In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A death threat

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Last night posed a very interesting dilemma...to carry or not to carry. I was working late (as usual)and alone and was sitting behind my desk at about 9:30 PM talking to my father on the phone when a "customer" walked in angry with me over a matter that was beyond my control. He was an off-duty "police officer". I put that in quotes due to the fact that anyone of Native American origin can get a job as a "Reservation Police Officer". Most of them have criminal records. I got out of my chair and he proceeded to step up to me breathing death threats if I "screwed up one more time". The dilemma with which I am faced stems from the fact that, even if I had a carry permit (darn near impossible to get here), it would be illegal to carry in the building where I work and the uniform I wear makes it impossible even with an ankle holster or "Thunderwear". My desk and desk area are subject to unannounced search at any time. Needless to say, I am still here today. I used my mouth instead of my fists and "talked him into a good mood" and sent him away smiling and laughing and offering me a Budweiser which is still sitting in my fridge.

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Chinese proverb says "One can catch more flies with honey than with a flyswatter" You did well Idsman.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are the kind of man i admire. Why? Because i can't do that. I would have kicked the sh-- out of him.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think you answered your own question . . . you can't carry given the restrictions of your circumstances. But, even if you had been carrying, would you have drawn on this individual? I rather suspect not. You used your wits to defuse a tense situation in which your physical conditioning and training have provided you with the tools you *could* have elected to use to incapacitate - or worse - this aggressive individual. If he posed such a threat that a firearm were indicated, I'm sure he would have been carried out of there with his beer bottle lodged in his tonsils.
  • Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like you used the most powerful weapon available.. YOUR BRAIN. You obviously had the superior "weapon" in a larger calibre.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job. While a gun would have made you feel more comfortable, you would not have been able to use it in the situation you describe. You would have had to be in mortal danger for you to use it, and you were not. Had you been in mortal danger and used deadly force, the aftermath might make you wish you had been the one who was killed. That is a sad fact of life in these times.One suggestion. Lock the door after hours.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I understand that I would not have been justified in using a firearm in such a situation. There was a time or two in the past where situations arose in a state where I was armed and did have a permit but would not have been justified in spite of the questionable safety of the situation. I did not draw and am thankful for the use-of-force training that I have received. I think it has given me a certain level of maturity and understanding that I did not have since guns were "evil" when I was growing up in the liberal state of Minnesota. However, my opinion on how liberal states develop ignorant and immature attitudes towards firearms is a completely different thread. There is, however, an extra degree of confidence in knowing that such a situation could be diffused with a firearm if it ever got to the point of getting out of hand. That feeling of security is priceless but some politicians would rather that you be the victim as opposed to the survivor. With regards to keeping the door locked, my hands are tied on that issue and that is another story in and of itself. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,023 ******
    edited November -1
    How about pepper spray? Can you stick a canister of the good stuff in your pocket? Most folks become real inoffensive when well seasoned.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Egotistical Rogue, Evil, Dangerous Racist Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Due to the uniform, even 2 keys on a key-ring bulge in my pocket and present an unprofessional appearance. I'll have research that. I recall using pepper spray the first night I took it on patrol. It dropped them suckers in about 2 seconds flat. Speaking of pepper spray...I was in a high school this week. I was walking down the hall choking and burning. It wasn't allergies. It felt like a chemical reaction. Soon every student and faculty member that walked into the hallway was choking. People were spreading rumors about chemical attack. The school was evacuated and it turns out that some kid had sprayed pepper spray all up and down the hallway. By the time we were let back into the school, the sheriff's were having a word or two with the young man.
  • Options
    arthur wellingarthur welling Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work in auto repair.For many years I ran a shop near a small city and had a sometimes 'interesting' clientelle. (ever repair a car that had LITTERALLY been SHOT to death?).I had the LOCAL police on speed dial. Not the 911 folks, but the actual radio room of the local police who would be designated to respond. Several of the officers were my customers as well.My backup force responce plan was simple.When situations threatened to get out of control I picked up the phone and pushed that one button, then laid the phone down off the hook. My name and address showed up on their monitor and they could get no response but COULD hear the other parties loud voice. Response time was usually real quick, the bad guys did not know I had called, and I was left hands free to talk and work with them as I had to.I do carry or am in reach of weapons most of the time, but have managed for many years to not need it yet. I still carry.... because one time I might fail and need it.
  • Options
    Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out buying your own trousers.A buddy of mine carried a mini glock in a pocket holster 9mm.He was required to wear a tie all the trime along with nice slacks ,nice shirt...........Youi could not tell,Try an inside the pants holster also a bellyband
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All of the trousers I wear are the Army-issue type since that's what I have to wear. Different companies make 'em but they're all made to the same specs...very form fitting. I wouldn't do it though. It's illegal in my office.