In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ted Turner is an American Hero..........

Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
NOT!! I just want to get some reactions to the F$$$ing Judas saying in public that the men who attacked our country were brave heros. Although I didn't catch the whole speech I thought what better a forum to see some valued opinions on the subject.

Comments

• beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hans...you are a little late on this one. We already had this conversation on the forum. Call it up from the archives and check it out. Beach
  • Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well excuse for living!!, I just got on this about a week ago.
  • RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've going to weigh in on this one.We've all said some stupid things. Some of those things we've said to hurt, others were just plain stupid. Ted Turner stuck his foot in his mouth, but that is not enough for me to call him a traitor.The man has purchased millions of acres of wildlands in Montana and Wyoming with the sole purpose of reintroducing wilderness and wilderness creatures. I consider him a champion of the modern West, albeit one who probably should leave the commentary to himself.Alright, I've said it now bring on the flames...be prepared for some 155mm counterfire, though. Brian
  • Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redleg, Talk to anyone who lives near land he is buying. I live in South Dakota and he is buying up thousands and thousands of acres. He is putting up fences and no hunting is allowed. He is tying up a huge portion of the land for the sole purpose of crowding hunters into smaller and smaller areas.Ted Turner is very much against hunting. He even goes so far as not to let his hired help even pick up a shed antler on his land. This man is not welcome in any of the towns by the local business man, farmer, or hunter.He is messing with the economy and livelihood of to many citizens.He recently had the gall to contact the dept. of Game Pish & Parks and told them they had to use airplanes to kill off some of the coyotes on his land. The state told him the predaotr eradication program was for livestock farmers and that they are not going to do it for him.I have talked to people in Montana who live close to one of his HUGE land tracts and the towns public there feels the same way about him.Hopefully we can get our legislature to pass a law that says one person cannot own more than 30% of all the private land in SD.
    edited November -1
    Miss Creant,Ted Turner is a private citizen, and as with any other private citizen, he has the right to attempt to purchase land. Once that land is acquired, the land owner, be it Ted Turner or Snuffy Smith, has the preemptive right to allow or disallow whatever legal activites on his/her land.There are no "monopoly" laws on the books against land ownership. At least he's not putting up factories and such. Here is a man who is attempting to do some good with his vast pocketbooks and if it irks some folks, as it will, so be it.So what if he is against hunting or disturbing nature, be it sport hunting or picking up antlers. He is trying to return that land that he acquired to a pristine condition and I think that's alright. I doubt very much that his sole purpose of buying this land is to crowd hunters into smaller and smaller spaces.Brian
  • mbrookmbrook Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ted Turner owns some of the largest ranches in New Mexico as well. Some of those outrageously priced private land elk hunts are on his land. I came accross a couple when I was researching an elk hunt in NM. I guess he is not against hunting as long as the price is right.
  • Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is a flaming liberal who will prostitute himself for the almighty dollar. Belive that the people who are hunting there are paying for it politically and with cash (large amounts)I have no quallms with a person doing what they want on their own land but when what they are doing starts to affect so many other people then there is a problem. Just pray he does not come to your state Redleg and buy up 3 million acres.He is all about disturbing nature and the natural order. He is famous for introducing species into areas that they do not belong and for trying to eradicate species from their natural areas. [This message has been edited by Miss. Creant (edited 02-20-2002).]
    edited November -1
    He is a flaming liberal who will prostitute himself for the almighty dollar. Belive that the people who are hunting there are paying for it politically and with cash (large amounts)Flaming liberal or otherwise, I thought you said he was anti-hunting, even to the point where ranch-hands can't remove shed antlers.I recently looked around at guided elk hunts and rest assured, Ted Turner isn't the only American out there who is f***ing over people to hunt. There are land-owners out there who are prostituting themselves, as you say, to the almighty dollar to make a buck. Good for them...it's called capitalism.I have no quallms with a person doing what they want on their own land but when what they are doing starts to affect so many other people then there is a problem. Just pray he does not come to your state Redleg and buy up 3 million acres.How is buying land and regulating it closely for your own use and charging others to use it adversely affecting others? Take the entrepeneur who buys a chunk of forest, rips it down, puts up a wally world, and then charges you to see the mighty creatures that once roamed the forest that once stood there. I am an Army brat, so I have many states (physical and metaphysical, depending on my imbibement). I pray that somebody with the bucks would come in and buy 3 million acres in Washington, Idaho, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Missouri with the purpose of preserving some semblance of nature as it is.He is all about disturbing nature and the natural order. He is famous for introducing species into areas that they do not belong and for trying to eradicate species from their natural areas.I invite you to look at the so-called canned hunting locations. Why, even here in N. America, you can hunt for zebra, Cape Buffalo, Impalas, Red Stags, etc. etc. etc. Ted Turner is not doing thisI quote from Outside Magazine: But together they control 1.8 million acres of prime U.S. ranchland, where they're unloading a fortune to revive endangered species, revolutionize grazing, and (don't tell the neighbors) help wolves restake their claim on a wilder, toothier American range. I think the operative word here is "revive" or RE-introduce old species, not introduce new ones.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ted Turner is the largest private landowner in New Mexico. One of his ranches is for hunting and for a price you can stay in the lodge and hunt or fish there. The price is very high. Many can and do afford it. Another ranch he uses for pronghorn hunting. A third is for quail hunting and raising bison. He pays the salary of a Department of Game and Fish endangered species biologist. He participates in the Mexican wolf recovery program. He is a very good citizen here in New Mexico.
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alltheway: Are you on drugs or just stupid.For a armed group (maybe only knives??) totake over a plane with men, women and children shows me no guts. As far as killing yourself in crashing into unarmed civilians,only takes stupidity. As a WW 2 combat infantry veteran I have seen true heroicsmany times and self sacrafice. This was notone of them. Grow up or get out.
    edited November -1
    Maybe alltheway should move to one of Ted's ranches live in that same dream world he does.
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sept. 11 attack was an act of cowardice.The Twin Towers were not military targets, just the workplaces of defenseless civilians. I heard that only the terroristsin the cockpit knew the planes were going tocrash. The bad guys in the back must have really been surprised!
    edited November -1
    Knife!?!?, The Hell you say!, I'll take one of those a--holes on with the cocktail umbrella out of my gin & tonic!
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I wont give them the dignity of describing them as brave.If they were brave they should have attacked an Army base.They are cowards. And anyone that supports them is a coward and a traitor.And Ted Turner was married to Jane Fonda. Nuff said. Let the guilty hang.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh please, let's not get into the "re-introduction" of species issue. Re-introduction is just as bad as the extermination of a creature. Ecosystems evolve over time. Ecosystems adapt to the fact that a certain species has disappeared. Add it back into the equation and you are forcing another adaptation. It's just as bad as extermination.
    edited November -1
    idsman.....we have a few newbies that must have come here from HCT. I am so overawed by some of these cyber-ninjas they must really be tough....wow...and we get to actually chat with them. ROFLMAO!! Beach
    edited November -1
    all the way.....No I wasn't referring to you at all. In my opinion you seem to have expressed some articulate and cogent thoughts that were spot on. Beach
    edited November -1
    Idsman75...Oh please, let's not get into the "re-introduction" of species issue. Re-introduction is just as bad as the extermination of a creature. Ecosystems evolve over time. Ecosystems adapt to the fact that a certain species has disappeared. Add it back into the equation and you are forcing another adaptation. It's just as bad as extermination.Yes, let's get into this discussion about reintroduction of species that were exterminated by humans. Your argumentum ad consequentiam does little to address any of the issues at hand.You are right in the fact that ecosystems adapt, but as a student of biology and geology, I can assure you that it takes much more than one or two generations of any species' absence from an ecosystem, that when introduced, causes an upset. The passenger pigeon, for example, had developed an ecological niche in NA and, if it were possible to revive an extinct species, would fill that niche again. It's a process called homeostasis, where the balance of the ecosystem will be reached, no matter what species occupy the ecosystem(s).It's just as bad as extermination, eh? Let's see, exterminate Canis lupis (look it up), and Canis latrans populations explode to uncontrollable levels. Reintroduce the former, and it follows that the latter will decrease in population.Nah, until you make a viable argument, I don't think you'll convince to many conservationists or ecologists.Brian
    edited November -1
    Redleg--Obviously you are the expert in this area. I will decline the duel that you have proposed. On a professional note, have you ever studied the manner in which HUMANS adapt? If so, you will have certainly noted that us HUMANS adapt much more quickly. I do not propose that humans rampage and ravage the untamed wild in pursuit of conquest. However, would you see fit to prosecute a rancher for killing the member of a "re-intruduced" species that is protected in order to preserve his way of life? Where do you draw the line?
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    X-ring beach
    "If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • Tazman37Tazman37 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hans - I believe it took a hell of a lot of courage and tenacity to take those planes away from the crew,fly them quite a distanes and crash them into their targets.You've gotta be shi**ing me. WHY is there even a debate on this? Anyone who believes this should be at Gitmo bay with the rest of the cave dwellers.The only credit I can give is the fact that people like me are willing to fight and die for your right to say this crap. But that's exactly what it is --- CRAP.The people who did this WTC thing AND ANYONE WHO SAYS THEY WERE "COURAGEOUS" ETC ARE TRAITORS TO THE US AND SHOULD BE TREATED ACCORDINGLY. I already sent your post to the FBI you idiot.If you don't like the US --- MOVE. And Ted Turner? That's a laugh. He and Hanoi Jane would take all your guns and tell you when you could sh*t and when you couldn't if they had their way. Only thing jane is good for is a picture in the urinal to use for bullseye. I am appalled by some of these comments. I am no cyber-ninja and would be HAPPY to tell you these comments to your FACE anytime you wish to come to my area. All you gotta' do is swing first to make it legal pal. Have a nice day all you Taliban lovers.Taz
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOooohhhh, AAaaaahhhh, I'm wowed by the tough statements here. So many opinions, all coming together at once. Amazing how when you stir them all together they can sound so ridiculous. Sounds almost as if Dano has been at work here, or maybe Dano too. Now where is my trebel hook?
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I have to say it's a free country and Ted can do what he wants with his land. What I don't care for is his one world attitude. Giving a BUNCH (I think 1 billion) of money to the UN to help bring the worlds religions together. Just so we can have peace and harmony. And a lot of Christains are falling for it when we are plainly told to have nothing to do with false religons. Onw world religion, one world government.
    edited November -1
    Did the Gulf War make us complacent? Iraq didn't want to fight us. It is not because they were scared of us. They just weren't in the mood for a major conflict. They've waged bloody wars with Iran. I don't doubt that any of those countries could give us a good run for our money. I believe that we would do some serious butt-kicking but I don't believe for a moment that they are cowards. I do believe, however, that it is cowardly to attack non-combatants who have no chance of fighting back. Yes, the terrorists that carried out 9/11 gave their lives for a cause that they believed to be holy but they didn't have the intestinal fortitude to strike at a place and in a manner where they would have been equally matched.