In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith & Wesson Model:457?

trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
I am just wanting to know if anyone here has had any experience with this peticular weapon.Accuracy and reliability are keys.

Comments

• Options
    SLIDER-in-KYSLIDER-in-KY Member Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a S&W 457 for about six years now and have zero complaints what-so-ever. They are very reliable, and a decent concealed carry gun. Accuracy was good. They are supposed to be S&W's economy line of compact 45's. If I had to do it over agin, I would definately buy another one.

EMSParamedic.gif
    I'm clear, you're clear, everybody's clear...SHOCK!!!
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I have one and have had it since S&W first introduced them. Our Fish & Wildlife Officers used to carry them till the state made a better deal with Glock! Great gun, extra mags are pricey though, reliable, have shot all types of ammo with zero jams/failures, and good weight wise for CCW. Would but another if chanced upon one at a good price. Only draw back is that the mag bottom makes up the bottom part of grip. Without a mag in the frame it feels funny in the hand. Also it is double action only.

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • Options
    SLIDER-in-KYSLIDER-in-KY Member Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To the best I remember, the 457 is not double action only. The hammer is cocked after the first shot, thus reducing the trigger pull after the first shot as long as you don't decock.

EMSParamedic.gif
    I'm clear, you're clear, everybody's clear...SHOCK!!!
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Let me restate it, if you carry one in the pipe you will be shooting double action on first round while hammer will stay cocked on second round unless you put safety back on. However you will not cock it with your thumb after decocking. Not truly double action only but close enough. The trigger pull is long on shots that have the hammer in decock position. Would be much better if S&W offered an extended hammer for it though. Smith & Wesson calls them "traditional double action" on the 457 but autos with a hammer you can cock they call them "standerd double action" as per Blue Book.

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe Smith and Wesson refers to this as "Traditional Double Action" which is different from DAO.

I've owned a 457 and I'd like another since S&W has begun producing them in stainless. Reliability is flawless with all types of ammo and accuracy is VERY acceptable. It's not a match-grade gun but it is faithful and you'll hit what you shoot if you do your part. Great gun.