In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Time to move on..

edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
I have worked at my current job for 15 years. We go a new supervisor 6 months ago. He is fresh out of college with a degree in business management. I helped him out the first few months to show him the ropes. Now he is making changes with out consulting anyone and reprimanding people for not following imaginary rules. AS the last straw he called me a liar and said I lacked the character to give him advise. So I have had it and am looking hard for a new job.

Comments

• Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that, I hope you find a better job.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If you have jobs in your area that allow you the option of quiting and moving on then by all means do so. Most folks around here are stuck where they are (if they are not being laid off) with no chance of finding any new jobs.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wish you the best in your search hope which ever path you take ends in your favor , The sad part is your story sounds way to commom anymore
  • Options
    9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that. Been there, etc.

But on a happier note, are you gonna go all Johnny Paycheck on his *?
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just make sure you get the sequence right. Find new job. Quit old job. Find new job. Quit old job.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    1. Do not quit
    2. He is new at managing. And probably not excellent at it.
    3. If you have an HR department, go speak to them.
    4. The HR department is NOT ON YOUR SIDE. But they may choose your side.

I have encountered one or three people who have called me a liar.
    Knowing your character as well as I can on the inter-web, I suspect this is the part that is chaffing your * the most.

Resist the impulse to announce you are going to kick his * and if you don't, THEN you're a liar. (Those announcements don't end well- trust me) [:I]

It's easiest to get a job when you have one.
    Look now. Cause you can't stay there. [:(]

I wish you the best. Dammit. Loos like they might have made a really bad hire upstream from you.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I agree. If you say you are going to kick his *, then you have to kick his *.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Take him 'fishin' [;)]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and use him for bait...he stinks enuff
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    Take him 'fishin' [;)]

"Nah, I didn't do nuttin'! I mean, he just fell outta' the boat like I said. Anchor? Oh yeah, well when he went over the side he had the rope all tangled 'round his feets, see. An' I figgered he'd have a lot harder time swimmin' with the rope hooked to the boat like that so I just tossed it over the side. Weren't much of an anchor anyway...weighed to dang much! I figger he musta thought that anchor was pretty dang good afterall cuz he went divin' right after it! Damnedest thing too; after it got dark and I ran outta' beer I got tired of waitin' on his sorry butt and came back home."

LOL... What a fishin' story!!! [:D][:D]
  • Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    No threats to kick his * and no quitting until I find a new job. I have been unhappy with my job for a while but this is the final straw. I have a few resumes out already.

My new supervisor, The new HR manager and the plant manager are all college buddies. They just want to change everything and people are jumping ship left and right. We were told months ago that the old ways are out and everything will be their way.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    My Military training comes in real Handy for this very Problem. Know how many 2nd Lt's I've been stuck with.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    My Military training comes in real Handy for this very Problem. Know how many 2nd Lt's I've been stuck with.
    I'm gonna guess you never got stuck with any of 'em... They just sorta 'blew off'. [:D]
    So's to say...
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is why I work for myself. I also put the right people in charge. I looked for not only experience, but someone with a personality . Not someone with a big head that wants to change things.I always hire a forman-supervisor from within.

I would go over his head to the boss and get this straighten out. If you like your job and put 15 years in, then I would do what it takes to save it. JMHO
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Throughout my business career, I encountered many purported to be excellent managers. Majority were not. The "Peter Principle" takes over, and these folks usually do not last. Moral to the story, keep a low profile, and wait until his inevitable resignation/termination takes place.
  • Options
    dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iknow how you feel as I have been there and done that
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    See if you can get him promoted so you don't have to deal with him any more.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    1FMJ1FMJ Member Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My boss wanted to fier me for having a bottle of water on the job.
    I told him I wanted to put a 45 bullet in his head. Nuff said.<1FMJ>
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I know the feeling, but good jobs are scarce. Think it over before you do something you may later regret. JMO.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never heard of any company hiring someone "fresh out of college" and putting them into any kind of leadership role.

Anyone that calls you a liar is not fit to work for period.

Just leave- no big stink, no try and get rid of him, just get the hell out of there as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1FMJ
    My boss wanted to fier me for having a bottle of water on the job.
    I told him I wanted to put a 45 bullet in his head. Nuff said.<1FMJ>
    Man, how did that work out for you?
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edgecam, if the top three are that entrenched, there's no saving the company anyway. The time to jump ship is while some of it is still above water. It's kinda like liberals running things.

grumpygy, by the time I made first looey, I had already realized that the zebras really ran the show. It was lesson that served me well all the way through LC.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to learn to be a politician. Theres a million ways to get rid of someone like that. You have to keep quiet and use your brain. Sooner or later they will, (with your help) hang their selves.