In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

College Accreditation

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I need someone to educate me about college accreditation. If a college is accredited only through the Southern Association of Colleges is that considered "regional accreditation"? I'm trying to talk with someone about colleges and there is a college of interest that is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges. Should a college be accredited through more than just that source of accreditation or is that satisfactory?

Comments

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends. Transfer of grades and coursework from a regionally accredited school (as with the Southern Association of Colleges) to a nationally accredited school is sometimes a problem. However, if the idea is to just get a BA (without matriculating to a graduate, law or medical school), I doubt it matters much, unless school recognition is important for job placement. More important, I think, is to know why the school is not fully accredited, as this may be an indicator of other problems (e.g., substandard faculty, facilities, curricula, etc.). To my mind, if you're going to spend 4+ years of your life getting a degree, you should do it at a fully accredited school if at all possible.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Never heard of that genre of accredation. If I were you, I'd call a nearby state college and ask them. Is it possible that this is a business/trade school accredation?

It could be that credits earned there are not transferrable to "major" academic organizations, which (long-term) would make attending a waste of time, energy, and money.

Let us know, OK??

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    All I know about accreditation is for Engineering. If your Engineering degree isn't from an ABET accredited college it ain't worth much..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig

There is only one recognized accreditation body.

Actually, there are six.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    What are they or what is it?

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Accredidation has to do with who will accept credits from other organizations. It is a way of keeping education on an even keel. This worked for many years untill the computer age. In the 60's and 70's there were no accredited organizations for programmong and computer language. This is just one example. It took over a decade for accredited organization to acknowledge this type of education. To say that a person who has graduated from a non accredited organiztion is wasting his or her time is foolish. Ask the people at NASA where they went to get alot of there people. Ask Microsoft where they went to get there people. Then there is IBM and DEC and many other organizations. Acedemia will come around but only when they beleive they can control the education.
    OK I have rambled long enough. I have my Bachelors from UTSA and my Masters From Pacific Western. Both accredited organizations. Many of the peopel I hire do not have this education and earn alot more than I. My 2 cents. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
    edited November -1
    MSA, NEASC, WASC, SACS, NCA and NASC.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope nobody takes what I am about to say as the work of smoke and mirrors. I was trying to get some intelligence on my competition. The "Community College of the Air Force" is the school about which I speak. It is regionally accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges. I am trying to draw a good comparison between the education that the Air Force offers to its airmen to the tuition assistance program offered by the Army. I didn't initially mention the Community College of the Air Force because I didn't want to start up inter-service rivalries. I was hoping for some unbiased opinions on the matter.

I appreciate the responses but there doesn't seem to be a consensus. I will keep searching.