In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloads for CCW arm????

bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Several days ago, there were some posts about NOT using handloads in a CCW weapon. No reasons were offerred. Have been gone for several days and perhaps missed comments on this one.

If there was further commentary on the subject, I would appreciate being pointed at it or hearing from those who offerred the warning. I'm sure that I am not the only one who could be interested. Have several loads that would probably work quite nicely but.....what's the scoop on the subject?

We almost had a CCW law here in Wisconsin except: The state senate overrode the Democratic governor's veto. The assembly vote lost by 1 due to a Democratic assemblyman WHO WAS ONE OF THE ORIGINAL SPONSORS OF THE BILL who said 'He could not imagine overriding a governor's veto' and 'He was tired of being voted down by the Republican majority' so he fixed them. Our governor believes the state would turn into Dodge City and the OK corral combined if that law passed. It was a week later that a young lady was taken by force in southern Wisconsin, had the hell beat out of her by an ex who was under a rstraining order, and was stuffed into a trashcan in a locked storage locker in Illinois in very cold weather. Fortunately, some very sharp LEO's figured out what one of the dude's keys was for and they found her still alive. The following week, a young lady and her family were invaded and manhandled by an ex who also had an order against him who poured gas on her dad and threatened to light him up. Can't harm these dudes, might hurt their self esteem and make them mad, right??

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Comments

• 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you get to court to defend yourself for defending yourself the prosicutor will rip you a new one for useing cruel reloads meant to cause pain and suffering,and the jury will bellive him.
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The main reason for using only factory loads in CCW guns is legal liability. A district attorney will have a field day with you in court and doesn't need you to add fuel to the fire by loading you own special "Man-killer" rounds. The same logic applies to any of the other special factory loads.

(Perry Mason's voice)
    "You see ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Mr. Bazooka here carries a pistol everywhere he goes. Not only does he carry it everywhere, he loads it with _______(insert exterminator, obliterator, shredder or any other non-human friendly sounding name) bullets. Obviously he has been waiting for any excuse to blow some one away!"

Best advice I have heard is to find out what your local LEO's carry and use the same. If its OK for the police to shoot a scumbag with, its good enough for you to shoot at them too.

James
    royalthaiarmy.gifrtaflag.jpg
    Do your troops train with live cobras? ROYAL THAI ARMY DOES!
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's true that when you reload someone may question how much powder you used, what kind of bullet you selected, and whether you made 'em extra mean, that sort of thing. They can make you liable for the load. Keep in mind most people are ignorant about guns and will believe a lot of superstitious nonsense about handloads sometimes.

I prefer to take the advice of many experts and use factory premium ammo for carry. Besides, I don't reload and I don't trust other people's reloads as well as I trust my favorite factories like Cor-Bon. I also practice with premium HPs part of the time, and use a cheap plain brand of FMJ for the rest. If I ever do have a problem, the factory loads will be less debatable. Anyway, you asked and that's the usual thinking on it.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • BerettafanBerettafan Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The truth of legal liability has been mentioned, but the facts are that if you handload correctly and test your rounds, they can be more accurate than factory loads. One could combat a sleazball's, uh, I mean lawyer's accustations of criminal intent in the following manner;

Mr. _______, is it not true that you chose to use _______ bullets, and _________amount of powder to be as destructive as possible? Is it not true that you specifically made the bullets to obliterate someone if you shot them?

Answer- I specifically loaded the rounds that I had and chose to carry them in my firearm due to my extensive testing that showed that my rounds were 1) more accurate than factory rounds, thus decreasing the possibility of stray rounds, and 2) because due to my testing, they are more effective and are more likely to stop the threat with fewer bullets, again decreasing the chance of many shots fired. Overall, I chose to load my own ammo in the combination that I used because it is more efficient, it decreases the chances of hitting bystanders, and it would assist me in ending an imminent threat more quickly if the need arrises. My intent was not malicious.

Something to that extent/similar to would be effective in combating those types of legal attacks.

All it takes for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration; the streets are safer, the police are more effective, and the rest of the world will follow us into history--Hitler 1937
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahh...the subject for ammo selection for defensive purposes...

A prosecutor has never been successful in convicting someone on the basis of ammo selection provided that the ammo in question was legal to purchase on the open market or was made of legally-obtained components. I suppose you could get in trouble if you filled a hollow-point bullet with mercury and sealed it with candle wax like in the movie "Taxi Driver" or if you ordered some of that "exotic" stuff (i.e. "Devastator" rounds) that you seen on www.deltaforce.com

However, there isn't a single case where this point has been successfully argued by a prosecutor. Why? There are a few different reasons.

1) You can only load a cartrige to a certain point. We have SAAMI specs for a reason. You can't load a "superman-killer" without jeapardizing your own life or limb.

2) A hollow-point is a hollow-point. There is no way that the prosecution is going to be able to prove that the dead man would be alive if you had shot him with, say, a Speer Gold Dot as opposed to a Remington Golden Saber.

3) Either way, you pointed a gun at him and pulled the trigger. Either you were justified in doing so or you were not. It doesn't matter if you were using a .22LR or a .454 Cassull. A cherry defense attorney could successfuly argue a positive defense for either.

I'm going to make my final point using home defense as an example as opposed to the CCW in question just for the sake of being thorough with the subject of ammo selection.

4) We forget that a 12-guage shotgun is an incredibly common tool for home defense. It is my home defense tool of choice. I have a Winchester 1300 loaded with the same loads I use for pheasant hunting. "Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury. I am a hunter. I don't go out and practice the killing of human beings. Therefore, my load selection is usually limited to what I have around the house which is commonly what I use for hunting pheasants." Trust me. My 12-gauge light game loads (at room distances) are far more devastating than any kind of handload that you could come up with provided that they are within SAAMI specs.

The difference in accuracy between an appropriate factory load (guns will prefer certain loads over others) and a handload is negligible at typical self-defense distances--especially when you take into consideration the mental and physical reactions your body is experiencing during that kind of situation. You are going to be "pointing"--not "aiming" and selecting the specific point where you want to place your round.

My back-up home defense selection is a Ruger P-90 which, I believe, is currently loaded with Winchester .45 ACP Black Talon DP's or Remington Golden Sabers. I can't remember which ammo I loaded up the last time I swapped out magazines.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I'm in agreement with Idsman & SP on on this issue. Since my handloads are developed for hunting and are generally not over max I don't see the likelyhood of it ever becoming an issue. Actually it is more likely to be an issue in a civil suite brought by the deceaseds family but even then they would have to prove or at least demonstrait
    that a factory round would not have had the same effect and even then justification would be more the issue.
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thanks to all of you who commented on my post. Your answers appear to be well thought out and written. I appreciate it and I hope others also gained some insight into the question.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its just bad mojo.

"A gun is as good or bad as the man using it"
    -Shane-
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:If I lived in a less gun-friendly environment I would likely eschew (I like that word) hand loads.

If you weren't married I'd introduce you to an ex of mine who gets all "googly" over a guy who uses vocabulary like that.