In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thinking of buying a new lawnmower

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
The Snapper I bought 3 years ago just isn't up to the task, I am always working on it. Right now the brackets for lifting the deck up are broken off and I have to weld them tonight as well as the muffler is broken where the pipe goes into the bottem. I need a commercial model for the mowing I do.

My brothers are bugging me to get a Woods, they are really nice but it just bugs me spending so much on a lawn mower. I think I will take the plunge since I probaly wouldn't need another one for 10 years or so and since my wife does 75% of the mowing if something breaks down the mower sits until I get home to fix it which usually requires a part that I can't get the next day so I really need something that is as reliable as Woods mowers are.

With all the genitically modified crops out there why can't they make a type of grass that just grows to about 2" tall and stays that way all summer[:)]

Who has a Woods?

Comments

• Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will not recommend a brand. But I will give you a word of advice.

Stay away from anything that has a Briggs & Stratton engine right now.
    Husqvarna has had so many problems with them on their push mowers that they started putting Kohlers their Front wheel drive models this year. If they start offering more models with Kohler engines look out.

As far as Woods go. If you have a huge estate or a golf course. Go for one.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    at last count about 18 "ladies" had a woods.[:0]
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your wife doing most of the cutting. Let her make the call. Finds something that starts easy. That eliminates newer brigs and stratton.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take strong look at a Grasshopper/Kohler engine. Not quite a commercial mower, but strong enough to get the job done.

I bought mine used with 200 hours, have about 2 1/2 acres of yard. After 5 years the most expensive part I have replaced has been the mower clutch $350.00. (I also have a grass catcher on the unit which will cut back on the HP., but it still gets the job done.

Mowing today, just taking a lunch break[:)]
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I would reccomend a lawn tractor that takes implements, if you are going to dive in. Can you push snow with a woods?
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    how big is the lawn? Over an acre? I'd suggest a used walk behind bobcat. They are commercial mowers that cost upwards of $2500 new that you can get used for $300 or so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    I would reccomend a lawn tractor that takes implements, if you are going to dive in. Can you push snow with a woods?

No, but the 4250 with loader and a snowblower behind it can. Just a lawnmower is what I need right now. My dad has a larger simplicity with a big tiller behind it for the garden and there are a couple of tractors with loaders on around here so I don't need any of the other attachments and once you get a bigger tractor like that then the mowing around the house, trees, etc. get alot harder than with a zero turn.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

Husqvarna has had so many problems with them on their push mowers that they started putting Kohlers their Front wheel drive models this year. If they start offering more models with Kohler engines look out.

That is the EXACT opposite of what I found, working for TSC, the TSC that sold MORE Cub Cadets than ANY other TSC store in the nation.

While I was working there Kohler engines failed 10 to 1 over the Briggs, Kohler engines were busting rods and blowing valve trains.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "DIXIE CHOPPER"..Never look back!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    how big is the lawn? Over an acre? I'd suggest a used walk behind bobcat. They are commercial mowers that cost upwards of $2500 new that you can get used for $300 or so.

Walk behind is absolutely out, here is a google earth snapshot of my place.

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post a pic here but there is problably 3-4.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have experience only with Woods (7' 3-point mounted behind tractor) as far as commercial goes. They get the job done. Probably overkill for 3-4 acres.
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal

With all the genitically modified crops out there why can't they make a type of grass that just grows to about 2" tall and stays that way all summer[:)]

Who has a Woods?

Try this:
    http://www.lawngrasses.com/odd-varieties/dichondra.html
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    a big investment,but hey cut a acre in 15 minutes...
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always had a lot of respect for Briggs engines.Most are over worked,under maintained but they keep on going.The last few years Briggs has a problem with engines,even well maintained,throwing rods,dropping valves and other bad things that should not happen.From what I understand Kohler has its share of problems.If I had to buy a new mower it would have to be powered by a Kawasaki or Honda engine.I hope Briggs and Kohler can get back on track and build quality engines again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by xxx97

Then spend a week in bed from getting jarred to death on of the the things.

Been there and done that. Could not get rid of that thing fast enough. I will stick with my Gravely's and Ferris.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by xxx97

Then spend a week in bed from getting jarred to death on of the the things.

Been there and done that. Could not get rid of that thing fast enough. I will stick with my Gravely's and Ferris.
    Hire a responsible kid, from your neighborhood to run it.
    The first time U see him fire it up, without checking the oil/hyd. fluid, tell him if he runs it without doing a preflight again...NO MAS.
    ( actually, they won't even start, if the oil./hyd. is low)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The first time U see him fire it up, without checking the oil/hyd. fluid, tell him if he runs it without doing a preflight again...NO MAS.

I take care of 48 yards a week this year. 12 a day from Mon to Thur. Cut back from last year so that I can have more time off and time to do other things. I have a very responsible young man working with me. He will be a Senior in high school this Fall. Wants to join the military as a Chaplin after school. Goes to Church two or three times a week, does not drink or do drugs and is not afraid to ask questions about any job or thing when it comes to the equipment. I pay him $10.00 a yard for helping and he gives his Mom (Single) 1/2 of what ever I pay him each week just to help her out.

He is at the door every morning around 8am and had already checked the oil in the truck, fluids in the machines, tires, greased the trimmers gear boxes, took inventory of the supplies etc.

I know a lot of drug heads and worthless types around here that would love to only work 8 to 9 hours a day, 4 days a week and take home $480+. His kind are rare and hard to find these days.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    You go Les. The only problem I have with these zero turns around here is the damn hills.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I take care of 48 yards a week this year. 12 a day from Mon to Thur. Cut back from last year so that I can have more time off and time to do other things. I have a very responsible young man working with me. He will be a Senior in high school this Fall. Wants to join the military as a Chaplin after school. Goes to Church two or three times a week, does not drink or do drugs and is not afraid to ask questions about any job or thing when it comes to the equipment. I pay him $10.00 a yard for helping and he gives his Mom (Single) 1/2 of what ever I pay him each week just to help her out.

He is at the door every morning around 8am and had already checked the oil in the truck, fluids in the machines, tires, greased the trimmers gear boxes, took inventory of the supplies etc.

I know a lot of drug heads and worthless types around here that would love to only work 8 to 9 hours a day, 4 days a week and take home $480+. His kind are rare and hard to find these days.
    That's Y I recommended it.Their are kids that want to work..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    You go Les. The only problem I have with these zero turns around here is the damn hills.

Two tricks to using a Z-Turn on hills.

#1. Keep the front of the machine angled uphill. As long as you keep the front angled uphill or go straight up forward and back down. You will be ok.

#2. Use caution on overly dry or wet grass. Dry grass on dry ground can be as slick as ice at times. Same goes for wet or damp grass.
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We mow about 12 acres each week, all hills. For the really steep hill behind the house, I have a JD X540 with a differential lock and power steering. For everything else, I have my Scag Zero Turn with a 29hp Kawasaki and a 72" deck. It usually takes us about 5 hours to mow everything. I love my Scag, although it can be rough riding in places. I've mowed over saplings and sticks with this thing and have whittled down small stumps with it and it still mows the yard very nicely.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

That is the EXACT opposite of what I found, working for TSC, the TSC that sold MORE Cub Cadets than ANY other TSC store in the nation.

While I was working there Kohler engines failed 10 to 1 over the Briggs, Kohler engines were busting rods and blowing valve trains.

+1, I wouldn't buy anything that DOESN'T say Briggs.

Jon
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with what bpost said. The neighbors around me have had a lot more problems with the Kohler engines than the Briggs. One neighbor bought a Husky 25hp Kohler engine from Lowe's and brand new it would use a quart of oil every time he mowed the yard. They did give him another new mower and said they had had a lot of problems with the Kohler engines within the company.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try them out on rough ground before you buy. Some will kill you they ride so rough.