In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

College football rankings: Compiling the Top 25s

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in General Discussion
College football rankings: Compiling the Top 25s

Rivalry Week has come and passed, with the usual shenanigans taking place. Seven ranked teams fell this week, including five by the hand of other ranked opponents.

How far will Mississippi State fall after their two touchdown Egg Bowl loss to Ole Miss? Will TCU replace them in the top four, or will Baylor or Ohio State make a run at it? Where does UCLA end up after their loss to Stanford? How high will Arizona rise after their win over Arizona State, before their matchup with Oregon? What about Georgia Tech, upset winners over Georgia, before their game against Florida State?

We have some answers for you now, with the AP Poll, Coaches Poll and computer composite rankings via Massey. The official Playoff rankings come out Tuesday but we'll try to hold you over until then with these.

AP Coaches Massey composite
1 Alabama Alabama Alabama
2 Florida State Florida State Oregon
3 Oregon Oregon TCU
4 TCU TCU Florida State
5 Baylor Baylor Baylor
6 Ohio State Ohio State Mississippi State
7 Michigan State Michigan State Ole Miss
8 Arizona Arizona Ohio State
9 Kansas State Kansas State Michigan State
10 Mississippi State Mississippi State Arizona
11 Wisconsin Wisconsin Kansas State
12 Georgia Tech Georgia Tech Georgia
13 Ole Miss Missouri Auburn
14 Missouri Ole Miss UCLA
15 Georgia Georgia Missouri
16 UCLA Oklahoma Georgia Tech
17 Arizona State UCLA Oklahoma
18 Oklahoma Arizona State LSU
19 Clemson Clemson Wisconsin
20 Auburn Louisville Arizona State
21 Louisville Auburn USC
22 Boise State Boise State Clemson
23 LSU Nebraska Arkansas
24 Utah LSU Stanford
25 Nebraska Minnesota Louisville
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO Ohio State should not even be remotely considered to make the top four teams. They lost at home to my cellar dweller VA Tech Hokies.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems to me, that the final four can't be selected until after the Conference Championship games.

If Georgia Tech beats Florida State, Missouri beats Alabama,Wisconsin beats Ohio State or Arizona beats Oregon I would think that should carry some wait.
    I mean these teams already have a playoff of sorts.

If Baylor and or TCU played someone for a Big 12 championship then all the major conference aligned teams could have a playoff against the winners of each major conference.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are all teams playing the same number of games after conf championship is figured in?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    Are all teams playing the same number of games after conf championship is figured in?

Probably not because the split-conferences do not play all of the teams within their conference, which leaves one or more teams with a complaint situation if a team has not been given the opportunity to play a head to head game with the winner of each division, which would constitute a legitimate complaint. The only way to have a "true champion" without giving every team three chances to play each other every year in a best of three series, which would be ridiculous, is to have a round robin tournament like the Big-12, where every team plays each team within the conference one time.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Seems to me, that the final four can't be selected until after the Conference Championship games.

If Georgia Tech beats Florida State, Missouri beats Alabama,Wisconsin beats Ohio State or Arizona beats Oregon I would think that should carry some wait.
    I mean these teams already have a playoff of sorts.

If Baylor and or TCU played someone for a Big 12 championship then all the major conference aligned teams could have a playoff against the winners of each major conference.

The purpose of such conference competition is to determine a champion. The only reasonable way to do that is for each team to play each other one time each year. That is exactly what the Big-12 does, consequently there will be only one champion, so the idea of this one champion playing a team that they have already beaten a second time is silly at best. That is what next year's competition is for...remember the old saying "Wait 'til next year?" Of course, and the idea of one team getting their second chance a year early is flawed to beat hell.

I do like your idea about the champion of each conference playing each other in a playoff for a national champion though as it does have a great deal of merit, but there would need to be access for up an coming teams.
    What's next?