In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ooops, wrong caliber!!!!!

Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Well today at the range I got to unload a fired 40 S&w from a springfield 1911. Now having said that you all know the rest. A guys boy was loading the mags and not being watched, and loaded it up and fired then the gun jammed the spent shell in the chamber with 3 splits in the case wall(which I saved). Well the good thing is no one got hurt!This just is to say let the youngens shot but man o man you got to keep an eye on what they are doing.Rich
"The Constitution of most of our states(and the United States)asserts that all power is inherent in the people;that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."--Thomas Jefferson--

Comments

• Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the laws of order are razor-thin, aren't they? I have saved an example of every f--kup I have ever done while reloading and shooting wherever possible, just to remind myself to double, triple, and quadruple-check everything before I pull the trigger. Still, if the margin of error wasn't that sharp, I probably wouldn't enjoy this hobby as much as I do.
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    SNIPER1048SNIPER1048 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THE SCARY THING I FOUND WAS THAT A 44 MAG WILL FIT INTO CYLINDER OF A 45 LONG COLT REV.I NOW MAKE SURE WHEN I GO TO THE RANGE WITH MY TOYS ONE OF THEM STAYS HOME!
    "START THE BALL ROLLING THERE, TECTOR"
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I taught Hunter Safety, this was one of the first principles we taught after making sure everyone knew which end was which & where each should be pointed. When we taught action types, we would use dummy rounds - either commercial or ones I'd made up at home and as a matter of course, I'd mix in one or two that would fit but wrong caliber. You would be amazed at the number of Dads who were caught w/ their pants at their ankles when they went through the exercise. It was a good object lesson for both the neophyte and the expert(?). This was followed by a display of separated heads, burst barrels & the like. So they could see how easy it was to screw up and just how deadly serious such an error would be.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just plain scary, thanx for the heads up on the 44mag/45colt as neighbor loves the colt and I shoot alot of 44mag's and we shoot here at the house at least every couple of weeks scary scary scary....
  • Options
    in2b8uin2b8u Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Icon...... Thanks for that!!! I would have never thought of doing that. I am starting my kids out this year w/some gun safety and handeling, but that post is going to be one of my next projects with them. I was looking for a way to teach them proper caliber action etc.Thanks again.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of the time that my girlfriend of years ago went out shooting with her ex-boyfriend. He handed her his Glock 17 with some handloads. Apparently on was missing the powder and the force exerted by the primer pushed the bullet into the barrel where it lodged. The next shot could have been bad news but it merely bulged the barrel.