In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

more "children" in the family...

Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
A lady I work with is in the process of going through a divorce. When her soon to be ex moved out, he left a few things behind. Asorted power tools, cans full of nuts & bolts, various garage type items, etc. She asked me at work last night if I could help her take some things to the dump this morning. Being the friends we are , I said yes. After we finished hauling the stuff that she hadn't given to her neighbor, she offered to pay me for helping her out. I told her I didn't want any thing, and that that's what friends are for. Now, a couple of the things he left were some guns. Two of which she gave to me. One of them is a 20 gauge 870 express he used for dove, and the other is a Bersa 380. I'm familiar with the shotgun as I have a 12 gauge 870 I hunt deer with, but I don't know anything about the other. Can somebody please tell me (good-bad) about how reliable it is?

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did something I would not want to be involved in. That can spell trouble, hauling his stuff away and taking his guns,no no no not me.
  • Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm nut I was hesitant in taking them at first, but considering the circumstances that he left under I don't see any problems arrising in the future.One reason being the fact that he won't be around for 20-30 max.Let me add that being in Illinois, you have to have a FOID card(Firearm Owners Identification) in order to even purchase a firearm, and with him having previously convicted of a felony he couldn't. So, she was the one who applied for the card and purchased them in her name. Couldn't they then be considered a gift from her if anything was brought up about them? [This message has been edited by Brth729 (edited 03-29-2002).]
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mmnut has a good point. Depending on your state laws there might be some legal ramifications.The Bersa is a relativly inexpensive piece. I had several over the years. Most have seemed to function OK.
    The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    ElbestaElbesta Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't mess with a mans tools or guns. If the dovorce is not final that could still be his property.Elbesta
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In some states all property is communal until the divorce is final. As a matter of fact, the man has just as much of a legal claim to the woman's underwear as she does. However, this also means that both partners have equal right in selling a vehicle. Even if a vehicle title is in the name of the man, the woman has every right to sell that vehicle with or without his consent. I'm no lawyer but I've gone round and round with similar cases as an investigator.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    If he`s goin` away for 20 to 30 years,he ain`t gunna miss them!!Although,if he`s the type that gets locked up for 20 years..who knows what he might have used the handgun for. The Bersa is a good little gun,had one 18 years ago,and sell lots of them now,at work.For arond $250..it`s one of the best bargains around in a new pistol..218