In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trigger Lock legislation

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Senate bozos are speaking at the moment about Madatory Trigger lock legislation.
One Senator got up, and said that only 13% of households have trigger locks on their guns- I would really like to know where they got that statistic, cause i know I sure as hell wouldnt tell anyone whether or not I have a gunb, much less a trigger lock on that gun.
The next senator got up and said that 6 in 10 gun owners approve of madatory trigger lock legislation-which begs the question. "If 6 out of ten gun owners approve of trigger lock legislation, how come only 13% of gun owners keep trigger locks on their guns?"
These gun grABBERS ARE WALKING CONTRADICTIONS.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    "These gun grABBERS ARE WALKING CONTRADICTIONS."

Yep!

I have a whole bunch of locks,but none of my guns have one.

Sounds like it's time for a giveaway.[:D]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I didn't know people actually used those things. I have a couple that came with some purchases and thought "hey thats pretty cool, wonder what I can use em for?"

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trigger locks are BS.

Of course they are mandatory in MA.

If you want to keep your gun under lock and key, then do so. But if you want to store your gun in some other secured way (ie within a safe, or your locked apartment), that should be fine too.

For $12 you can buy a steel locking box at any decent pharmacy. Serves the same function as a trigger lock, plus it conceals the gun and can hold other things.

Incidentally, apparently the cable gun locks that come standard with the new Ruger automatics that are being issued in Iraq are highly prized by the locals there as *bicycle* locks.
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody ever seen a middle class white kid on the news for grabbing daddy's gun and accidently shoot'n the neighbor kid?

NO

It's always the * innercity ethnic punk kid that found big brother crack dealer's stolen pistol under the sofa and accidently shoots the neighbor kid while pretending to pop a cap in his *.

My point is that the proposed solution will not solve the problem. P Streety and Cracky D are not going to put trigger locks on their cop poppers, and to be honest, neither am I!

Screw Allah & Have a Great Day!
    faces.jpg
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,422 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I got a couple from a friend who got them from some sherrif's dept. that was giving them out. Work good on tool boxes, although these are a little cheesey.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

I hunt in New York with a couple of guys from Massacusettes. I love wathing them go through the rigamorole of taking off their locks, putting them back on-its funny.
    Sometimes they lose the key-THATS A REAL RIOT! They scramble around looking for the key so that they can unlock their gun so they can go hunt. I told them they should just leave the lkey in the lock.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    "If 6 out of ten gun owners approve of trigger lock legislation, how come only 13% of gun owners keep trigger locks on their guns?"

-Jimmy the cheese man

Maybe the 6 in 10 they have found a good use for them, that they haven't told us about. I never took mine out of the plastic, or out of the box for that matter.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Beermaid-I didnt think of that.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

I hunt in New York with a couple of guys from Massacusettes. I love wathing them go through the rigamorole of taking off their locks, putting them back on-its funny.

Sometimes they lose the key-THATS A REAL RIOT! They scramble around looking for the key so that they can unlock their gun so they can go hunt. I told them they should just leave the lkey in the lock.

-Jimmy the cheese man

HAVING the locks is mandatory in MA. . .a trigger lock by law must accompany every gun sold in the state through a dealer. . .but using them is not.

There are gun storage laws, but a trigger lock is just one of many ways to legally store a gun. (By law, they do have to be locked/stored somehow so that "unauthorized" people can't use them).

Even more silly, many new guns have *built in* key locks that render the gun inoperable (all Smith wheelguns and Ruger autos, for example). So why do you need a separate external keylock AS WELL? This tacks on a useless extra $10-15 to the cost of every gun sold in MA for the locks (which mostly get thrown in drawers).

Personally, I dislike trigger locks. They can mar the finish of the gun, they aren't always easy to take on or off, and they require separate, loseable keys. . .one PER lock. . .not good if you have multiple guns!

Good points of trigger locks? Well, they discourage theft (albeit only slightly), and they do make it harder for a stolen gun to get used. They are an OK way of storing a gun safely if you don't have any other way to do it.

In terms of solution. . .they don't fix anything. If you are responsible enough to store you gun safely you are probably responsible enough to do it regardless of whether or not you have a trigger lock. Irresponsible idiots are still going to leave loaded guns around. Trigger locks can't prevent that.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was at my Gun dealer just a few days back. He gives away gun locks. Said he got them from PD depts. He also said BATF requires a dealer to have gun locks in their stores.These were cable like devices that would lock up more than guns !![:D]
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a trigger lock on all my guns and 100% agree with strict gun conrtol at all times!

I always lock my right index finger on the trigger and exercising strict gun control firmly pull the trigger and hitting my target very time.[;)]

Hey, how about education legislation about firearms. And how about making it a crime for public school teachers to instruct or tell our children that guns are for "shooting & killing" people.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Want to know what happens to the trigger lock that is provided with the firearm when I buy one? It hits the NEAREST garbage can. I take it out of the box while I'm picking up the gun, put it in my pocket, secure the gun in my trunk and scan the area for a garbage can. I don't have kids. I live alone. 3 locked doors need to be penetrated to get into my oak gun display cabinet. Would I be ticked if one was stolen? Yes. Would I feel guilty if one of my guns was used in a crime? Call me heartless....but....NO. I'd feel sorry for the victim but I would punish the perp by any means within my personal power. Honestly though, I don't know how I'd react. I wouldn't feel bad or sorry or like crying. I know that. I'd be TICKED.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunpac, My wife is a Teacher and gun safety should not be taught at school. Too many other subjects to teach. Gun safety is the PARENTS responsiblity as is the rest of society actions that come from home. Parents expect the Teacher's in todays society to do everything.. Not so...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    select-fire--You're right IMHO. I don't want the government teaching kids about religion or guns. I don't need Mother Hen Gov't trying to indoctrinate.
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dealers here in Kommiefornia have to sell one with every hand gun unless the buyer signs an affadavit that they own an approved gun safe. The buyer is supposed to demonstrate the use of the lock before leaving the shop with the gun. It's really stupid! I always have them sell me the cheapest one they have. I have kept every one I've gotten, simply because since I paid for them, I don't want to just throw them away. Maybe I'll find a use for them some time but so far they're all just sitting in box in the closet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Unrelated question but since I just saw it again in idsman75's last post, probably a stupid question, but what does "IMHO" mean?
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In My Humble Opinion
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by .280 freak
    In My Humble Opinion

Almost so obvious that it could have jumped out and bit me... Isn't that always the way... Thanks .280 freak!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Use them as fishing sinkers.