In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30/06 , a interesting short read

outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
bullet.jpg

The Best Cartridge Ever? by David E. Petzal

(C&P from FIELD & STREAM - March'04. Note: I did cut a few lines of bs to make it read quicker, ODTX)

"IF YOU WERE TO COUNT UP THE BIG-GAME cartridges available today, starting at .243 and ending at .45/70, you would come up with no fewer than 95.

"It was not always thus. If you had made the same list in the early 1950s, it wouldn't have in-cluded more than 20 or so big-game rounds. They now exist in almost unimaginable profusion. But the big-game cartridge that was most popular in the repressed '50s, and is today, and probably will be 20 years from now, is an ancient number developed three years after the Wright brothers flew at Kitty Hawk.

"CATCHING UP WITH THE KAISER
The .30/06 was originally "U.S. Cartridge, Model Of 1903," loaded with a slow-moving 220-grain bullet, and designed for the Springfield Model 1903 bolt-action rifle.

"However,
in 1905 the Imperial German Army came up with an 8mm (.323) round, which fired a lighter, faster bullet that badly outranged the'03. Not to be outdone, the U.S. Army modified the '03 to take a 150-grain bullet that could reach out to where the Huns were and renamed it "U.S. Cartridge, Model of 1906." Because that was a mouthful, people have called it the .30/06.

"AN IDEAL BALANCE
What the Army achieved in the '06 was a cartridge that struck an ideal bal-ance between power and recoil. It has killed every kind of big game in North America, but its kick can be managed by just about every-one. The '06 can also handle a wider range of bullet weights than any other cartridge. At the light end, you can go as low as 220 grains, whereas at the upper, 110-grain slugs are avail-able. This will take you from mice to moose.

"Moreover,
the '06 is now a lot more power-ful than when it first appeared, because the slow-burning gunpowders we have today produce much higher velocities than the propellants that were available before World War I. For example, the standard muzzle velocity for the Army-issue 150-grain bullet was 2700 fps, but most current factory loadings will chronograph at 2900 or so. The velocity increase is even more pronounced with handloads. This occurs right through the range of bullet weights.

"WEIGHTY MATTERS
Because there are so many bullet weights available, '06 users often snort and fa-rt in confusion over which to use. Here's a brief guide:

125- AND 130-GRAIN: These light weights are suitable for varmints, but the '06 kicks too much for high-volume shooting, and anyway it would be like swatting flies with a sledgehammer.

150-GRAIN: For my money, this is the best of all the deer-shooting weights-it travels fast, expands violently, and puts them down in their tracks more often than not.

165-GRAIN: A number of very knowl-edgeable shooters think this may be the best all-around weight, combining relatively high velocity with enough heft to take on most crit-ters.

180-GRAIN: It's the consensus favorite for best all-around weight. There is very little out there that a good, tough 180-grain bullet can't handle.

[img][/img]200-GRAIN: For big beasts only: A zoo-grain .3o-caliber bullet is not the fastest thing around, but it bucks wind well, re-tains plenty of impact downrange, and provides incredible penetration. It's my choice for elk, moose, bear, or the bigger African plains game.

"A COUPLE OF CAUTIONS I would not want a .30/06 that weighed less than 7-1/2 pounds with scope. A lighter gun can be built but will knock your block off.

Lastly, there are a lot of '06s that have been out there for a long, long time, and some of them are not up to handling the high pressures of modern loads. If you have an old gun and have any doubts about it, take it to a gunsmith for a checkup."

Comments

• paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    270, 270, 270 an even shorter read!!![:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    270? PA

Oh, you mean that underdeveloped, runty, stepchild of the mighty "30-Govt-06"? [:D][:D][}:)][:D]

Stir, Stir

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    quote:"IF YOU WERE TO COUNT UP THE BIG-GAME cartridges available today, starting at .243 and ending at .....

The .243 is really a "BIG-GAME" cartridge? I was going to start with this size in my first rifle, and I'm a target shooter. Admittedly, I want to shoot @ 100+ yards.
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sorta like the 7.62x54r myself...[8D]

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    I think they forgot to add the .223. Obviously the best hunting cartridge ever made. [:o)]

stir stir stir

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Pa,
    ya know I'm still shootin' the 270!
    Dad always shot an 06, but gave it to the older brother when he quit hunting. Just been shootin' the 270 so long, wouldn't feel right with anything else. 'sides, here in Texas it's all the "gun" a man needs!

jsergovic,
    one of my best buds is as good a hunter as there is in the woods,
    he shoots nothing but the 243 and he's taken some mighty big pigs and such. Flat shooter for sure.

Okay, where's that Allen dude from way up north? [;)]
    To join in with Tail-stir-gunner! [:D]
    edited November -1
    Pigs Did I mention I want to hunt pigs!!![:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Love my '06's! Best dang cartridge ever made![:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Love my '06's! Best dang cartridge ever made!

Ah your getting old and senile!!![:D] You ain't been the same since that female coworker followed ya in the mens room!! L.O.L. Im still giggilin over that one!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Pa,
    plenty of them on the river,
    but ya have to hunt 'em with a pointed stick!
    Special hunt we do for our northern neighbors!!![:D]

Actually have film of six young'uns that swam the river,
    saw us and still ran right through our camp.
    Promise, when we do the trip you'll see plenty.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    hey guys, can someone say something good about the 8MM? I got two Mausers on order from SOG.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    You ain't been the same since that female coworker followed ya in the mens room!!

Used to see her twice a day, every day. I seen her maybe twice since that happened. Funny, she just dosn't get out like she used to.[:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    She must have seen something that bothered her sensibilities.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr, you can always get a good gunsmith to run a 8mm-06 reamer in them things!![:D][:D][;)]
    OleDuk

And trooper, that lefty sniper ain't shooting no 7.62x54R![:D]
    edited November -1
    Yeah, but OleDuk, I ..bought a ...buttload of 8MM mil. surplus ammo for my two Mausers. How much does it cost to ream those babys out to 30-06 or .308?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    The best thing that happened to a 30-06 was when they necked it down and made a .270 out of it.[:0][:D]

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • RedchesRedches Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 270 is a good gun fellers but its certainly not "too big" by any stretch for most big whitetails in the US. Its about perfect for a doe standing at 200 yards in south texas but its not something I would take to Canada. Its not an "all around caliber" in my OP. Could be the best Antelope type rifle out there...(except for the 280...chuckle)
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: The best thing that happened to a 30-06 was when they necked it down and made a .270 out of it.

If this is true then wouldn't the .243 even be taking this logic a step further, in turn being even better then the .270?

LOVIN MY 30/06[8D][:D][8D]
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    I am currently building a 06 with a 98 Mauser action and a Boyds "varmiter" stock. She will sport an 22" heavy fluted SS barrel that'll be tap and drilled for a Redfield scope mount. Have not decided on the optics yet but cannot wait to finish and post pics here for our members to enjoy.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
    edited November -1
    quote:If this is true then wouldn't the .243 even be taking this logic a step further, in turn being even better then the .270?

Nope!!! Last time I checked the 243 was a necked down .308!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR
    The 8mm Mauser is the European equivalent of the 30-06, what one will do the other can also.
    You could ream to 8mm-06, but you might have some magazene length issues. Work up a good handload to CIP specs (or purchase Norma factory loads) and you will gain a whole new respect for the 7.92x57 cartridge. The Americian factory stuff is kept at very low levels to prevent blowing up the very early (pre-1910? built) ones that use a .318 dia bullets.
    To go to a 30-06 or 308Win requires a new barrel, as those 2 use .308 dia bullets as opposed to the your Mausers .323 dia.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old news. But good reading.
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR i have a 1904 in 8mm that is a great shooter and will be shooting it this weekend at our military style rifle match.
    I let my father-in-law hold on to my 06 and replaced it with a 300wsm and a 6.5 x 55 two for one is always agood deal to me.
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I have both 30-06 and .280 - I Like both. I load up the 30 for heavy and the .280 for light/medium. I'm with ya Redches on the .280[:D]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info on the 8MM. I can't wait to get them and do some shooting.

• OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr, tailgunner has it absolutely right!! The 8mm x 57 Mauser is no slouch the way the Europeans load it.
    Also as he says, you'd have to re-barrel it to convert to .30-06 or .308.
    OleDuk[:)]
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dheffley
    She is probably still in a daze trying to figure out how water could run through something that small![:)]