In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fuel Filter Question Re: 2003 Honda Civic EX

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
I just hit 36,000 miles and I have this knee-jerk reaction to replace the fuel filter. I always buy high-end filters that have the highest level of filtration (typically NAPA Gold filters). I went and bought a NAPA Gold fuel filter for my car and nobody can find the filter on my car. I busted out a manual and talked w/an independent service station. They told me it's located on TOP of my fuel tank.

I would have to pull open the back seat of my car and open up some panel located in my trunk. Then I would have to REMOVE the entire Fuel Pump assembly and I (along with any mechanic doing the job) could accidently "F" a lot of things up. He told me that there is NO NEED to replace the fuel filter unless fuel pressure falls below 40 psi.

I'm sorry but I believe in flushing fluids, replacing flushed fluids and replacing all filters regularly. I don't wait for filters to clog or systems to fail before I replace things.

Does this make sense to ANYBODY???

I refuse to go to Honda because they are just going to tell me to follow the Owner's Manual which says the fuel filter is good practically forever. I don't believe it. Honda doesn't manufacture the filter.

Comments

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain,but,IF IT AIN'T BROKE,DON'T FIX IT!!

I've got the same problem with my Dodge Ram.93,000 miles and the filter is in the tank.Actually they say it's not really even a filter,just some kinda screen .Runnin' good,so I ain't messin' with it.

At least all have to do is remove some panel to get to it.I'll have to either drop the tank or pull off the bed.[:(]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1998 Honda CRV and just changed the fuel filter at 100000 miles and I believe it could have went a lot longer.
    I have two old Honda Accords (1987 & 1988) of which I bought the 1988 new and have over 300000 miles on it and have changed the fuel filter once as the car was losing power because of it.
    My daughter has a 2004 Honda Civic and I want worry about the filter until at least a 100000.

I don't know where the fuel filter is on the Civic and my daughter is at work now, but I will do some checking. On the old Accords you have to take the right back wheel off and it is under the car against the tank.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh I know where it's at. It's on TOP of the fuel tank. Gotta access it through some trap-door in the trunk.
  • Options
    Johnny45Johnny45 Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    car manufactures today make a VERY SMALL profit from selling cars. They make most of their money from their credit departments and service departments. That is why they make is very difficult to do routine maintance on vehicles now. They want you to visit a Honda dealer. However, it doesnt sound like you need to change your filter right now. But, if you must, then you have to fork out the money or do it yourself.

I like to change my fuel filters every 30,000, but I have 2 fords and the filters are cheap and very easy to get to.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do preventive maintenance. Just changed the serpentine belt on my truck. It was wore almost thru. and was suppose to last longer. Keeps it on the road and off the hook.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Most newer vehicles have an electric fuel pump mounted in the tank and there is a filter (sock) on the pick-up tube. This filter rarely needs replacement, but is replaced when fuel pump is replaced. Usually there is also a filter somewhere in the line leading to the engine to protect the fuel injectors. This is the one that you should change. Check with mechanics at the honda dealership.

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    NRA Life Member
  • Options
    springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do,you might want to replace the pump too
    While your there. NO
    Maybe at your next filter
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    There might be an access panel under the back seat or under the carpet in the trunk. Toyota was also really good about putting access covers for the fuel pump in the tank, wish GM would follow suit.

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it from a guy that used to work at Honda and owns an 04 Element... They are very picky about things like that when it comes to warranty stuff. If you were to change it out with something that was aftermarket (not Honda OEM) and it were to screw something else up (rare in the case of a fuel filter) they might not help you out. Also what the guy said abot not worrying until the fuel pressure drops below 40psi is a pretty reasonable statement.

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    The fuel filter on these generally doesn't need to be changed for at least 60-100k miles. If you do replace it, get one from a Honda Dealer. It will fit, as opposed to being a universal one that you have. I have 6 years Honda dealer experience, and another 15 of them in the outside world.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know where it's at and how to get to it. It's just the first time I've owned a vehicle where I've been told NOT to change a filter for that long. I appreciate the advice.

cubslovers--Do you like your element? I like Hondas and I thought about trading for an element.

I just got off the phone with Bobby Likis on his Car Clinic radio show. He agreed that the fuel filter should be changed more often but also noted that my system is probably cleaner than most since I only use mid-grade which is a 10% ethanol blend in these parts. He also said it would be wise NOT to change it considering that I am taking a big cross-country trip soon. Better not to mess with something that ain't broke. However, he recommends fuel filter changes every 15,000 miles. That could have something to do with his sponsors.
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Ids...don't know about your Civic, but on my wife's CR-V, the fuel filter is under the hood, up against the fire-wall. The pump is on top of the tank, accessible by going under the back seat. Changed her filter out at 75,000 because the car was having some hesitation issues. Come to find out it was a short in the ignition switch. Was eventually replaced under a recall.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mine is on top of the gas tank. Gotta go through a little trap door in the trunk to get to it. I guess it's actually PART of the fuel pump assembly from what I've been told.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75

cubslovers--Do you like your element? I like Hondas and I thought about trading for an element.

Tell you the truth I'll own one as long as they make em. My wife is the principle driver and I wouldn't want her to drive anything else. She doesn't want anything else either. Ours is 4WD (alltime FWD but senses when a front wheel slips and locks in the rear wheels). The 4wd system is great. I could go to 95% of the places any 4WD chevy or ford can. Of course chevy and ford make some pretty tough 4wd trucks and the Element couldn't climb the crap they can, but how many of us need that capability. Bottom line..... go test drive one, You'll drive it home.

Element01.jpg

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like that kind of system for getting around in the snow and gravel roads. I won't test drive one because I'm afraid I'll drive one home.