In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2 or more handgun rule

smokey1smokey1 Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I recently completed the purchase of two handguns through gunbroker.com. Visiting with my FFL guy I was dumbfounded to learn of the multiple gun purchase rule.WHAT THE HELL???!!!What anti-freedom, gun-grabbin', POS, passed this turd of legislation?I have jumped through hoops multiple times now to pass the NICS background check.If I was your average, out-of-the-trunk, gun dealing criminal out there, I would simply buy one gun in a 24 hour period to avoid the scrutiny.If NICS says that I'm a "good guy" to purchase one handgun, than it follows that I'm a "good guy" eligible to purchase two guns, or five guns, or ten guns etc. etc...The criminal element in our society must kick back at night, snickerin' their collective * off, reflecting on the plight of the law abiding.That $200 for the FFL sounds pretty good right about now.RANT OFF

Comments

• robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your FFL is full of it. I buy handguns in what ever qty. from my dealer, and get multiple permits from the sherriff's office too, so what gives here?
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Captain 241Captain 241 Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just bought 2 hand guns awhile back. Had no problem. Sheriff department just gave me two permits. I don't know if is a state thing or not, but I think you should find a new FFL dealer.
    If you need a Second Shot, YOU NEED MORE PRACTICE
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might be a state law, or it might be an FFL who makes his own rules. If that is the case, find another FFL. I do not put up with any nonsense from a FFL or firearm retailer who feels the need to want a little extra security.A couple of years ago, I walked into a gun establishment that I regularly frequent, to buy black powder. Guy went into the backroom, and asked me for my drivers license."Why do you want my license?""I need it to sell you blackpowder""Says who"."Thats the law""Federal or state Law?""Im not sure""You are full of s@#$, and you can keep the powder, and kiss my business goodbye"
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Right on Salzo!!!! I can understand that FFL holders do have to cover their *, but they should do the research and know the exact letter of the law. They do not have the right to impose anything other than the MINIMUM requirements on us. Some will change the rules as they see fit and they should not be able to INFRINGE on my rights any more than the Goverment already has.....
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of Transfers, I live in Florida and bought my first gun on auction. I'm waiting for it to be delivered. The FFL that it is being shipped to says he has to charge me for a back ground check even though I have my license to carry. I told him that wasn't needed if I had a license to carry and was told that law changed. This was two days after looking up the Law on the Internet. He also thought the sender(who has an FFL)was supposed to send his FFL first.Thats $160.00 for the shotgun, $20.00 shipping fees, $30.00 transfer fees and $8.00 background check. This might be my last gun I by Online.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This law has been on the books since Squeeky Frome (sp?) tried to shoot President Ford in about 1974-1975, but, thank God, did not know you have to cock a Government Model before it will fire. She had the pistol pointed at his head and was squeezing on the trigger with all her strength, but, of course, could not make the uncocked pistol fire. She had had one gun taken away from her a day or two before, and then went and bought another, the .45 GM. Why she was not in custody after the first violation, I do not know, but that "multiple purchase," and the possibility of gun trafficking, generated the idea that the ATF should know when someone is buying handguns in "multiples."After that incident, the "two handguns within five business days" rule was established. The FFL in this case was mearly complying with the law, as he or she is required to do. Nothing prohibits you from buying a thousand guns a day (at least federally), but anytime a given FFL dealer sells two or more to one person within five business days, a report is required to be made to the ATF. Of course, since the reports are mailed, a situation like Frome's would be over before anyone could react at the ATF. Silly for that purpose, but for "trafficking," you could argue it has value.
  • smokey1smokey1 Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judge, Thanks for the heads-up on the background of this draconian law.I'm sure the gang-bangers of the world will comply to the fullest extent.LOL
    edited November -1
    Saxon, The extra charges come via taxes.Enforcing this type of BS law costs you and me and every taxpayer.I thought I turned the RANT OFF.
  • k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just last week I bought a Berreta 1934 and a Browning HP in 40 cal., the dealer did a multi puchase form on it, doesnt cost us anything and unless you have something to hide , who cares. The BATF will know that you bought a gun weather its all on one day or three the same day.
    edited November -1
    K.,That's exactly the point I'm trying to make.
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep hearing about all these "NICS" checks, and probs.? I assume that since ya'll are having to go through these checks.....you do not have a CHL? Concealed Handgun License. Wish all the states would pass the law allowing for private carry, you then would not have to go through the NICS or waiting period. Have not had a, maybe I have...just do not recall, a multiple handgun purchase since I've had my CHL, do not know if it would make a diff. there. I know if I purchase a handgun or long gun where the "yellow" papers come out..it only takes as long for me to fill em out, get checked out...and I'm out the door..no "NICS" check. Yellow papers are easy and quick...the 1st and last questions are "yes"...the rest are "no"...dont even read them anymore......
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
    edited November -1
    In Pennsylvania, EVEN WITH A CCL, you have to go through a nics check.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats right salzo. before NICS, in PA we could buy over the counter with no wait. But now that nics has come around it does not matter if you have a permit or not. That is the reason I got mine, so there was no wait. Now I don't need it. And as far as the black powder, they do not have to have your license for black powder. I've never been asked for mine.
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.
    edited November -1
    7mm- I have had my permits for less than five years. Is it true, that there is a certain cut off date, and if you had your permit before that date, your permit exempts you from Nics?
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well...Salzo and 7mm...that bites big...hope Texas doesn't go that way...just another roadlock to slow you down.....as I said before...all of us with a CHL will hear the "knock" first...as "they" know we have guns...or had...have reciepts showing to whom and when I sold mine...
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CHL's have no bearing on the multiple handgun reporting requirement.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are dealers in NYS and if you have a NYS Pistol Permit issued within the last 5 years or a NICS background check good for 5 years from when you received it, you do not have to be called in to NICS. It is federal law for us to report any multiple handgun sales to a certain individual within a 5 day period. Also the blackpowder deal Im not sure if its federal or state but we must see a drivers license and record it in a ledger for anyone buying any kind of powder even Pyrodex. We have a state employee come and check us on this once in awhile. We also have to pay $100.00 every two years for a license to sell the powder. Its fricking crazy and getting worse. Just the way "they" want it !!
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I think it should be a rule that every one should own 2 or more hand guns. It sounds like a good rule to me. Oh thats not what you mean. Well it would still be a good rule.
    edited November -1
    Gap,I LIKE the way you think! That should be the ONLY multiple gun rule.
    edited November -1
    MFI- I am certain that the requirement of showing a drivers license before purchasing blackpowder is not a federal law. I am also cetain there is no Pennsylvania(where I am from)law that requires a drivers license for a blackpowder purchase.It is probably a New York state law(what a suprise).
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    Some states have in effect a limit on the number of handguns you can buy in a 30 day period. I am writing this from memory so I may not be 100% correct, but I believe that Kalifornia and Massachusetts have a 'one handgun per 30 days' limit. There may be other states out there with similar laws. The GunBroker Help Center contains a link to the ATF's state gun laws section of their web site. The ATF has done a good job of collecting gun info from the states and publishes a booklet for each state to help you try to figure out the laws of your home state.[This message has been edited by admin (edited 02-15-2002).]
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, in this here fine state of Iowa (where it's a real B!+ch trying to get a CCW) you don't need a NICS check if you merely have a permit to purchase. So far I've bought four rifles and two handguns without a single one being run.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MD has the one per month rule. Now we have to take a class before we can buy an assault type or pistol or rifle or well,...you get it. Please, if I havn't hurt myself or anyone else yet, then what makes the panty wastes think I will do it now.MD= the second most communistic state in the unoin. You guys see what they are doing, they are outflanking you boys in the middle states. Gonna come in from both sides.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in West-by-Zeus Virginia, it doesn't matter how many CCW permits you have, you still have to go through NICS. I ran into a FFL dealer on a transfer who said, "regardless of how long it takes for NICS to reply, I'm not releasing this gun until they say, OK." Well, because of a run-in I had with the Feds in 1958, there was a delay. Don't understand why. That had never come up before and I've bought LOTS of guns since '58. Needless to say I haven't been back to his little store.I later found out that he wouldn't release a gun without the OK, was because he was under close scrutiny by BATF for some shady gun deals. ps...the guy's an ex-sheriff!Mudge the cautious
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my first Gunbroker gun recently. I sent a copy of my dealer's FFL to the seller, who forwarded it to his FFL shipper. My FFLer said he'd have to run an FBI check on me until I told him I had an Indiana Concealed Carry Permit, at which point he said that would do fine. The day my gun arrived, I went over, filled out a 4473, paid his $15 fee, and took my gun home. That's basically the way it should work. RugerNiner --Your FFLer doesn't need a copy of the shipping dealer's FFL. Just make sure your seller pays his own dealer fee if he doesns't have his own FFL. You should pay shipping cost plus gun price, nothing more. Unless the shipping dealer is in your home state, in which case you may pay sales tax. Anyone disagree with this summary?
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my first Gunbroker gun recently. I sent a copy of my dealer's FFL to the seller, who forwarded it to his FFL shipper. My FFLer said he'd have to run an FBI check on me until I told him I had an Indiana Concealed Carry Permit, at which point he said that would do fine. The day my gun arrived, I went over, filled out a 4473, paid his $15 fee, and took my gun home. That's basically the way it should work. RugerNiner --Your FFLer doesn't need a copy of the shipping dealer's FFL. Just make sure your seller pays his own dealer fee if he doesn't have his own FFL. You should pay shipping cost plus gun price, nothing more. Unless the shipping dealer is in your home state, in which case you may pay sales tax. Anyone disagree with this summary?
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is Basically going from Pawn Shop to Pawn Shop out of State. The Pawn Shop I used called the other Pawn Shop while I was there and could tell it was his first time for a transfer. Then he talked about wholesale Gold to him. If he gets Business from this transaction he shouldn't charge me his fee, in my eyes.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RugerNiner--I think you should get a "finder's fee" for bringing him business. My parents aren't exactly computer literate and they were looking for a gun. I bid on one here at GB and won the auction. The seller wanted a copy of the recipient's FFL (understandable) who wanted a copy of the seller's FFL first who wanted a copy of the recipient's FFL first...etc...etc...etc...Neither one of them would complete their end of the transaction until they had a copy of the other's FFL. It was enough to make a blind man go blind with frustration. I called another dealer in my dad's home town and actually got someone that understood.