In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading questions?

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
i just wanted to throw a rather general cuestion into the pool. for a while i have been interested in reloading, but with no place or knowledgable mentor. i've got the space now however i lack the most important part, the knowledge. there are so many products on the market that it can be a bit overwhelming. i've setteled on the rockchucker but how many of these accessories are truly neccessary. also with the wide aray of books available on the subject are there any you would recomend above others? thanks for your time-FERGproud member of the PVM
whatever you do, try to look unimportant, the enemy may be low on bullets

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ferg! Fellow member of the secret society of the PVM! Blah! I just passed through Owatanna on Saturday on my way back to Iowa from Minneapolis. I couldn't resist picking up a Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit. It's a single stage and it isn't what I would call the "perfect" press but it's something to start with. Now I just need the third member of our secret society to make a trip to Iowa and get me started with his knowledge and expertise. I'll read the books and get the videos before I start but I think it wise to learn from a pro first. Is there anything that you could use over there in Kosovo that you don't have handy? I called your home and got your address and am trying to work up a care package. I have a small collection of the items you previously mentioned which I purchased from the local establishments. Email me and let me know.idsman75@peoplepc.com"And then there's Jeremy....."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    blah!!!!!!!!what's up, for now this is my only means of commo over the web, the computer's are acting screwey and we can't access any addl. pages(can't e-mail). so for now i'll keep checking here and will give you a heads up when i get back upblah- f#@^%$!g ferg
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The speer book that came with your RCBS kit will tell you just about everything you need to know. Acc. You need the case trimmer, that is an important step, I usually mic and trim each case after sizing. The priming tool on the rock chucker can get chucked. By a lee hand priming tool. The lube pad can get chucked. Use a small plastic bowl and a can of ONE SHOT case lube. that dang lube pad picks up dust that will mar cases. You will need a good set of stainless steel dial calipers, If you got the plastic one from rcbs,,chuck it. You will need a good powder dribbler. The rcbs measure that you get with the kit works ok on RELOADER powder and ball powder but if you IMR set the measure low and dribble to desired weight. The funnel is a must.The scale is VVVEEERRRRYYYY important! The deburring tool is necassary after trimming cases. I cant remeber what all else comes in the kit. If I missed anything just ask. Reloading is my passion and I take extreme pride in my "homerolled". It generally takes me an hour to do a box of 20 because I take my time and measure everything. My loads are perfect and that is what you should shoot for if you are going to reload. anything less than perfection ,just buy factory ammo. Plus you need a lot of patience. And don't forget the kinetic bullet puller incase you make a boo boo.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7mm- thanks for the info. what is in the kit i'm not quite sure, my wife got me the press from cabela's for christmas but i haven't had a chance to play. once i get back from kosovo i want to jump right in, but i want to gain @ least a passing knowledge until thenalso is shotgun reloading pretty much the same animal, or is it something that should be tackled after i get the basics down with the first?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure about shotgun loading, I never done it. But rifle and handguns I love to do. When it comes to shotguns I always end up buying shells. I think you need a diff press for it, not sure though
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    shotgun shells are even easier to reload, much easier, a lot less time involved. In addition to the previous mentioned accs. I think you would like a tumbler, I'll never be without one again, I have 2. I have the Lee press also, its not top of the line, but I reload one at a time, meticulously, so its not important. I do like the lube pad though.You need a good scale, electric would be better, I have a beam scale, didnt like the Hornady scale I started with so got a Lyman and love it, goes up to 1000 grains, perfect.Start out right with your Lee, get the conversion for it so you can use the 4 hole die turrets, I havent yet, and probably wont, only cause I have so many 3 hole die turrets, I set my dies up and never take them out, I have a turret for every caliber, and a cabinet that they sit in, very convenient. I suggest that you get some shell/case trays to hold the cases for reloading, these are a must. Also need some boxes that are made to hold your reloaded rounds, they come in different sizes, 20, 50, 100, and different colors, I like smoke cause I can see whats in them. Lee makes nice stuff, theres better but I like Lee and get their case trimmer guides, and dies, whenever possible. I keep the case trimmer guide, shell holder, and press shell holder in a little box, all together, for each caliber. These boxes are available from Midway and in all kinds of sizes, mine are blue, get several to start with. You need labels to write on and put in your bullet boxes, once your have reloaded the complete round and filled the box, you want to know whats in the box, right? Hornady bullets have nice labels that come with them, I put all that type of info. in every box I reload.I have 6 reloading manuals, and need all of them, dont limit yourself to one, read everything you can. Pick up the powder manufacturers reloading data for free from your local gun shop and reloading supply house. I could go on and on. Email me with any questions and I will be happy to answer them, I've been reloading for ten years and reload for at least 15 different calibers, I will share my experience with anyone who needs it. Be safe, and never open more than one powder at a time on your reloading bench.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree with everything except the tumbler. I have ruined more brass with a tumbler than I ever lost in the woods. I sold mine for $25 and now use a cleaning agent to soak em in. brass lasts longer. P.S when did lee make a rock chucker??
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm atc. what do you soak that brass in to clean it?? I use my trumbler all the time and have never ruined any brass that i am aware of. my only problem is getting all of the medieum out of the cases. i only reload pistol ammo, but several different calibers. used to reload shotshells but shoot so little with the shotgun anymore that it doesent pay. carl
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know where I got Lee from out of his original post, its been a long long day. But it is what I use, it works.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a dial indicating caliper, a case trimmer, an impact bullet puller, a box of Lee shell holders, a Lee priming tool and look at the Lee collet crimping dies and their collet neck sizing dies. Since you're a newbie, a word of advice- Even though reloading involves repetitious, simple operations, you can't let your mind drift off and daydream because that's when mistakes are made.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    instrumentofwar--Just a word of wisdom between you and me. Be VERY discreet about your reloading. I won't go into detail here but there's something I need to let you know.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Idsman...given your MOS I suppose the red flag is the same one I was gonna mention.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Idsman...given your MOS I suppose the red flag is the same one I was gonna mention.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    iow: two suggestions - get a Lyman manual; it offers representative loads using bullets / powders / primers from virtually all makers, while Speer does Speer, etc. I have most of the manuals & it's the one I use 60+% of the time. Shotshell loading is a royal PITA unless you are going to stick to a single load in a single brand of hull. Each type of hull takes a different sort of wad column / shot protector. You end up w/ a gazillion bags of shot cups, etc. Unless you are shooting SS heavily or want to work up some special purpose loads not available in a particular gauge, IMHO, it just ain't worth the effort. I started loading SS before metallics eons ago, but now all I use the press for is a few special items & I sold all the plastic for deep discounts to get some space around my bench.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Matt45--Are you/were you a 95B? I did the V5 thing for a bit and now I'm detailed out to 79R-land for three years.
  • Options
    13fister13fister Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    blah,,,, it is I the 3rd member of the PVMshould have more time tommorowjust Al
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey boy...cold beer? Good to see you here again 13fister (just Al). I shared some thoughts on this subject with our esteemed instrumentofwar via email. I just picked up a Lee single-stage reloading press with some .270 dies over the Thanksgiving weekend at the Cabela's store in Owatanna, MN. Wish me luck on the E-6 board on Monday.And then there's Jeremy....A privately practicing parishoner of the PVM.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    did i hear somebody say something 'bout a cold beer?proud member of the PVM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Never mix a "col' beeah" with reloading. SGT(P) idsman75