In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Magnumitis

muleskinnermuleskinner Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
As a hunting guide in Wyoming, I have noticed the proliferation of bigger calibers, cases and scopes for some time. Everybody comes here with the latest and greatest, usually putting about 20 rounds through their rifle a year. Here's a little secret: It ain't the gun that drops the game, its the brain laying on the stock. Anyone serious about big game hunting should ignore the gun magazines, go out and buy a 30-06 and put a 4 power scope of durable quality on it. Then shoot the damn thing in common hunting positions. One of my hunters this year was so afraid of his 338 that he needed a rest for a 27 yard shot, then couldn't see the bull cause he had his scope set on 10x! When a client shows me a shiny new cannon that is all the talk of the gun mags, I think, "here comes a long six days". When I see a well-used '06 and a low power scope, I know I have a hunter.

Comments

• simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Muleskinner,Can you drop me an email?bsimon@sirote.comThanks,Bryan
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you think of high polished bluing and shiney stocks on rifles and shotguns for hunting?
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what if i have a bad as* rifle with a killer scope in great shape with a nice magnum nosler sittin in it? I shoot it all year long at 300+yds, but I keep it very well and shoot it as well. I hope I'm not one of the dorks of which you speak. E-mail me too, I would like to come out your way in the next couple of yrs. I have seen way too many of those guys at the range as well. It's funny when you see them hop up off of the stock just before it goes off.JustinCollis@pobox.com thanks.
  • WyomingSwedeWyomingSwede Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muleskinner is right on the mark...lot of flatlanders operate just like that. Beware the man with one gun...he knows how to use it. swede
    WyomingSwede