Mexico make a better location. Oh, had another thought. (In Mexico) I wonder how much more cash would GM collect for packing the cars with cocaine and bring them across. GM will be the next "BIG" cartel.
  • mijelomijelo Member Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen
    +1 on moving to Warren.

Remember, if you work in the City of Detroit, there is CITY income tax. As far as I know, it is the only city in MI that does that.If they move, every one of the employees who work there in effect gets a raise by paying less taxes.

Battle Creek has one also.
    mijelo
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Make sense on the move. Gets rid of the Union and get cheap labor. I do wonder what the recall rate would be though for the first 10/20 years.

Quality would be better if they went to Canada but with the dollar being what it is Mexico make a better location. Oh, had another thought. (In Mexico) I wonder how much more cash would GM collect for packing the cars with cocaine and bring them across. GM will be the next "BIG" cartel.

If they are not already.
    What's next?