In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No more ammo purchases for us Canucks

deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I always USED to order ammo from the likes of Natchez, Midsouth etc when I was on vacation in the States. I guess I'm a criminal now. Does this look like tit for tat because of Canada's registration or do they think Osama came from Canada? http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/owners&users/bordercrossing/US2002.asp New U.S. Regulations For Non-Residents Purchasing And Importing Firearms And Ammunition In a Snapshot Canadian residents who will be temporarily bringing firearms and ammunition into the U.S. or who wish to purchase firearms and ammunition while there will feel the effect of American legislation enacted in 1998 with the regulations coming into force February 19, 2002. New Regulations for Purchasing Firearms and Ammunition in the U.S.: The regulations generally make it unlawful for non-residents (non-immigrant aliens) to possess and receive firearms and ammunition in the U.S. Exceptions for purchasing firearms and ammunition include the following: 1. Non-residents who have the firearm directly exported to Canada by a U.S. licensed firearms dealer; 2. Non-residents who have a) a valid U.S. State-issued hunting licence or permit or an invitation to a U.S. competitive sports-shooting event, b) proof of residency in the U.S. for at least 90 days, and c) an alien or admission number issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS); and 3. Law enforcement officers in the U.S. on official business. Additional Information Non-residents who choose to have the Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) export their firearm directly to Canada do not require the hunting licence/permit, the alien or admission number, or the proof of 90-day residency. However, when selling a firearm to a non-resident who is taking possession of the firearm and who will personally export it, the FFL must see a valid State-issued hunting licence or permit (unless the non-resident falls into another exception category, such as a diplomat or law enforcement officer.) Other accepted documentation, besides the hunting licence/permit, is an invitation to a competitive target or sport-shooting event, but the non-resident must meet the 90-day residency requirement. Re-enactors and sport shooters (not invited to a competition) will need to acquire a hunting licence. Most States issue hunting licences/permits to non-residents. The hunting licence or permit can be acquired in one U.S. State and the firearm can be purchased from an FFL in a different State. All non-residents must provide an Immigration and Naturalization Service-issued alien number or admission number when purchasing a firearm from an FFL. If not already in possession of such a number, one can only be obtained from an INS inspector at a U.S. entry point. It cannot be obtained from within the U.S. The 90-day residency requirement remains unchanged. New Regulations for Temporarily Importing Firearms and Ammunition into the U.S. 1. The non-resident must provide U.S. Customs with a pre-approved U.S. import permit and evidence that they fall into an exemption category (by providing a valid State hunting licence/permit or an invitation to compete in a target shooting event or to display firearms or ammunition at a sports or hunting trade show sponsored by a national, State or local firearms trade organization devoted to the competitive use or other sporting use of firearms) before they will be allowed to import firearms or ammunition. 2. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) issues the required import permit. This permit can be obtained by completing a form (Form 6 Part 1, Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War), which is available at the ATF office in Ottawa, on the ATF Web site as well as from the Canadian Firearms Centre. It can take 6 to 12 weeks to process the application so the permit should be applied for well in advance. *The application form for the import permit must be accompanied by a copy of a U.S. hunting licence or an invitation to a target/sport shooting competition.* PLEASE NOTE: Non-residents do not need a U.S. export permit to export firearms or ammunition that were temporarily imported into the U.S. for an approved purpose. Contact Information: Form 6 (for the U.S. import permit) is available from either contact: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch: Phone - (202) 927-8320 Web site - www.atf.treas.gov Canadian Firearms Centre: Facsimile - (613) 941-1991 e-mail - canadian.firearms@justice.gc.ca Web site - www.cfc.gc.ca

Comments

• Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the same thing that Canada has for Non-residents. I cannot import ammo to Canada and I need a hunting license to buy ammo in Canada as a non-resident. At least you can still import ammo to the US.
    AlleninAlaska
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    If you've lived here for more than 90 days, you dont have to worry.If you're just visiting, you'll have to make due without. We've been subject to exactly the same laws when visiting your country for several years now.Plus, you guys burned the White House in 1812 and we havent forgotten it
  • Options
    deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have walked into Gander Mountain and Wal-mart and just paid for ammo in the last month. How do they know where I live? Does this mean they will be ID'ing everyone in the US now?DC
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Just another reason to re-load your own ammo.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    They ID me for anything remotely relating to guns.I bought a choke tube the other day and the guy wanted 2 forms of picture ID. I told him to stuff it and I'd buy it online.