In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Muhammad Ali Vs Rocky Marciano "The Super Fight"

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
Punch-by-punch details of the boxer's records during their prime were entered into an NCR 315 computer. Also their strengths, weaknesses, fighting styles and patterns and other factors and scenarios that the boxers could go through were converted into formulas. The NCR-315 with 20K of memory was supplied by SPS (Systems Programming Services), an independent service bureau in Miami Fla.

Marciano, who had been retired for almost 13 years, lost over 50 pounds and wore a toupee in order to look as he did in his prime. Even for a "fake" fight, Marciano and Ali really looked forward to meeting each other and getting back in the ring.

The two fighters sparred for about 70 to 75 rounds, which were later spliced together according to the computer's findings which had not yet been determined. Every probable scenario was filmed. The final outcome would not be revealed to anyone until the release of the film. Braddock, Louis, Schmeling, Sharkey and Walcott also recorded commentary to be used in the film. Marciano died in a plane crash three weeks after filming wrapped.

On January 20, 1970, the fight was shown only once in 1500 theaters over closed-circuit television in the United States, Canada, and throughout Europe. It grossed $5 million. The computer had determined that Marciano would knock Ali out in the 13th round and the film was edited to present that outcome. All prints of the fight except one were supposed to be immediately destroyed, per Woroner's stipulation. However, many theaters played the show long after January 20th.

After watching the film, Ali reportedly said "That computer was made in Alabama," joking that Marciano was favored because he was white.

The Super Fight
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    having watched some of Marciano's late career efforts and most all of CC/Ali, i cannot in good conscience believe RM would win. he would not be able to get inside of Ali and the stiff left jab of Ali would not only have stopped the forward progress and rythmn it would have cut Rocky's face to ribbons in short order to force a stoppage. Ali had a way of flicking the wrist on his jab to make it a scalpel when he wanted to. his quickness even back peddling enabled him to avoid the heavy crushing blows and make it into a grazing shot, negating the full force. don't forget the amount of punishment Ali was able to absorb either when he did mix it up inside, THINK Frasier fights. nope my money was on Ali in this fight, even if it was computer.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,038 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They both could take a pounding but Ali was bigger, had a longer reach he was much stronger and was truly a more skilled boxer
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,038 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The really good fight would have been Marciano vs Frazier
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ali is the greatest fighter that ever lived, none will approach his greatness in our lifetime, if ever.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that Ali was the best until he was stripped of his title. When he returned about three years later he was never quite the same, although he did have his stellar performances, until Holmes literally scrambled his brains. Even now I look back on him as my favorite heavyweight ever.
    What's next?
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ali was a better athlete, half a head taller and had almost a foot longer reach.
    Marciano had little short arms, and was essentially a thug in a boxing ring.

Hard to imagine Ali letting Marciano get in close enough to do serious damage.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marciano retired undefeated...Cassius Clay was a good fighter,but I will always believe Sonny Liston took a dive...A guy I grew up with in my neighborhood ,fought Cassius twice in the light heavy weight division Golden Gloves.....He came very close to beating him...he was tall and rangy like Clay...long arms as well and a stiff jab...but,he never had the training Clay had.....he fought him again as a professional in a box-off to see who would meet Liston....you know who won...but Jeff Davis, with what knowledge and training showed up and gave a good credit of himself...Clay the best? Maybe, but other fighters were good also...I always liked Clay,because boxing was dead until came he out with his mouth, and I knew he would persevere.People went to see him beat...
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Marciano retired undefeated...Cassius Clay was a good fighter,but I will always believe Sonny Liston took a dive...A guy I grew up with in my neighborhood ,fought Cassius twice in the light heavy weight division Golden Gloves.....He came very close to beating him...he was tall and rangy like Clay...long arms as well and a stiff jab...but,he never had the training Clay had.....he fought him again as a professional in a box-off to see who would meet Liston....you know who won...but Jeff Davis, with what knowledge and training showed up and gave a good credit of himself...Clay the best? Maybe, but other fighters were good also...I always liked Clay,because boxing was dead until came he out with his mouth, and I knew he would persevere.People went to see him beat...

Percy Price, a Marine boxer beat him prior to his Olympic debut. Two other Marines beat him as well. Still, he was my favorite heavyweight.
    What's next?