In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone into vintage vinyl ???

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,653 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
Sorted through some of the final boxes from the move and rediscovered my collection of records from the 60 and 70's. Most were played once, recorded onto cassette and resealed.

The vintage record shops I have visited throw out the we will give you a buck or two for the ones we want.....in checking ebarf, several are worth in the 20-50 dollar range.

Anyone have any experience selling their collection ??

Comments

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold some unopened Beatles records on the original labels I bought in the early 80's for 100-200 each on ebarf in the early 21st century.
    That was 10 times my original investment
  • Options
    pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking to get retail prices, you might look into setting up at record show if there are any in your area. Here in ST. Louis there is a show at least 4 times a year at the American Czech hall.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pistoljim
    If you are looking to get retail prices, you might look into setting up at record show if there are any in your area. Here in ST. Louis there is a show at least 4 times a year at the American Czech hall.

Thanks for the info...I am about 100 miles from STL so I will look into that....
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My family has become big into records. My boys love everything about them.

It's great, none of them can read yet so music is chosen by album artwork alone. We will take them into the city and find a record store, let them pick something out (usually $5 or less) and then when we get home we have a "music party"

Where we turn on the new record and they dance all over.

I would be happy to bid on any lot of random records if you're inclined to list them here.

20160227_204044.jpg

20160227_205112_1.jpg
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll be watching your post, 81. I have a couple hundred vinyl and the earlier 78s from back in the 40's.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to their site:
    http://www.records.thewwbc.net/index.html
    Tables are only 35 bucks each. They have been doing this show for 36 years. I have over 300 albums in my collection. I never miss going to this show. You should do well with 60's and 70's stuff. It is always on a sunday but since you are retired I guess that would not be an issue for you.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have every original pre-crash Skynrd album, including their Gold & Platinum that I got autographed by the newer band in 1993, and three of those members are now deceased.

I have always wondered if the complete set would be worth anything?

Trinity +++
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used all my old 45's & 33's vinyls for targets way back when [:(], even had some very old 78's which shattered real nice like glass [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved out of my house in Ga. in 1996, I left my entire record collection there in the house along with the turntable. Had about 300 LPs, Simon and Garfunkle, Beatles, Creedence, usw.
    All had been played a lot.
    I wonder if they would be worth any thing today.

I don't miss 'em. I much prefer CDs. Only good thing, the LP was so big you could put some pretty good art on it. Otherwise what a hassle to play.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    My family has become big into records. My boys love everything about them.

It's great, none of them can read yet so music is chosen by album artwork alone. We will take them into the city and find a record store, let them pick something out (usually $5 or less) and then when we get home we have a "music party"

Where we turn on the new record and they dance all over.

I would be happy to bid on any lot of random records if you're inclined to list them here.

20160227_204044.jpg

20160227_205112_1.jpg

Interesting set up and I like your wall display. I ended up unpacking my Technics SL-7 linear track turntable with a Shure V15 LT cartridge and playing a half a dozen albums last night.... Sounded great. Then I looked up the value of the turntable and cartridge. Holy Moly!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tables are only 35 bucks each. They have been doing this show for 36 years. I have over 300 albums in my collection. I never miss going to this show. You should do well with 60's and 70's stuff. It is always on a sunday but since you are retired I guess that would not be an issue for you.

A question for you sir.......Is there a price guide that is generally acceptable for pricing vinyl ? Any direction in this matter would be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81

A question for you sir.......Is there a price guide that is generally acceptable for pricing vinyl ? Any direction in this matter would be appreciated.

You might try this site:http://www.musicstack.com/priceguide/
    I have never seen multiple dealers using the same printed guide like the blue book of guns is used by gun dealers.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple thousand LP's. My collection spans mostly the 60's through the 80's. Motown to metal and everything in between.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81

You might try this site:http://www.musicstack.com/priceguide/
    I have never seen multiple dealers using the same printed guide like the blue book of guns is used by gun dealers.

That is helpful, thank you again...
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave, I gave all of my good stuff away at yard sales. I don't have the time to sit and sell each one for a couple of bucks. I will look and see what I have and if you want them, I will get them to ya. Oakie
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,920 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW-This brings back memories. I have many orig. Gene Autery era artist's albums, Marty Robins, and a lot from the 40's Mom left. Should dig them out and dust them off[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Vinyl is making a come back. There are companies that are pressing new vinyl albums today. Most new vinyl that I have seen is pretty pricey. If you have a stack of old vinyl sitting on a shelf, you may be surprised at what they could be worth. So you might want to do a little research before you throw them away or sell them for a buck a piece at a yard sale. You could earn enough to finance a new firearm.
    DaveW, you should check out estate sales for albums. Most sell for a buck or less.
    RobOz, a couple of thousand lp's? All I can say is wow!
  • Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine were All "Stored" when I was in the "Home", so now that I'm on the "Loose"???! Ever watch the "Trackers"? Had a GE Unit that the speakers fit to the Top & Bottom of the Turntable to make a Traveling Record Player. I had the 1st Boom Box, Eh? Sea Me.
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my records, I bought a Bang and Olufsen turntable for $380.00 in 1983; I haven't really played records in a while, but we had a pipe rust through in the ceiling, and spilled water on it a few months ago. Turntable is kaput.

The big thrill for me was finding music that was rare. Now, it's all on the internet.
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    I love my records - been buying them since 1970. woodstock was my first album.
    I bought a Crossley record player that records CD's from cassette, record, aux, or the radio.

It's been fun recording the records onto CD for listening to in the car.

anybody who wants to let go of their records just LMK and I'll buy them or pay the shipping.

I'm a dirt head (nitty gritty dirt band)
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take the time to really do your research, some of the old vinyl can be worth a chunk of change!

When I got back into vinyl about 4 years ago I wasn't sure how well my 300+ LP's had survived my 60's and 70's party years! I was pleasantly surprised that since I'd always used a good turntable, cartridge, and needle and kept my LP's clean, except for a few with party errors, they were fairly noise free. A little over a year ago I upgraded from my old Denon DP-1200 to a VPI Classic 1 turntable and switched from Moving Iron to Moving Coil cartridges (Ortofon's Quintet line) and couldn't believe the detail it revealed in my old vinyl!!!

If you're serious enough about vinyl and willing to invest a reasonable amount of money in equipment and take the time to properly align and set VTA, Azimuth, VTF, and SRA; you will be rewarded with music that is highly revealing with an expanded soundstage and you'll hear musical content that won't be present in the best CD's. I rarely play CD's since moving back to vinyl; only when I want to listen to an album or song that I don't have on vinyl.

One cautionary, if anyone plans to purchase any of the new 180g or 200g vinyl pressings, make sure they indicate they are sourced from the Original Master Tapes, otherwise they are probably created from a digital source and all that detail will be lost, might as well buy the CD!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was walking with the wifey the other day and she wandered into a music/video store. When I went to get her what did I see a bunch of ALBUMS for sale??!! What I asked the clerk what was up and she said they are coming back people like them?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    A well made LP played on a well made turntable is about the highest fidelity one can achieve.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother lived in Okinawa until he passed about a year ago.
    He said the Japanese pay huge money for good american vinyl.
    Specifically targeting that market may be difficult.
    Just a thought.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    I used all my old 45's & 33's vinyls for targets way back when [:(], even had some very old 78's which shattered real nice like glass [:D]

..Sad, isn't it? My sisters were born in '44 and '48, so you can imagine the 45's they had. A grade school friend and I had a record/Frisbee fight in our barn and trashed them all...[V]
    ..I recently inherited a bunch of 78's in English, French and German. Some are even one-sided! Probably going to be tough to sell those.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    A well made LP played on a well made turntable is about the highest fidelity one can achieve.
    So true!!! Sadly, too many people trying to get into vinyl invest the money, but not the time to get all of the sound out of their system. It takes understanding and experimenting with the resistive and capacitive loading for the cartridge, including the interconnects, and having the patience to properly align and set VTA, Azimuth, VTF, and SRA. Ultimately, I purchased a USB Microscope so I could set the SRA to the magical 92 degrees and experiment from there.

Jack

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    hey tap - your kin were just getting the last laugh on you.[:D] 78's are 99.9% worthless.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kindly add me to your giveaway.

Thanks for the chance and very generous of you.

[:D]
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel
    hey tap - your kin were just getting the last laugh on you.[:D] 78's are 99.9% worthless.

..Oh heck, I know that, but they have sentimental value. We had a
    wind-up console style player that I used to play with. My Pops
    got tired of moving it from room to room and finally took an
    axe to it and tossed it out the second floor window...[V]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Probably have 120 45s, 20-30 78s, & 4 seachests of 33 1/3s. Used to be a college radio DJ, got most of what sounded good at the time from that job.
    Have several Operas, a few Documentary types, some Mitch Miller, Lamplighters, Jolson, Mario Lanza, Osibisa, the entire I Can Hear It Now series with Murrow, Andrews Sisters, Sammy, Dino & Frank, Parliament/Funkadelic, lots of Blues from Leadbelly to BB King, Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, Lightning Hopkins,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

I totally agree.......I hooked up most of my vintage equipment with the linear track turntable for the first time in 20 years. I bounced back and forth between the same song on my IPOD and vinyl......I really forgot how great vinyl sounds......