In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

'Negroes With Guns'

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
'Negroes With Guns' Dr. Michael S. Brown Dec. 28, 2001 The year was 1957. Monroe, N.C., was a rigidly segregated town where all levels of white society and government were dedicated to preserving the racial status quo. Blacks who dared to speak out were subject to brutal, sadistic violence. It was common practice for convoys of Ku Klux Klan members to drive through black neighborhoods shooting in all directions. A black physician who owned a nice brick house on a main road was a frequent target of racist anger. In the summer of 1957, a Klan motorcade sent to attack the house was met by a disciplined volley of rifle fire from a group of black veterans and NRA members led by civil rights activist Robert F. Williams.Using military-surplus rifles from behind sandbag fortifications, the small band of freedom fighters drove off the larger force of Klansmen with no casualties reported on either side.Williams, a former Marine who volunteered to lead the Monroe chapter of the NAACP and founded a 60-member NRA-chartered rifle club, described the battle in his 1962 book, "Negroes With Guns," which was reprinted in 1998 by Wayne State University Press.According to Williams, the Monroe group owed its survival in the face of vicious violence to the fact that they were armed. In several cases, police officials who normally ignored or encouraged Klan violence took steps to prevent whites from attacking armed blacks. In other cases, fanatical racists suddenly turned into cowards when they realized their intended victims were armed. Oddly, it appears that the organized armed blacks of Monroe never shot any of their tormentors. The simple existence of guns in the hands of men who were willing to use them prevented greater violence. It is important to note that the guns were not used offensively. They were part of an overall strategy that relied primarily on peaceful protest like picketing or entering whites-only establishments. Williams demonstrated that the dignified and responsible use of firearms for self-defense was an important method to achieve justice for those denied fair treatment by all institutions of government.The civil rights movement was deeply divided between those who espoused a pacifist, non-violent approach and those who believed that human beings had a right and a duty to use force in self-defense. Williams was the most influential leader of the self-defense wing of the movement. His effort to provide guns and training to African-American civil rights supporters was alarming to white politicians. Most state gun control laws, not just in the South, were blatantly designed to keep guns out of the hands of blacks and other minorities. Those with racist beliefs were not pleased when blacks claimed the right to keep and bear arms that is guaranteed to all Americans.The connection with the NRA might surprise some people who portray the organization as a haven for racist rednecks. Former NRA Executive Director Tanya Metaksa spoke with Williams before his death. She recalls, "He was very proud of being an NRA member and that the NRA sanctioned his club without question." The civil rights organizations of today bear little resemblance to the deadly serious armed activists of Monroe. African-American leaders generally support the liberal white line that guns are evil and have no place in modern society.On the other hand, small numbers of responsible black gun owners continue to honor their heritage by practicing their marksmanship and joining gun rights organizations. The tradition of the black gun club still lives on in the Tenth Cavalry Gun club, led by Ken Blanchard in Prince Georges County, Md.While researching this column, I contacted Don Kates, a civil rights attorney who went to North Carolina in 1963 to participate in the movement. I asked if he ever carried a gun during those days and he responded with a list of a half-dozen that were always within reach. Kates also suggested that I read a letter written by an old friend of his from those days, John R. Salter Jr., who is now Professor Emeritus at the University of North Dakota. Here are two brief quotes: In the early 1960s, I taught at Tougaloo College, a black school in Jackson, Mississippi. I was a member of the statewide board of the NAACP and was Chairman of the Jackson Movement. No one knows what kind of massive racist retaliation would have been directed at grass-roots black people had the black community not had a healthy measure of firearms within it.During most of the 1960s I did civil rights work in various parts of the South and almost always had with me a .38 special Smith and Wesson 2-inch-barrel revolver - what you would now erroneously call a "Saturday Night Special." In 1962 the Monroe freedom fighters were overwhelmed by a huge mob that converged on the town. The Justice Department and the state police ignored calls for help. The rabid racists were aided by law enforcement that branded Williams a communist and a dangerous schizophrenic.Rob Williams eluded an FBI manhunt and fled to Cuba, which he erroneously believed to be free of racism. Within five years he realized that Cuba was not as he had imagined and moved on to China. There he was treated as a celebrity and returned to the United States in 1969 with the quiet blessing of Richard Nixon. Williams worked as a China scholar at the University of Michigan and reportedly advised Henry Kissinger on Chinese affairs. He died in 1996.Dr. Michael S. Brown is an optometrist and member of Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws, www.dsgl.org. He may be reached at rkba2000@yahoo.com http://www.newsmax.com/commentarchive.shtml?a=2001/12/28/143934

Comments

• Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now if only we could get liberals to read this...though of course they want to see blacks come, hat in hand and helpless, begging them (the government) for protection.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, .250, but I am a card carrying liberal. I was in Selma in 1963 with Dr. King and I applaud this one.[This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 12-29-2001).]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    I am a card-carrying ultra-conservative, but no racist by any means.The liberals of the 50s and 60s did a lot for human rights, but now they seem to be intersted in maintaining control of a permanent underclass of their own creation.I love it when people of any color take charge of their own destiny and stand up against oppression. I will stand with them, literally or in spirit, any day.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Nunn- Do not qualify your "I am a card carrying conservative" comment with a "but I am not a rascist" comment.The leftists are the only ones who equate conservatism with rascism.I rmember a few months ago Bobby Valentine, the manager of the NY METS, being quoted as saying "I vote Republican, but I do not tolerate rascism". What the heck does that mean BOBBY? That you are one of those rare republicans who is not a rascist?I dont know if I am liberal or conservative- I think I am somewhat both. I am a "classic" liberal, in the sense that I believe in Blackstones concept that the rights of the individual are more important than society. But the modern day liberal does not in any way resemble the "liberal" of days gone buy. Modern "Liberals" are nothing but communist.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I am an old fashioned liberal then. I am a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, a gun totein' social liberal.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got it right David! The rest of you look at the minority organizations, especially the black ones and see if they are standing up for the rights of their group. I don't know of one that advocates freedom and equality for their members as preached by MLK. Most of them want to hold their hand out and force undeserved racial quotas on us.I live in what has been called the most integrated city in the USA. I have black, oriental and hispanic neighbors. They are all nice people. Many of them maintain their property better than their white neighbors.Rant finished
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is interesting to note that in riots usualy the property destroyed is Black owned and the ones destroying it are black rioters. I notice this phenomena to occur in hightly populated hi unemployment areas...good to make a good sociological investigation out of it...as to the mechanics of WHY?
    Ignis Natura Renovatur Integram
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah unk sam-give me a couple million and i will study it til hell freezeth over!
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure hell will freeze first ...you have to ask for a grant to a preliminary study then the preliminary study will have to demostrate the need for a more deeper study and after 100 years they will come to the conclusion they did it because they wanted too ..... Cost to the taxpayer $10M $$$$$$$
    Ignis Natura Renovatur Integram
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I'm a card-carrying Ultra Conservative like nunn, and I'm also intelligent and caring.Does that sum up my racial feelings? It should.I think it is funny that this guy wanted to go to Cuba to escape racism in the US, and then found out it was even worse over there.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I belive that giving tax breaks to businesses are better than expanding the welfare system in a time when the economy is slowing down (i.e. recession). I think that it is more compassionate to provide a means for businesses to expand and create more jobs than it is to allow someone to get an extra $50 a month while walking down the dead-end road of a welfare check.Here's an interesting thought. If the illegitimacy rate of the black and hispanic populations continue as they are, caucasians will be a minority group in about 25 years. Will the NAACP and the ACLU disappear? Will there be a group called the NAAWP?