In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help choosing a pistol

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I am looking for a carry piece. I am 6'3" and can hid a full-sized auto very well. I am thinking along the lines of a pistol that ranges in size from a Sig P-228 to a Browning Hi-Power. Please list your top 5 choices for each of the following pistol categories:1) Single Action Only2) Double/Single Action3) Double Action OnlyMuchas Gracias!

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Single-Action:Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Para-Ordnance, Charles DalySA/DA:SIG, SIG, SIG, SIG, SIGDA only:None.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DA/SA -- SIG 228. Carried one for 18 months and LOVED it. However, I had to add a Pachmayr slip-on grip so that it would fill my hands just right.SA -- Kimber, Para-OrdnanceDAO -- I've never fired one or carried one because they've never appealed to me. HOwever, if Para-Ordnance's LDA is as good as their Limited SA 1911's then I'd go with that.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Own a piece of history, and still the finest defensive handgun ever made....an M1911 in .45ACP.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd check out the Glock, any Glock. Why not have a 5.5 pound trigger pull every time, out of the box? (Or 8 pounds if you request the New York trigger, 3 pounds for a match trigger, etc.) Also weight is relatively light for each caliber and comfort DOES matter over the long haul, even for us bigger guys. With quality factory ammo, reliability is top notch -- clean, dirty, cold, hot, or wet. I have learned not to mess with the range's reloads for these -- better off shooting any factory load for practice, and a good premium load for carry.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Anything by SIG will do for the DA choice. Glock=Overrated junk. I have never seen a SIG hang up in firing, or blow up with factory ammo. I have seen Glocks do both.For the SA, I would suggest a '70 Series or earlier Colt.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    DiabloDiablo Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my HK USP Compact 45 w/ Nite sites.Its a variation 1, which means: SA/DA/Decocker. You can chamber a round with the safety and eject the round with the safety on.You can chamber a round and leave it in a classic 1911 "cocked and locked" state. So you can flip your safety off and have a SA pull the entire clip. OR You can chamber a round, decock, and have your ultra safe DA pull for your first shot.It has a chamber loaded indicator and a great mag release.I like the HK....lots of features...no problems.I can't comment on the SIGs, but the have a good rep! I do plan on getting a SIG.Check out the HK and the SIG
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a big handgun nut and I would like some advise on buying one for myself. I would like a DA only auto in .40sw with a small frame like my LLama Minimax. I'm not a big person so I cant hide full size guns on me. I do not want a glock and the gun has to be safe to carry with one in the chamber. My minimax has to be carried cocked and locked to do this and I don't like it. I want DA only for reasons explained to me by a leo that makes sense about legal issues.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Danged SIG put a friend of mine in the hospital for a week! I like 'em as much as Glocks, but Thomas Gunn hates 'em. I reckon it was a fluke about the Sig, but I doubt the Glock is an overated piece of junk. That from a SIG owner.
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All you have to do to jam a Glock is shoot factory reloads wherein the casings have become slightly fatter or mis-shapen during reloading. Glock's tight tolerances can cause an imperfect reload to fail to fully chamber, and hence prevent the slide from going fully into battery. This is not the gun's fault. The second thing Glocks don't like is lead bullets, because of the unusual hexagonal rifling. I know too many Glock owners who expect to shoot reloads with lead bullets. They often say that Glock barrels "accumulate lead" -- and sometimes they will switch to an aftermarket rifled barrel so they can keep shooting cheap unjacketed ammo. It is therefore not impossible for a Glock, or any gun, to "blow up" either from 1) excessive lead fouling due to the insistence on using lead bullets, 2) reloaded casings which are just a little fatter than they used to be, or 3) from the installation of aftermarket parts in an attempt to circumvent Glock design features. None of these conditions would be the gun's fault. If you shoot lead in your Glock, and find the fouling tough to clean, don't try to shoot anything else through it, factory or otherwise, until the problem is fully solved. Even factory loads can malfunction in a fouled gun. Once your barrel is clean as it was when Glock delivered it, I suggest you stop trying to shoot naked lead down that barrel. Guns with slides not locked into battery, and guns that have clogged barrels, or replacement barrels, can malfunction. I would investigate the possibility of operator error if this happened more than rarely. I'm not saying Glocks never fail. I'm just saying that the way to treat any gun is not to force it to do things its design doesn't like.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Life's too short. Buy a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum or, my personal choice, .50 Action Express. Or perhaps a Taurus Raging Bull? Gotta love that .454 Casull! [This message has been edited by Bullzeye (edited 12-28-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bullz--Then buy a Thunderwear concealed holster for 'em and watch the women's jaws drop as you swing on down the street.... ;-D
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Sorry- We have nothing chambered in 155mm.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like my full sise ruger in 40sw. shoots almost anything right out of the box. have never had a failure in over 500 rounds of vrs. ammo.10+1 decocked. double first shot and single after. little on heavy side but depedability worth it to me. carl
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update to my initial response to this thread...The Para-Ordnance LDA trigger pull is sweeeeeeeeeet!