In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are cameras with film....soon to be relics?

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
I've had an SLR camera for nearly 20 years, been very happy with the results....would like to upgrade it, but I'm wondering if it would be a relic with all the digital units available? Don't want to be buying something with a future like a black and white TV or an 8 track tape player?

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no use for the digital whiz-bangs that they call "cameras" today. I'm not bashing them. I'm just stating that I have no use for them. Mom and dad gave me a $700 digital camera and I feel guilty that it hasn't come out of the box yet. I don't take pictures. I don't even take pictures as a tourist.
  • Options
    bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been an avid photographer for 40 years...and I love film cameras. I even process and print my own images. But the reality is the world is going digital. In time, the only film and film cameras around will be for special applications. It will get increasingly difficult to find someone to do film processing.Digital cameras are here to stay. They will continue to get better (more capabilities) and less expensive. Programs such as Photoshop, the new high-rez printers, and special papers have made darkrooms all but obsolete. I suggest you seriously consider making the switch and buying a digital camera as the replacement for your film rig.
    Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 bsebast@airmail.net
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another possible option is to see if a digital back is available for your current camera.
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love digitals! So many people have moved to them that I can got to eBay and get really good lenses and accessories for my Minolta SLRs at a third of what they would have costs a few years ago. I'll be shooting film as long as I can buy it. A good scanner can turn a good film print into digital in about two minutes.
    "They that would give up liberty to obtain safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"Benj. Franklin, 1759
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Digitals are very convenient, but they have a long way to go to be as versatile as a good 35mm slr.No affordable digital has interchangable lenses, or a really useable zoom range....especially on the wide angle end. They also lack controllable depth-of-field via f-stops and action stopping cababilities via high shutter speeds.They're basically point-and-shoot cameras for making small images with little creative input at the camera end.I'll stick with my Nikons (and antique Leica collection).