In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lady bugs

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
How do I get them out of my house? I don't know where they are coming from but when I go down to my little shop(basement) I get bombarded with them. Annoying little s.o.b's!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm being Invaded.

One just made me do a search on the web. Black with 2 red dots on it. 1st time seeing one like that.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like they are swarming....they'll be gone in a few days.Merc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hung three bug zappers in the basement tonite, let's see how they like night lightes!
  • Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm, I have had some in my house since last summer. They must have got in the attic or something. Evertime I turn on my upstairs bathroom light, they crawl across the ceiling right to it. I take a dust buster, suck them up, and the next day, 10 more are on the ceiling. Paul Harvey said that if they are lady bugs, bay leaves in the window sill will get rid of them. If they are a cross breed or hybrid, the leaves won't work. The leaves didn't work for me. Good luck.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Lady Bugs are a good way to keep afids away from your garden.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wait until they get so bad they get in bed with you at night! The little bastards bite to! Last two falls they completly covered the south side of my house and now the drop ceiling in my garage are full of them. I use the shop vac every night and they stink like hell!
    Rosie the bug hater
  • Options
    Ms. BeastMs. Beast Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are not lady bugs, they are beetles. Don't crunch them, they stink and will stain your clothing! I vaccum then up or collect them in a glass of hot water...they don't last but a few seconds in the hot water, then flush them bye bye! They are all over and getting worse as the weather warms up.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....Why aren't there men "Lady Bugs"?.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rem. Because no man would make that big a pest of his self!!!
    RUN MAN RUN!! ;):):):)
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have the same problem, i use insect bombs in the ehavy areas and they seem to go away for awhile, then do it again
  • Options
    sjc1sjc1 Member Posts: 130
    edited November -1
    I have them in the attic and on the second floor. They find a way into the house during the fall. They are looking for a warm spot to spend the winter. This time of year they are looking to get out so they gather by a window with the sun on it. I wait to late in the afternoon then go and vaccum them up. About have the situation under control after about three weeks of attacking the little s.o.b.'s.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't that what the .17 round is for?

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rosie! Could I have a word with you?!!!!!
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....careful Rosie!....I think she has a 2X4 behind her back...

Actually, I'm thinking about getting a bunch of lizards and turning them loose in the house to get rid of these things...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bug zapper worked. Somewhat anyhow, you don't get as many hits as you do with the millers but they eventually go to the light and ZAP!
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bug zapper plus six-pack equals quality red-neck time.
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cant' say as I ever had a problem with lady bugs, but we did have a couple of those really big moths cover part of our front parch with eggs. They were so thick in some places that I had to take the garden hose to them to get them off.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just hire rodney dangerfield to coach them, you could have a bang-up soccer team hidden away in your basement.
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in KALIFORNIA, Home Depot, sells them by the bag full (about 2-3 hundred for about $7.00 a bag.

They are used as garden pest eradictors, and work quite well.

Get the picture..

"The great object is that every man.... everyone who is able may have a gun." Patrick Henry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt told me to say that Mrs. Beast, Honest. BAD REM! BAD!! leading me astray like that and getting me in trouble.
    Say Mrs. Beast darling...honey....sweetie. Can you tell me why my smileys don't work?
    Sweet little old innocent Rosie
    TESTING ;):):( Dang I'm smart! Only took me two days to figure it out!

Edited by - Rosie on 04/12/2002 19:25:18

Edited by - Rosie on 04/12/2002 19:28:05
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    If only it were crickets, then you could get a cat and watch fun happen.

It has become my purpose in life to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Or go fishing with them, bluegills love crickets.

Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Up here in Michigan we have the normal red ladybug and then there is an orange colored lady bug and - Boy Do They BITE (no joke) as soon as they land on you! I read they were brought in from Asia to control
    (I think) the Japaneese beatle. Now a days you may see 1 red to 300 orange. FYI

quote:Ask not what your country can do for you!
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I kind of like 'em.....

Like he said, they eat the aphids in my garden. And there's a lot more militant and irritating insects out there.

I hate red-faced hornets! They keep building hives near my house, and they're a truly militant bunch of cretins. I've suffered a dozen stings from randomly passing white-facers who just got the notion to harass me.

They must die! Where's my AR-15?

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, Rosie....I will let that one pass. I knew you would never say anything like that on your own! I am glad you figured out the smiley faces!