In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Brand of Red Dot sight is most......

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
cost efficient?? Perhaps put another way, which brand is the best value for the money?? I'm sure Aim Point is the best but with an infrequently used rifle it is hard to justify the extra expense of an Aim Point.

So I get this months Shooting Times and on the cover is a Mossberg 464 lever action rifle with a red dot sight on it. I have a 464 but I never thought about putting a red dot sight on it.

I like the concept. The 464, with a red dot sight, would be a really good fast handling 50 to 75 yard rifle. An excellent close up hog and coyote round which might make an even better home defense gun than just about any rifle I can think of.

I don't want to spend Aim Point $ but am sure a less expensive red dot sight would do just fine but which brand??

What brand red dot sight have you used that you were very satisfied with?? Thanks all!!

Comments

• Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    I don't have any of their red dots. But I am very happy with the couple of primary arms scopes I have. Lifetime warranty. Good glass.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    edited November -1
    Vortex
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'v been looking at the sightmark wolverine to mount on a Marlin 1894
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holosun makes great stuff for a bargain price. Check out the 503 series, I have a 503c with circle/dot reticle. It s good quality red dot.
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vortex
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I've used the Tasco Pro Points for silhouette matches, very robust, easy to mount & adjust, bright enough to see in full-on sunlight, last one was just about a hunnert bucks.

If you want a cheap, large screen red dot with a built-in mount; Barska and Tasco both make 30+mm models for under a Bill.

If you're using it mostly indoors, any El Cheapo will serve your needs.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most here will laugh me off, but I put the cheapest holigraphic sight I could get, $18-20 off amazon on my lever action 357. has held zero for two years, got 2 nice bucks the last 2 years also. but like you said only good for 75-100 yards but makes the lever action good quick shooter for deer hunting when driving......
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,016 ******
    edited November -1
    We put a 'Tru-Glo' red dot on Denise's 20ga shot gun about 8 yrs ago. It has held zero ever since. We change the battery yearly before each hunting season. It has been great. Think we gave 20-25 dollars at Walmart.

She's got many deer with it and shot a golf ball at 25 yds,with a rifled slug,,,[;)][;)]

3uO4sH5l.jpg

YSqlPmSl.jpg

B9htHqOl.jpg

fyv5dREl.jpg

9Eoz2SXl.jpg
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.at3tactical.com/products/at3-tactical-rd-50-micro-red-dot-sight-w-optional-riser-mount

Long battery life, life time warranty, 2moa dot, bright in the full florida summer sun on 8 (it goes all the way to 11 as well!) and under $100 with appropriate height mount if you have an AR or similar.

I've had mine for a few months, works great. Got it to replace a similarly priced and featured Primary Arms unit that died a few months out of warranty, and PA recommended replacing with a unit that cost 2x...

The Bushnell TRS-25 is another in the same range, was a considered a good sight when I got mine 3 years ago but I read somewhere online recently that quality had gone down on recent production...
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Own two Vortex and have had zero issues with em.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to go under $100 Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 seems to get decent reviews. At this price range best to have it on a quick release to use iron sights should it fail.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Trijicon rmr 3.25 MOA dot and a Burris FastFire 2 with a 3 MOA dot.

My next red dot will be a Trijicon RMR with a 6-9 MOA dot. But these are for pistols not shooting past 25 yards.

I hear good things about the Vortex but look hard at the Burris FastFire 3. They can be had for less than $$200 if you look around.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple Vortex sights, one on a rife and another on a handgun.
    Very pleased with both. I also have two Bushnell TRS-25's, one on a handgun and another on a rifle. I have been very pleased with all of these.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple Vortex sights, one on a rife and another on a handgun.
    Very pleased with both. I also have two Bushnell TRS-25's, one on a handgun and another on a rifle. I have been very pleased with all of these.