In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cop stabbed at the Donut Shop....

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,160923,00.html

Cop Stabbed During Dunkin' Donuts Heist
Tuesday, June 28, 2005
By Jamie Schram, John Mazor and Andy Geller

Off-Duty Police Officer Hailed as a Hero
BROOKLYN, New York - A heroic off-duty cop was slashed yesterday in a fierce struggle with a vicious punk who was holding up a Brooklyn Dunkin' Donuts (search), cops said.

Officer Vincent Schiavelli, 24, who has made 64 collars in his two years in the NYPD, walked into the shop just as the heist was going down, cops said.

Dramatic surveillance photos show the robber - who wore a Yankee cap and was later identified by cops as 22-year-old Shron Killings - jumped on top of the counter and lunged at the clerk, trying to slash him with a folding knife.

The robber was reaching into the cash register when Schiavelli - wearing a white T-shirt - grabbed him from behind and the two began struggling. The punk, a suspect in two other Dunkin' Donuts robberies with two prior arrests, lunged at the hero cop with his knife but missed.

Schiavelli then got the thug in a bear hug and tried to subdue him. That's when Killings slashed the hero cop in the left side and ran outside, police said. He drove off in a red Kia SUV and was being sought yesterday.

Schiavelli, unaware of his wounds, ran outside and gave chase, but collapsed in pain. He rushed back into the store and called for help.

Schiavelli, who suffered a cut about an inch long where the chest meets the abdomen, was taken to Kings County Hospital, where he was in stable condition. He was kept overnight for observation.

Schiavelli was visited by his parents, Paul and Kathy, and by a steady stream of fellow officers.

"I've been proud of my son since the day he was born," said Kathy as she left the hospital.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly was effusive in his praise of the brave officer. Schiavelli "did a terrific job. We're proud of him. He took immediate action without concern for his own safety," Kelly said.

His actions "represent the finest traditions of the NYPD. If he wasn't there, the clerk may very well have been wounded."

Mayor Bloomberg said, "Although we have come to expect this kind of heroism from our police officers, what makes Officer Schiavelli's actions so exceptional is that he was off duty at the time.

"This young officer, out of uniform and without a partner, didn't hesitate to put himself in harm's way to protect a fellow New Yorker."

The drama at the store at 40 Empire Blvd. in the Prospect Lefferts Gardens (search) section unfolded at 6:40 a.m. as Schiavelli was heading to work at the nearby 71st Precinct in Crown Heights.

The surveillance video showed the robber walking into the shop carrying a dollar in his left hand and ordering a French cruller. No one else was there.

When the clerk turned to get the doughnut, Killings took the folding knife out of his right pocket but held it under the counter.

He gave the dollar to the clerk, who opened the register. At that point, he lunged at the clerk and Schiavelli grabbed him.

As the suspect fled, a witness copied the license plate of the SUV and cops traced it to Killings' mother, who said she lent it to her son.

Cops said Killings was a suspect in a $300 stickup at the same store on May 17 and a $400 holdup at a Dunkin' Donuts on Utica Avenue on May 25.

An accomplice, Jims Medy, 18, was arrested on June 11 in connection with the first robbery.

Killings' prior arrests are for criminal possession of a weapon and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Shalha Khairkhah, the manager of the Prospect Lefferts Gardens shop, said: "We were very lucky the officer was there. Otherwise I don't know what would have happened."

Demetrius Hinson, 23, who works at a Wendy's next door to the doughnut shop, said he moved to Brooklyn two weeks ago from Charlotte, N.C.

"This is all shocking to me," he said. "This doesn't make me want to stay in New York City. It makes me want to grab my things and get out."

Comments

• Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a shame the cop wasn't armed. At least the NYPD knows who this guy is now.

cat.gif
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    What else would you expect from a Yankee fan?

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

My thoughts exactly. You'd never see that kind of behavior from a Red Sox fan!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about the Donuts?.. What about the Donuts?? are they ok ?? Dunkin' Donuts should give this Officer FREE donuts for life...
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought everyone knew.
    Cops = donuts.
    Donuts = cops.
    On duty, off duty, doesn't matter.

Rob a donut shop, GUESS WHAT.....[:0]

This moron deserves to be caught.
    Better yet, the following line would apply.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    cowboy636454cowboy636454 Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time, bring a gun to a knife fight!
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is why most cities have gone to the two-man "partner" system when patrolling donut shops.
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    It took three people to write this article? And, why is this cop a "hero"? This word is getting beat to death like "freedom".

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippohula.gif
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Aren't off-duty cops in New York allowed to carry weapons?

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put your hands up and [:)]back away from the donut

You dudes get lost now, ya hear!
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

Nor a Dodger's fan....[:0][:D][:0][:D]

Everyone is somebody's "weirdo".
  • Options
    John N.John N. Member Posts: 421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought it was illegal to hunt in a baited field.[:D]

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." -- James Dean
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Careful with the Yankee fan jokes [:D] We know Rembrandt is a die-hard Yankster [:D]

I'll admit. I cheered for the Yankees and the Knicks when I lived in New York but I could never understand the violence of sports fans. My brother participated in the colorguard for Game 1 of the 2003 Division playoffs between the Minnesota Twins and the NY Yankees. My brother and I are Twins fans and always have been since we grew up in the Twin Cities. The colorguard was over and my brother sat down and popped his Minnesota Twins baseball cap (autographed by now [:D]) and members of the Yankees crowd were THROWING THINGS at him! Sorry. I've been to a lot of baseball games (mostly in the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodom but a few in the old Met Stadium when I was a little boy) and will never understand a crowd that gets so violent.

Anyhow....

Real cops don't eat donuts. They eat "PASTRIES"!!!
  • Options
    moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorta like robbing a cop bar - place where cops go off duty! Some people are just down right stupid with a ginat "L" tattoed on their head.

Moose

"I will follow the path of others some of the time, but most of the time I prefer to make my own path." - Mike Moyle
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

Red Sox fans don't visit Dunkin Donuts. . . [;)]

sox.jpgPatriots.jpg41.jpg
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ids - most of the residents of NYC are not given to displays of couth / class. Your brother might have gotten some comments at Fenway, but certainly not been the target of debris. As to Yankee fans - at least those in residence take their etiquette lessons from the owner . . . whose real name is Richard Cranium.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother went along with it and laughed at the whole situation. He shouldn't have done that in the first place since he was in uniform. I think he was trying to get a rise out of folks.