In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Egyptian Maadi - Any better than MAK90

Trader DaveTrader Dave Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
Are the Egyptian Maadi's any better than a regular MAK90? Got a friend wanting to sell his MAADI (with red dot scope) for $300 and I was wondering if this was a good deal. I never followed that market and was wondering if it was just the same ole MAK90 clone. It is in excellent condition and I was not sure if I wanted to get it or not. I am sure several on this board can give me good advice. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    Opinion is 50/50 on these some consider the thumbhole stock Maadi to be good. The "MISR" stamped are universally considered unusable, with mish-mash parts and misaligned barrels. Maadi supposedly had some problems with their early models which were eventually solved, but don't know S.N. range. I have a MAK90 and have no problem with it. These are now going for a little more than $300 so with the scope may be worth it but perhaps not a great deal. Take it to the range and fire 300rd through it as fast as you can and find out. Not very expensive and a lot of fun.[This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 01-09-2002).]
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't buy either unless your local jurisdiction prohibits owning a Romanian SAR-1 AK-47. They're cheap, rugged and reliable. If you must choose between the Maadi and the MAK-90, go for the MAK-90, hands down.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Note to self:Sell the MISR/MAADI,keep the MAC-90.218
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    MAC 90 BY NORINCO IS THE BEST FOR THE MONEY.
    KIMBER: Pistol du jour
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In comparison to other makes, the Maadi is inferior in all aspects. I just sold mine a few weeks back for $300 and am happy I did.-smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Glad to see the referance to the SAR-1, I just got one, NIB, plus six 30rnd mags for about $400 even....I feel pretty good about that, even if it may seem a little high.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Matt,$400!? Ouch! That is heinous! I would have sold you one for 300 shipped. As it is right now, you can still get them from AIM for 339. Munkey[This message has been edited by thesupermonkey (edited 01-10-2002).]
  • Options
    Trader DaveTrader Dave Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This board and all of you are great. Thanks you very much for the most informative and helpful information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Matt:Monkey is a fellow AK-enthusiust, so he knows his stuff.However, you didn't do all that bad with the $400. You got a bunch of magazines along with the weapon. Even the cheap POS AK mags go for about $10 each. You didn't do that bad at all.Also, the going rate for Romanian SAR-1's is close to $369 now anyways. AIM may have them for a bit less, but not for long.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Is there any important difference in quality in your wise opinion between the SAR-1 and a WASR made to accept hi-caps (like on the aimsurplus page)?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I doubt my opinions could be classified as "wise", but I'll be happy to put my two cents worth in!I've never owned or fired one of the WASR's, but just keep in mind that you get what you pay for. I don't tend to buy guns just for plinking. Each item in my collections has to have justifiable self-defense potential or I don't buy it. So, that said, I can bet my life on anything in my safe. If I had to choose an AK to defend my hide with, I'd go with the Romanian SAR-1 because I've shot it and I'm very comfortable with it. Anything with the word "modified" in the title leaves room for Mr. Murphy, IMHO.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Ah....I know Mr. Murphy.Is he the one who lives under every rock, just waiting for someone to trip?