In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 22lr conversion slides plus mags

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
What ones do folks reccomend? I'd like to get one for budget friendly plinking and what not...a last shot hold open is even better.

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After extensive research of all the brands that are made for a 1911 I found the Kimber was the best. It is the same upper that they put on their 1911 .22 pistols. I have bought two, one was for my son and one for me. We both love them, they are very accurate and very reliable.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the Kimber version of the 1911 .22 rimfire conversion kit...

I have been happy with it - I am satisfied - I have used it on 3 different frames...

Magazines are hard to locate and expensive and made out of a blue high impact plastic...

Mike
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am currently reloading 9mm for only a few pennies more per round than .22

i would suggest getting a reloader , start up can equal the cost of your .22 1911
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marvel. If I was buying a conversation kit for a 1911 I would only consider the Marvel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Marvel. If I was buying a conversation kit for a 1911 I would only consider the Marvel.

Two reasons why I did not buy the marvel is

1) Marvels customer service sucks it is sad that if you have a problem and you call them they will give you the runaround and you'll never get your conversion looked at by them until after the warranty period.

2) you have to use specific ammo with the marvel. To operate reliably you have to have supersonic ammo here is a list of their recommended ammunition

The Marvel conversion requires a specific set of ammunition to function properly, which is carefully noted on the first page of the owner's manual. Federal ammunition is not recommended. Instead, the list includes three approved loads: CCI Mini-Mag, Remington Thunderbolt and Remington Cyclone

For these two reasons I find the marvel conversion inferior
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a whole .22LR like I did with a High Standard Supermatic Citation. Barrel swap is a cinch and the cost of a conversion only or a whole gun, the price is pretty close.

A friend o' mine has a Kimber 22 conversion. He said it's great but he loaned it out to his friend and it wasn't great. So it might be a hit or a miss on function from frame to frame.

If you must have a 1911? ATI/GSG 1911? I kind a like the half size 1911 (Remington?).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know Ciener make a last shot hold open conversion, and if I'm not mistaken Sig Sauer does too.

But the last shot hold open feature is accomplished by the magazine, not the frame. Which can be used in any conversion kit out there. I have 6 Ciener magazines that I use in my kimber conversion that works perfectly, and it they dokeep the slide open on the last shot
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One more thing to keep in mind, if you're 1911is at series 80, I don't believe there is .22 Long rifle conversion kit that works with a series 80s 1911 because of the firing pin safety. Although a series 80s redundant firing pin safety can be defeated so that a 22 conversion kit will work on them
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marvel conversion paired with a "loaded" Springfield Armory 1911 frame. I call it the "Marfield Special". [:D]. Great combination and extremely accurate with CCI Mini-mags. It does not lock open on the last shot and it is picky about the ammo used, Extra magazines are also pricey....

I did try it on other frames over the 7 or so years I have owned it. It has been paired with other a Taurus frame (yeah, don't laugh), Kimber Gold Match, Colt
    Series 70 Goverment, and a SA 1911 Mil-spec. It functioned well on all of them but has been the most accurate on the KGM and the SA it is paired with currently.

I have successfully squirrel hunted with it and have been able to consistently hit bowling pins at 50 yards. It will also shoot sub 1" groups at 25 yards if I do my part. I can live with it being picky with ammo used.......and mags being pricy ......and it not locking open on the last shot [;)][:)][:D]