In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How much off for a scar on a new gun?

Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I bought a new Benelli Super 90 Montefeltro with a scar about 1/3" square on the bottom of the forehand stock. It was $749 and new. I saw the same gun new listed for $899 so I thought for $150 off it was worth it. Now I find out it was selling new for $799 so should I just pay the extra $50 get the new one instead to keep the value up?

Mad Dog

Comments

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Screw the value, hopefully you plan on keeping the gun forever, so use it as a tool, not as a piece to hold on to and sell later.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say it depends on what you are going to do with it. Are you buying it with the intent to shoot it and then sell or trade it or are you buying it as a companion in the field? For such a minor blemish, I'd save the $50 and buy it. I bought a SIG P-220 brand new once. It had a blemish from the factory. It was a very tiny pin-gentleman sized wear mark on the finish of the slide. It wasn't damaged. There was just one tiny uneven spot in the bluing. The price tag was cut by $100 for that blemish that I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't pointed out to me.

If you are buying the gun with the intent of taking it out in the field and shooting the heck out of it then I wouldn't think twice. I'd buy it at the reduced price. If it's going to be a gun safe queen that you plan on selling or trading down the road then I'd go with the new gun.
  • bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife bought me a Dale Earnhardt Senior and a Junior set of matching 597`s. the junior had a chip in the stock, about a 1/4in round.They gave my wife a 75.00 discount due to the chip. I sent it into remington, it took them about 2 months, and they sent the gun back with a new stock. So now I have 2 perfect guns and still have the 75.00 discount.So it was well worth while to send the gun back to the company,as this gun is a collector.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bluegoose11...All due respect my man but what makes these guns "collectors"? Is it the fact that they say Dale Earnhardt on them? If they're going to be "safe queens" as an investment, I'd say you've narrowed down the field of those people who'd be interested in buying them to only those people who:
    1)Admired Earnhardt AND
    2)want that particular gun.

Just my .02

Mudge the curious

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And the foul language exterminator nails Idsman[:D] Pin-gentleman, LOL

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok.... reverse the letters kcirp-nip