In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hey, Highball

metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I think you were fishing for a thread with the "FN-FAL will eat the m1a/m14 for lunch" comment. I own 4 FAL's in the search for one that will hold a candle to my one m14. No way dude. How many FALs you seen in serious compitition??? I will be using 2 of mine on the 29th against the m14 and AR-15 guys and know for a fact I will lose the first round. I get to use either my m14 or AR for the second (the first round is for FAL pride) both are significantly more accurate. With that said the FAL design is one of my favorites. If maint. were so easy on all my weapons I would be bored. I love 'em too, but they are not evan rivals of the m14 anymore. My DSA is the best of the 4 and starts falling behind after about 200-250yds. I also have 3 kit guns, one all FN matching #'s on an Imbel (As accurate as the DSA just ugly) another FN out of South Africa it is just a shooter and an Israeli HB. None are evan comprable to a polytech m14. The DSA is a "VERY GOOD" gun but it ain't no 1000yd benchrest gun. Those are mostly m14's.Andy

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Apples and ORANGES...heheheheheeheheh
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball,(funny that,as I sit and type sippin on a gin & tonic) I've been looking in my area for a FN FAL,but the closest I find are these G3 american receivered guns.You said your still finding them.How bout I send you some jack and you take your time and find me one.PS,I might make it to Tulsa gun show in Oct,think I might find one there?
  • 5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    metz,"polytech m14" YIKES!!!!Had one, bore was slugged for it would not group, was measured .311! Oh, it would go bang, but the sights were for looks only.Now I say Springfield.
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, amen. The FALs after the last 40-50 years are about the same hit and miss as the slant m14's and that was what I was getting at. Some have been through alot and some are kits put together by idiots etc. Same ball game as buying a gook m14, only the m14 will probably still out shoot the fal. That light weight barrel and squat for QC are my only complaints on the polys. If you get a good one, they are quite nice. If you get a bad one, well...... they are quite bad. Andy
    edited November -1
    Roger that. I got your point my friend, I just took the liberty of adding some color.
    edited November -1
    Well,we can't get a fuss fight going.. Think about this ; The m-14 has been tricked up for 40 years..the Garand 60 years,the ar-15 has had the best brains we have in this country working on it for 20 years...and they will just barely outshoot a parts Fal.Ever heard of anybody putting on a Match barrel on a Fal ? Know anyone tweaking them ? They balance better,they break down better,the STG has its own bi-pod,neat as a pin..they gots a neat gas control system..they don't bleed gas into the action via a bent brake line..and the recoil is less,also. I could go on and on..but that Miller Draft is calling.... Sxsman....You want I should scare up a woman for you ,too ???HEHEHEHEHEEHEH,,,...I think there is some reason I should be mad at you..But that Bob's Best made me forget... Seriously,Yes,there should be one there ( Fal ) The last show,couple weeks ago,had at least two...560 to 625.00 was the damage on them...
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A proposal! If enough people rip on Andy's FAL with the wood stock, he has to give it to me! (I held it). Rock 'n' Roll, guys. Andy already told me it was OK.........(rubbing hands together gleefully, with evil intent)
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My memory is as long as my err,ummm anyways I think it had to do with the Bobs best.I shared mine with the less fortunate,and when I ran out had the audacity to ask for some of yours,putting a pretty good dent in it.Was very nice of you.Ifin it aint that I'm clueless.
    edited November -1
    TimberBeast ; Will be glad to help.Anybody with that many ought to share. Now,lets see...They are....eh,no their not...they don't sh......well,yes they do..they are ugly....uh,ever looked at a m-14 / looks like a boat paddle.. Dang,some help I am. When I was 18,they shoved a M-14 in my hands.I thought I had died and gone to heaven..such a rifle !! Then I grew up,looked around..Went thru the H & K 91 stage..a rich guys pretend toy...looked over the Sks,Ak's..relooked at the Garand and M-14..( what WAS I thinking ?_) I have seen prarie dogs crawl away after being hit with the .223...no thanks. then I saw a Fal.Trust me,if an idiot hasn't had it..( takes time out to wipe flushed face ) they are one super rifle.Plus..if you have to fix it..they are super simple.
    edited November -1
    I have heard the story how the FAL beat the M14 during the testing for the US Gov. I'm not sure why, but I always wanted one. I mean it has some character, being the shortest lived US Battle rifle and all......For me, it says made in the USA. If I'm not mistaken, in the oldest firearms manufacturing plant in the US. I like that. I really enjoy mine, in fact Highball, I'll bring the belt feed mechanism that I worked out for the M-1A to the Show next month.Is it a better Battle rifle than the FAL? I don't know. For whatever it's worth, you sure see lots of them in photos of conflicts in third world countries. But then you see that a SEAL team will carry at least one M-14.
  • TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    timberbeast - we'll both fight over who gets Andy's FAL. I believe that was me holding it in the picture (lol).Truly an interesting looking gun plus they just feel right when you hold them.Kinda like a few other guns I've been shooting lately - they feel right and all weapons have a place or niche that they fit in.
    edited November -1
    Did you shoot the .223 and fall in love, T? As per your post elswhere, Dean answered you as well.
    edited November -1
    No timberbeast I didn't get to shoot the .223 but it's definitely in my want list - right after the .45acp or maybe before - can't remember which.And where did Dean answer me? Damn, missed it again!
    edited November -1
    Egads, T, that was about a week ago? On the site of the Grizz, Dean had some comments for you, don't remember the name of the post!!!! Glad you're okay with the post I made.
    edited November -1
    Oh hell, timberbeast - I'll never find it now if'n it's been a week ago.There are two sites with a Grizz on them - I'll assume you mean the site where I first made your aquaintance.And you should of known I wouldn't mind that post you made - I appreciated it in fact.