In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Greased pig competitions under attack!!!

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
All, this is ridiculous....Saw this on the vegan message board (I read it from time to time for comedy relief)
QuotePigs 'not source of amusement' - SPCA New Zealand Herald28.10.2001 3.45 pm The SPCA has dismissed as hogwash claims there's nothing wrong with chasing greased pigs around a pen for fun. It's calling for a ban on a competition, held at an annual wild game event in Katikati, where pigs are greased up with olive oil and chased by women and children around a 10 metre diameter circular pen. But the Katikati Pig Hunters and Deer Stalkers Club - which held its open annual hunting and fishing competition at Labour Weekend - has no intention of stopping the popular greased pig catching event. SPCA Wellington animal welfare manager Hans Kriek, who has extensive knowledge about pigs, said the competitions were extremely stressful for the pigs being chased. "The reason it's running that fast is because it's not enjoying it," Mr Kriek said. "It's animal abuse." The SPCA has been opposing greased pig catching competitions for years and had been successful in getting a lot of communities to understand it was not good stockmanship, and sent a bad message to children, Mr Kriek said. "It teaches kids that animals are there for us to use as we please." While the events were slowly disappearing, they were still held from time to time, especially in rural areas, he said. It was an offence to cause unnecessary stress to animals and people who held greased pig catching competitions could possibly be prosecuted. Realistically however, prosecution would not be easy because it was difficult to prove how stressed a pig was after an event, unless the SPCA saw it happening, Mr Kriek said. The SPCA also wanted rodeos banned and believed hunting with dogs should be illegal. Mr Kriek urged the Katikati Pig Hunters and Deer Stalkers Club to stop holding the greased pig catching event. "If they want to have some air of respectability of what they are doing scaring little pigs won't do it," Mr Kriek said. Katikati Pig Hunters and Deer Stalkers Club president Scott Stephenson said his club would not stop holding the greased pig catching event, unless there was a huge public outcry. Monday's greased pig catch was the second time the event had been held at the club's annual hunting and fishing competition. He believed the Captain Cooker pigs used, which were a wild breed raised in captivity, were not stressed and said none was harmed. About 250 people watched the competition, which children and women could enter, and nobody complained, he said. "I think it's just a small minority of people trying to ban hunting in general," Mr Stephenson said.
Crush your enemies, drive their horses before you, hear the lamentation of their women.--Genghis Khan

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ???? What's the difference between greased pigs in a pen and a couple of ladies jello wrestling, if one is stressful and unusual cruelity wouldn't the other qualify for the same reasons?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well the ladies can choose to be in the jello... pigs cannot choose. But really, I see nothing wrong with chasing greased pigs- its not as if chasing them hurts them- but I can't think of anything more hick or stupid, except perhaps backyard wrestling.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk:Noticed your BIO says you have an interest in Sci-Fi and you call pursuing an animal with the intent of capture stupid. Oh, yeah, ya got a winner there. Clouder..
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Hey clouder: Do you ever have anything good to say about anybody?I'll bet you're that mean, bitter old man in the neighborhood who just lives for chasing the little kids out of his yard.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lowrider:You'd lose.Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd lose what?
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk, you'd have to be country to understand this, but few thing are as humorous as people interacting with animals. If you have never seen a greased pig contest, then you have missed one of lifes lighter moments. Donkey basketball is great fun as well. 10 donkeys on a basketball court with riders trying to dribble and score baskets.Cow Pie bingo is popular at most of the county fairs....a cow wanders around a pen that has grids marked off like a bingo card, you buy a number then wait for the cow to "mark the spot". If your square gets hit....you win. City folks could play the same thing with Pidgeons.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone want to help lowrider out. I don't have time.Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks anyway, but I don't recall asking for any help.Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? People can sit back in their insignificant little lives and pretend to be anything they like.Reminds me of folks I knew in the Army. The guys who were always bragging about the women they picked up in town on the weekends were the guys who really weren't gettin' any at all.Sound like anybody you know, cloudboy?
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is this political correctness? How do we know the pigs don't enjoy the chase. Yes they run fast, so does my dog when he chases his favorite ball. My kids both raise pigs for the local 4-h. They spend all spring and summer walking them and getting them in shape. Then when the county fair comes along, an auction is held and the pigs go to the highest bidders. It's probably more stressful on the kids than on those pampered piggies. I've seen a few greased pig contests at rodeo grounds and the pig gets away half the time. Like using dogs to hunt with. I doubt any of these people have ever held a gun,let alone hunted. I've posted before about my little fox terrier with the heart of a Rotty, who bravely runs into the thickest of brambles to jump the mighty stag for his waiting master. The anti's have never had a bear tearing through their house just because they had a little smoked fish on the counter. A houndsman is a welcome sight in my part of the country. Laws are passed based on morality, your's or mine. If the anti's would stay where they come from and keep their morals to themselves the World would be a better place. How's this for backdooring hunting? A few years back in the PRK the anti's wanted the Cougar, which is prolific in this area, to be protected forever. They didn't have enough votes to pass the bill straight up so they attached it to a Welfare Reform Initiative. The bill passed by about a 2% margin. Great, now we've taken wildlife management out of the hands of the experts because the Cougar is such a majestic animal. Granted they are beautiful to look at. Wanna go outside at 2am when the cows are mooing the horses are going nuts and now all you hear is a cat screaming in the night? A phone call to Fish and Game tells you no warden is available, go ahead and dispatch the animal if it is a threat to your livestock or person. Now I've got to kill it at night with a Warden showing up in the morning to recover the carcass because in the PRK it is unlawful to possess any part of a Cougar, even if killed lawfully, this includes out of state hunts. This could have all been alleviated with accountable sport hunting and the underpaid warden could probably get a raise from the revenues brought in. Lets see, if I call an anti will * come and take the nice kitty home with them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lowrider:"...pretend to be anything they like.""Sound like anybody you know, cloudboy?"signed by something called:
    Lord Lowrider the Loquacious
    Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking JacketsLaws no boss, don' no nobody lak dat.Clouder..
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whie clouder and lowrider why don't you two form your own hate each other web site and quit your stuff on this one?
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm giving him time to look "loquacious" up in the dictionary.I'm done with this silly discussion.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like them don't eat them ...Pass on the bacon ... New anti-Taliban weapon 500p "greased" nitro stuffed pigs (tossed from 20,000 feet)"LIVE"
    I judge Thee!, Not for what you are , but for what you say !
  • Options
    JBJB Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recently read an article where chasing small children around the house or yard and playing can be very dangerous to the child's mental stability in the future. It cases them to be afraid and not secure. I guess Halloween is to be banned next and... OH well... I say BS to all the so called "GREEN STUFF" ( the so called do gooders that really never had a life any way)
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowrider--You've stirred the pot one too many times for me. I'm in the Army and I never bragged about any "wild game" I didn't bag. Hell, I'll admit that I'm on a four-month losing streak. As a matter of fact, I ain't never been able to find no lovin' in the state where I am stationed now even when I lived here a few years before joining the Army. I shore do sound pathetic don't I? And to think that I went to a $500 seminar on "Closing the Sale".