In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BSA red dot

Mark IIMark II Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Are the BSA red dot sights any good? I want to put a red dot on my AK, which doesn't need extreme accuracy, and was wondering if the BSA is a decent product.
"To meet with ill fortune is to meet with good fortune. To meet with submission is to meet an enemy."

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 40mm BSA on my Bushmaster M17S (Bullpup) and it will ring a 12" gong at 300 yards all day. I also have the 30mm that I shoot on my 9mm SW5 (HK-94 clone) and HK USC .45 Carbine, like its big brother, rings the gong all day out to 100 feet (not yards)I'm thinking I need another so I dont have to switch the 30mm back and forth. I understand Midway is giving one away with the 6-32X44 Platinum scopes, which I could use another one of those too, but don't know if it would stand up to the 8mm Yugo Mauser I want to put it on.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How would you rate them to the Tasco or Simmons red dot sights? I am seeing all three of these companies in my searches for a good price, and would like to know which is the better value.
    "To meet with ill fortune is to meet with good fortune. To meet with submission is to meet an enemy."
  • Options
    PARAshooterPARAshooter Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a BSA on my 10/22, love it, works great.I also have a Simmons on my Buckmark,works so-so going to send it to them for repair. The problem is when I turn the brightness dial it doesn't click or have noticeable detents for the settings. Some times the dot also fades and gets bright on the same setting.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark III've only had a ealy Tasco Pro-point, wasn't impressed at all ... but that was many years ago when they were just comming out, (it was like a 26mm or something, 6" tube made it hard to use) ... made me feel like I wasted $180, so I shyed away from them until I saw the BSA for $30-$40 I figured I'd give it another try as I did like the concept. The thing I liked was the shorter tube and bigger glass makes it much easier to get on target fast.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ended up getting the Tasco red dot. Wally world had them on sale for $29, which is about the same price I saw online, but without the shipping. It looks good mounted, but I have yet to fire it or get it sighted in. Lets hope it works. Oh well, if it doesn't, it was only $29. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $29! Wow! They go for around $89 at the local sporting goods stores. One of the managers there shoots competitively and he swears by the Tasco Pro-Point. I'm debating on what to throw on my S&W 686.