In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

"The Passion of the Christ"

capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Who plans on seeing this movie when it is released this week? My wife and I are looking forward to seeing it this weekend.
John

My Prayer: Dear Lord, Please let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.........

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont think I am going this week, but will definately check it out while it is in the theatre.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our church bought all the seats in a small theatre near here for Thursday's show. They've already got all tickets spoken for. I guess alot of churches are doing the same thing. I hope it has a good impact on people.

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I bought advance tickets for a Saturday afternoon showing. We're trying to round up some friends to go with us.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
    edited November -1
    Its funny-I have never considered myself a big Mel Gibson fan, but the last movie I saw in the theatre was "Signs", and the last one before that was "the patriot".

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got tickets. Last night the Indianapolis TV news was giving mixed reviews on it. One woman came out of the theater and said it was too violent and hard to watch. Could they watch their son or daughter be tortured like that? It was a violent death and you and I should view ourselves going through that because that's what Christ did; he took our place.

One Jewish clergy said it made Jews look bad. Jews were in charge of what happened to Christ in the first century AD. It wasn't just the Jews who put Christ on the cross it was all of mankind, Jew and Gentile alike. Look what we Gentiles have done with Christ. We've kicked him out of our schools, continue to replace lies for the truth in his Word, and curse his name. We should be just as ashamed as our Jewish brothers for we now are in charge of what we will do with Christ. I think this movie makes that all clear.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I'm going Friday!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just hope something wises this Country up to what we're rapidly becoming!
    John

My Prayer: Dear Lord, Please let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.........
  • The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and her sister saw "Passion" last night. She came home rather late and all had to say was that the movie was very "Intense". What Jesus went through for us defies description. She was very "Humble". John

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going to see it next tuesday..

Gibson is awesome. Patriot, We Were Soldiers, and Signs were all awesome movies.. and this one looks promising.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo you need to get out more!!! You also need to pick some better flicks!!

Also not much of a Gibson fan, since Lethal Weapon, but will see this one. I don't expect much. The pope said, "it is as it was," and I am pretty sure he is old enough to have been there....[}:)]

He Dog
    edited November -1
    HeDog- I watch good flicks, notwithstanding the few Mel ones that I have seen. I just assume rent-I cant stand distractions when I am watching a film, and the theatre is full of them.
    There were actually reasons why I went to the theATRe to see those two films.
    I went to see "signs" in the theatre, because I live in Bucks County, and the movie supposedly takes place in Bucks County. I was curious to see how the Bucks county folks in the theatre would react to it.
    I saw "the patriot" in the theatre because I had a guest pass to a special screening.
    I am going to go see the passion in the theatre cause it seems to be something I would want to see on a big screen.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, some movies beg to be seen on the big screen, our Blockbuster bill also far out weighes our theater bill, but there are some good ones out there. See "Whale Rider".

He Dog
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For anyone, especially Christians, to think that the Jews weere responsibe for Christ's crucifixion is totally absurd. According to Christian beliefs, Christ came to be crucified for our sins. Some Jews, such as some of the high Jewish priests, Pontius Pilate, Judas, and other Romans were only a means for Christ. If people want to know who was responsible for the crucifixion of Christ, all they have to do is look in the mirror.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going.

I Hope I can read fast enough.

It's not in english you know?

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Finally a movie Catholics and Baptists can agree upon! Beach.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I plan on going to see it when we can find a time to go with some friends. I am concerned that it is only a 12 hour segment of the life of Christ. Yes, it is an important segment, but it does not tell the whole story. In fact it leaves out the most important part ... the resurrection! He rose again ... he's alive!

I read an interesting comment in the paper today written by Kenneth L. Woodward (author and contrubuting editor to "Newsweek"). "More than sixty years ago, H. Richard Neibuhr summarized the creed of American Christianity that has triumphantly come to pass: 'A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through the ministrations of a Christ without a cross.' Despite its muscular excess, Mr. Gibson's symbol-laden film is a welcome repudiation of all that."

I'm praying that God would somehow use it to wake people up to the extent that God loves us undiserving people.
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I have tickets for the show tonight.

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    I guess a lady had a heart attack and passed away while watching a morning screening. I'm sure I would too if I watched all the gore that is supposedly in this movie.

25PASS.2.184.jpg

Case in point.

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:For anyone, especially Christians, to think that the Jews weere responsibe for Christ's crucifixion is totally absurd. According to Christian beliefs, Christ came to be crucified for our sins. Some Jews, such as some of the high Jewish priests, Pontius Pilate, Judas, and other Romans were only a means for Christ. If people want to know who was responsible for the crucifixion of Christ, all they have to do is look in the mirror.

Blackie is right on the mark here. God designed his own fate on the cross. Not the Jews.
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just think Roboman...that "gore"...he endured all that for YOU. That is one of the problems. Christians (and I am one) have sanitized the Crucifixion. We have the advantage of living on this side of Easter and know how the story ends. So we skip right over Good Friday and get right to the Good News on Easter. Too bad. I love Easter, and am in awe of the fact that Jesus beat death and rose again for me, but I am in more awe of the fact that he endured a merciless death for me. I have seen the movie at a pre-release screening. All I can say is that it was very intense, and I am so glad I do know how the story ends.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roboman
    I guess a lady had a heart attack and passed away while watching a morning screening. I'm sure I would too if I watched all the gore that is supposedly in this movie.

Yeah and I remember a woman that had a heart attack and died watching Mary Poppins.[:D]

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I am definately going to go see it. While I don't agree with a lot of Mel Gibsons politics I like a lot of his movies. The Patriot and Braveheart are two of my all time favorites. I think everyone should see this movie and think its laughable that in our society anyone has the gall to dwell on the GORE of this particular film. Maybe a little reallity as to what Christ endured to save mankind is too much for them. But, most of those same people wouldn't be offended by the sight of some flesh eating zombie ripping the guts out of a corpse.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I'll probably wait until it's out on dvd, we don't go to the movies to much.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    If truly, 'it is as it was' maybe it will give insight into what went on. For myself, I think I'll take hairy, and lowrider with me to see it......quote:Originally posted by roboman

25PASS.2.184.jpg

Case in point.

signew.JPG

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Have no intentions of seeing it now or later...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I'm sure I would too if I watched all the gore that is supposedly in this movie.

Roboman--

Hint: The "Sensitive and in-touch-with-his-feminine-side 80's man" image is out. Women don't dig the limp-wristed man-girl types anymore.
    edited November -1
    Roger Ebert, who identified himself as an agnostic (ie. he doesn't know if God exists), just gave The Passion of the Christ a four star rating, then he said DO NOT take the kids to see it.

He, also said do not go see it because of what a critic says ... see it for yourself!
  • kgnovumkgnovum Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100% going! Ought to be great...

Ken Gibbs
    www.bluewonder.us
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    quote:I'm sure I would too if I watched all the gore that is supposedly in this movie.

Roboman--

Hint: The "Sensitive and in-touch-with-his-feminine-side 80's man" image is out. Women don't dig the limp-wristed man-girl types anymore.

I can handle my share of blood and guts but after seeing that one image it made my stomach turn. I'll admit it, I don't care. Maybe women will like my honest side [;)].

signew.JPG

• Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    I do as well.

If any one has read the bible, the Jews did not crucify Jeasus, the High Priest, Caiaphus, did. The and the other Jewish leaders were afraid of losing power and convinced the romans to do their dirty work. Of course this was all within Gods plan.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Saw it tonight. It was great!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will see it with the wife and soon.

If one doubts for a minute that there is a broad and intense effort in this country and world to oppress Christianity, or religion in general, in favor of secularism, then they are simply ignoring the facts.

The environment of disparaging and divisive comments that are endless in their attacks on this movie are merely another extension of that.

It has been said by many who have seen this movie that they expect that viewing it alone will stir many to examine their own lives and accept Jesus into their hearts.

You can be assured that the secularists DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN! So you can see the reason for much of the controversy. THEY ARE SCARED OF THE POWER OF THE TRUTH that this movie reveals!

Thank you Mr. Gibson for your honest and realistic testimony.

Justice through Valor

"Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war" Psalm 144
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75

Roboman--

LOL! [:p][:D][:D][:o)][:D]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My family and me saw it Monday night. Great movie!! Everyone over 12 ought to see it. Thanks Mel.

Bruce
    edited November -1
    I cannot believe the number of people, especially the Jewidh rabbi's that are coming out against the movie. When they watch the film, they are saying that all that they see is that the Jews are responsible for Christ's crucifixon. According to the scriptures a number of jews wanted Pilot to put Jesus to death. But a lot of christ's followers were Jewish. I think some of these Jewish rabbis are "pushing the envelope" on this just to try to belittle Christianity somewhat. Maybe I'm wrong. At least I hope I'm wrong.

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
    edited November -1
    I went with a couple friends to see this movie last night and went over to their place to talk about it.

I must say that "The Passion of the Christ" is very graphic and very real except for a couple things that might be more rooted in Catholic tradition than in the Bible. But I can handle that.

I still say that the best part of the book was left out of the movie - the book does not end with the crucifixion and the empty tomb scene is really pretty weak. I wonder of Mr. Gibson goes more for gore than victory over death and hope and GRACE!

The movie does away with the notion of innocent, cleaned up, politically correct crucifixion, which is good ... but I wonder if it is just too much blood and guts - graphic depiction of a 12 hour portion of Jesus's life.

In spite of all the hype and stories about how moving the movie is, I did not see anybody crying ... I'm a pretty sensitive guy (at least I think so!), but I think I was more numbed by the whole thing than I was moved to tears. I shed more tears in church every week than I did at the movie!

True, it will make a lot of money. True, it will touch a lot of people and maybe the folks who are not otherwise hearing the most important message that God loves us and he loves us a lot!. True, it is not for kids. True, you should probably go see it and take some friends. But it is not the greatest movie ever made ... other movies/videos about Jesus will have more impact. I would suggest: 1.) the "Visual Bible" which is the whole book of Mathew word for word nothing added and nothing left out and 2.) the "Jesus" video.
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just saw the movie last night. Very graphic, probably close representation of what actually happened. Was a good reminder to me of the suffering and the sacrifice that my Lord did for me. Do not take young children, my guess is the older side of the teenage years. Will go again with BW and friends.

It must be right, or we wouldn't do it this way!
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Just saw it this afternnon with the wife. It was moving. I didn't think the devil and superstition/supernatural creatures were necessary. I do think it will be enlightening to many how much Christ intentionally faced, and his personal sacrifice.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw the movie last night. I didn't find it to be gory at all. Okay, a nail was driven through each of his hands and feet. He got a good beating before that happened. So what. I've seen much worse more recent movies.

I think people have a hard time with it because it touches their conscience. The beatings and the crucifiction are hard to deal with because most people going to the movie feel some degree of responsibility for that torture. It's hard to watch because it really happened and I bear some of that responsibility.

However, I've seen worse. Bodies hanging. Heck, I ate a Wendy's chili-cheeseburger after fingerprinting a corpse and observing someone filet it on a piece of butcher paper during an autopsy. I guess working on the kill-floor of a packing plant will desensitize you a bit.