In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

16 Incher Away .......

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
Great shot of a 16" projectile leaving a 50 caliber gun !

tumblr_nchen80Luu1rjb5e2o1_1280.jpg

[;)][^][8D]
It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the picture. That is a real gun talking.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Now that's the definition of packin' heat!
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Sure hate to be on the receiving end of that pass!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Now I know that I am not a military planner, I've been told that numerous times; but I am a taxpayer.

An Arleigh Burke-class destroyer costs around $680 million dollars and you get one five inch gun and some missiles. With Iowa Class you not only get nine massive 16" guns, but you also get the missiles and a dozen 5" guns as a bonus.

I find it hard to believe that the nearly $1.5 billion cost of two new destroyers would not have provided sufficient funding to keep two of the Iowa Class battleships in service for several more years. Hell,they are paid for.

Unfortunately, just like the plan to eliminate the A-10 Warthog, any time something had been paid for, all interest in it disappears and the feeling is that a old piece of hardware needs to be eliminated to make room for something new.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,620 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the post
    not much compares to the sight of the battleships when they fire off those big guns . I can imagine the noise is a tad loud also
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Now I know that I am not a military planner, I've been told that numerous times; but I am a taxpayer.

An Arleigh Burke-class destroyer costs around $680 million dollars and you get one five inch gun and some missiles. With Iowa Class you not only get nine massive 16" guns, but you also get the missiles and a dozen 5" guns as a bonus.

I find it hard to believe that the nearly $1.5 billion cost of two new destroyers would not have provided sufficient funding to keep two of the Iowa Class battleships in service for several more years. Hell,they are paid for.

Unfortunately, just like the plan to eliminate the A-10 Warthog, any time something had been paid for, all interest in it disappears and the feeling is that a old piece of hardware needs to be eliminated to make room for something new.

You are so going to mess up my plans to buy tons of surplus cordite at pennies on the dollar. [:D]

Of course, you're right. As the UK found during the Falklands, a steel hull has some significant advantages over lightweight alloy when it comes to warships.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    getting rid of the good stuff intentionally weakens AMERICA...to many muslims in DC
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You are comparing Humvees to Abrams tanks, Mark. Had the Iowa Class remained in commission, they would have required the anti-submarine and anti-aircraft capacity of the Burkes for protection. So, you don't save the money of the Burkes, you continue to pay what would now probably be in excess of 200 million a year to operate the Iowas (it was $ 60 million per year in 1991) plus the cost of the Burkes and the cost to operate them.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $200,000,000.00 per year = 3, maybe 4 Executive vacations !

[:0][:(!][;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thought you were talking about my prowess.[:D]
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots
    $200,000,000.00 per year = 3, maybe 4 Executive vacations !

[:0][:(!][;)]

[:D]
    Only if Michelle doesn't go shopping.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Nice picture...[:)]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,068 ******
    edited November -1
    [^][^][^][8D][8D][8D]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,620 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie having dreams of grandeur [:D]
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    thought you were talking about my prowess.[:D]
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I THINK they even had a nuclear capable round or maybe had done testing of nukes out of 16" guns.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Good Old Days" are long gone. . . [V]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

You are comparing Humvees to Abrams tanks, Mark. Had the Iowa Class remained in commission, they would have required the anti-submarine and anti-aircraft capacity of the Burkes for protection. So, you don't save the money of the Burkes, you continue to pay what would now probably be in excess of 200 million a year to operate the Iowas (it was $ 60 million per year in 1991) plus the cost of the Burkes and the cost to operate them.

That amounts to about 5 golf weekends for the POTUS.
  • Options
    htredneckhtredneck Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    660 pounds of black powder makes for one hell of a BOOM!
    If that photo was from the Jersey, I could very well have been the one that fired it.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    16 incher away
    my wife says that to me all the damn time.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Night Stalker
    Shot over..

Splash over [:)]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you have seen or stood up next to a 16 inch naval projectile, or seen pictures of a man next to one, it's difficult to fathom just how big they are:

http://www.*/2013/07/03/save-the-navys-mark-7-16-inch50-caliber-cannons-big-sticks-speak-loudly-videos/
    What's next?
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Unless you have seen or stood up next to a 16 inch naval projectile, or seen pictures of a man next to one, it's difficult to fathom just how big they are:

http://www.*/2013/07/03/save-the-navys-mark-7-16-inch50-caliber-cannons-big-sticks-speak-loudly-videos/

Very educational link. Thanks!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    16 incher away
    my wife says that to me all the damn time.
    Alrighty then.......She wants ya to get yer chainsaw outta the livin' roon
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

Very educational link. Thanks!

You're welcome, Dave, thank you!
    What's next?