In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NY: Asst. Principal had gun in car, now barred from job (12/22/2001

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
PRINCIPAL HAD GUN IN CAR, COPS SAY By JOE CUNNINGHAM, PHILIP MESSING and CARL CAMPANILE
December 19, 2001 -- "Everyone hears the name `Bushwick' - it's become a very bad name. People feel like they have to protect themselves when they come here."SCHOOL WORKER An assistant principal at a Brooklyn junior high - known at his school as stern with the children and hard-working on the job - yesterday was busted for packing a loaded, illegal .22-caliber pistol in his car. Arthur Alex, 60, of Flushing, Queens, was on his way to IS 349 in Bushwick at 7:45 a.m. when he allegedly blew through a stop sign at Wilson Avenue and Troutman Street near the school. Police pulled him over and saw the pistol in plain view, officials said. He was charged with two counts of weapons possession and cited for passing a stop sign. Board of Education officials said Alex, a tenured teacher, began his teaching career in 1997 at PS 86 in District 32 in Brooklyn and had a clean record. They said he would be reassigned to the superintendent's office - and barred from consideration for any future supervisory job. At the school, staff and students were shocked, but had different views of the man. "This has shocked all of us," said one school worker who asked not to be named. "Everyone hears the name `Bushwick' - it's become a very bad name. People feel like they have to protect themselves when they come here. "He's new," the employee said of Alex. "But when I first came here, I was scared, too." Parent Gina Vasquez, who owns a beauty salon and has a 12-year-old daughter, Tamayra, at the school, said she was disappointed, but understood. "If someone was threatening me or something, I would bring a gun to school. He's defending himself," she said. Her husband, Nicholas Vasquez, was less forgiving. "I think they should ban him from school," he said. "This just brings another element of danger to the school. I think it's the wrong message to the kids." Eighth-grader Justin Vasquez, no relation to the family, said he thought Alex was "just paranoid." "I don't think he's in any danger," he insisted. Alex, who lives about a block from Queens College, was described as a good neighbor and "a wonderful man," said Catherine Alcazar, 74. "I called him for Hanukkah," she said. "He's a very old-fashioned man. It's not nice to have a gun to protect yourself . . . but the way things are going, people have no respect. He's the best. Everybody's close to him." http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/37088.htm

Comments

• Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    It's not nice to have a gun to protect yourself? What kinda crap is that? So we should just let the criminal kill us because guns are bad? What a stupid way to think! I have now heard it all.
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an ex that lives in NYC. She is an incredibly conservative republican but disagreed with the fact that I had a NY CCW permit. She stated that she didn't think that the common cab driver shouldn't be allowed to carry a weapon due to the fact that a sudden loss of temper (which occurs often on the streets of NYC) could result in the loss of her father's life if he cut the driver off. I reprimanded her sharply for an incredible length of time and ended the call in disgust.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Up here in Albany, we had a pricipal who, in response to a teacher being stabbed 8 times by a student who had just been repremanded for not doing his homework, kept a loaded .45 in a locked desk drawer for 9 years. He never told anyone.This was in Arbor Hill, btw, the worst area in Albany.He retired recently and admitted that he kept the pistol. Before, everyone thought he was great because the assault and truancy rate at the school was way down. Now no one will even speak his name for fear of pissing off the Liberals.The parents call up the news networks and rip him a new one while little Rashante is off buying a Saturday Night Special out of some G's trunk for a months worth of allowances.