In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kick the habit or pay up!

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
(AP) Four former surgeons general on Tuesday unveiled a plan to reduce smoking that included a $2-per-pack tax they predicted would prompt at least 5 million smokers to quit.

They also called for a nationwide counseling and support line for smokers trying to quit, an idea that immediately was put into practice by Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson.

Thompson said more than $25 million would be dedicated for the toll-free, national "quitline" that will be established by year's end. States also would receive additional funding to either supplement or create their own quitline services.

"The benefit of this network is that it provides a single access point for smokers so that every smoker can get the tools that he or she needs to stop smoking," Thompson said.

The 10-point plan endorsed by the former surgeons general and other health advocates seeks additional tobacco research, better doctor training and an extensive media campaign explaining the dangers of smoking.

It also urges that the cigarette excise tax be raised from the current 39 cents to $2.39, of which 50 percent of the proceeds - or $14 billion - would go toward paying for the various aspects of the plan.

About 50 million Americans smoke, with many of them concentrated in poor neighborhoods where treatment is not widely available. Health officials have estimated that smoking causes about 440,000 premature deaths per year and costs the nation $75 billion in direct health care expenses.

"It is the equivalent of another 9-11 World Trade Center, Pentagon and Pennsylvania disaster occurring about every two days," said Dr. Julius Richmond, the nation's top public health official under President Carter from 1977 to 1981.

About three out of four smokers seek to quit, but fewer than 5 percent who quit for a day are able to sustain that for longer periods.

"If we act now, we can prevent tomorrow's cancer, emphysema and health disease," said Dr. David Satcher, who served under Presidents Clinton and George W. Bush from 1998-2002.

Jennifer Golisch, a spokeswoman for tobacco giant Philip Morris USA Inc., said that while the company supports government efforts to educate the public about smoking, a $2 per pack excise tax could promote tax evasion.

"We are opposed to the proposed federal excise tax increases because cigarette excise taxes could have unintended consequences," she said. "For example, smokers may purchase from the Internet and Native American territories."

The 10-point plan also calls for federal officials to:

Encourage insurers to provide health coverage for smoking cessation treatment, such as counseling and drugs.

Initiate community-based programs in schools, workplaces and faith-based organizations to combat smoking.

Establish a uniform standard of tobacco dependence treatment among health care providers.

Others supporting the 10-point plan Tuesday were former surgeons general Dr. C. Everett Koop, who served under Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush from 1981-89, and Dr. Jesse Steinfeld, who served under President Nixon from 1969-73, as well as the American Public Health Association, the University of Wisconsin's Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention and the American Legacy Foundation.

Gun_smokes.gif

Swanton.gif

Comments

• 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    No surprise, there is "NOTHING" that our government will not tax. By the year 2012 they will have robotic irs agents roaming city streets taxing people for farting in public.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't smoke (never have) but it appears that it too will be for the rich. It seems everything is getting too expensive for the huddled masses. [}:)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ohhh boy. NOW ILL BE ABLE TO QUIT, since the federal government is going to help me.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bunch of crap its a drug I'm addicted and they want to make even more money off it thats wonderful. I want to quit on my own terms not because some bureaucratic a--hole wants to raise taxes on them. Put plain and simply you have to be ready and want to quit before you will actually do it. I wonder if they will find a way to tax internet purchases of cigarettes right now I can get a carton of marlboros for 15 bucks granted they are made in russia but except for the tax stamp I can't tell the difference.
  • jl45jl45 Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's true that the majority of smokers are in the lower income brackets. Then isn't this a tax on the poor? And since the government keeps telling us how addictive smoking is how is raising the price of your addiction going to help you quit?
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    jl45, you've got it. They tax it cause they know it's an addiction.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe they don't want to quit, geez, let people make their own decisions, and let THEM pay the extra health insurance.

[}:)]

Too much darn regulation on everything.

bigun2.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I don't smoke, so I normally don't have much sympathy towards smokers. This does seem a bit extreme however. I do like the idea of people not smoking. If this would work I would be in favor of it. If it would work.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smokeeater 38
    I do like the idea of people not smoking. If this would work I would be in favor of it. If it would work.

Ohhh yeah its a great idea. And while we are taxing the minority and giving the government our blessing to do so, lets start placing an equivalent federal tax on guns, to pay for the carnage that guns cause in this country.
    $2.00 a pack? When you consider that is the cost of a pack of butts is LESS THAN $2.00 when you take all the taxes away, let make the tax on firearms 125% . So instead of paying $200 for a gun, you can pay $450. Its a good idea. It woul prohibit people from buying guns, which will take away from society the cost that accrues due to gun violence. And gun owners are a minority in this country, so why not? And for those who cant shake the addiction of buying guns, the money that is collected on the gun tax can be used to pay for the tax program, and also to pay for the expense of a gun society.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seeing that tobacco will grow in most of the lower 48 states. I have wonder if they've ever considered something. When tobacco is priced like marjuana, it might just be maketed like marijuana, and there will be no taxes coming in.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • rcdisrcdis Member Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anybody remember the days when the advertising was " More doctors recommend Chesterfeilds" and cigarette smoking was prescribed for "nervous patients."

rcdis
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad I already quit. This "beat on smokers" crap was one of the reasons it took me so long. Freaking do-gooders trying to run other people's lives is all there is here. Oh, and come with some more money to P!SS away on some other touchy-feely welfare project.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • BigBubbaBigBubba Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm for folks quitting smoking, but this is not the way to do it. If the government wants to "help", they should simply aid in educating people about the health risks of smoking, not raise taxes. But, that would the smart thing to do, and we are talking about the government here. [V]

"Sure, you can trust the government. Just ask an American Indian."
    -Bumper sticker

The greatest safety device in the universe, when used properly, is the human brain.

"Keep your eyes open, do your own thinking, and be your own man."
    -Marshal Matt Dillon
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigtire
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    [brOhhh yeah its a great idea. And while we are taxing the minority and giving the government our blessing to do so, lets start placing an equivalent federal tax on guns, to pay for the carnage that guns cause in this country.
    $2.00 a pack? When you consider that is the cost of a pack of butts is LESS THAN $2.00 when you take all the taxes away, let make the tax on firearms 125% . So instead of paying $200 for a gun, you can pay $450. Its a good idea. It woul prohibit people from buying guns, which will take away from society the cost that accrues due to gun violence. And gun owners are a minority in this country, so why not? And for those who cant shake the addiction of buying guns, the money that is collected on the gun tax can be used to pay for the tax program, and also to pay for the expense of a gun society.

-Jimmy the cheese man

Guns don't kill their owners when they use them (correctly).

I have never seen a cigarette used for self protection.

A firearms is a TOOL. Nicotine is a DRUG.

Talk about apples and oranges!

Says you. The majority would disagree with your opinions.The majority fews guns not as tools, but as instruments of death. Point is, you should not be welcoming and encouraging taxation on a product because "you dont like it". A lot of people dont like guns, and wouldnt see any harm in taxing the hell out of them, because they dont need them to begin with.
    We should question the governbment ANYTIME they propose raising a tax. But most, only question it if it affects them personally.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taxing someone's addiction isn't going to make them all quit. If they tax cigs like that why not tax chocolate bars being purchased by fat people to. Neither scenerio is good for those partaking but why should the government make money on it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rmeyer
    .....why not tax chocolate bars being purchased by fat people to.

The couldnt tax chocalate, because too many people eat chocolate. They wouldnt be able to get away with it because the people would object. But smokers? Hey thats OK cause most people do not smoke, and "most people" wouldnt object to the taxation placed on those citizens.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Salzo on this one. And I like the point he brought up about the attacks on firearms by ppl who don't own or care for em. What should the non-armed majority care if the government takes our guns away. They don't because they think it doesn't affect them. What they don't realize is that such laws spill over; they form a "precedent" (sp?).

I'm in the medical community and am sick of its communist tendencies. It has no business in politics. They should foster good health but in the end, freedom should prevail. The government has no business telling me what is good for me or my health. It reminds me of 1986 (Orwell) when the government outlawed sugar because it was "bad for health". They forced everyone to use saccharin instead.[V][:(!][xx(]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

A firearms is a TOOL. Nicotine is a DRUG.

Talk about apples and oranges!

Bigtire, would you care to explain to me just what A.T.F. stands for?

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sick of all this crap

WHAT HAPPENED TO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

If you choose to smoke you take the health risks
    you should pay the price
    the goverment should not be in the equation at all

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO[}:)]
    fcb9874f.jpg.thumb.jpgfc21ef6c.gif
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    During the war, the government would ship smokes over to the GI's by the truckloads- yea, get'em hooked, then tax them and reel them in![:(!]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has it been brought up to tax ammo by the round?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Prohibit smoking and just like the Alcohol back in the 20 and 30s crime will rise. People are gonna kill themselves no matter what the government tries to do to stop em.[}:)][}:)][:o)][:o)]Outlawing drugs aint done a thing, people still dying from overdoses. GOOD FOR THEM

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in bootcamp 1st day they said we could buy anything, so most everyone got smokes even though I didnt smoke so did I ,then they used them as rewards (ie) thanksgiving and christmas.Then 1 day they ask who smokes a bunch held up their hand ,me too ,They took us out and made us smoke one after another on comand people were getting sick .I was hooked, the day I got out first thing in airport was a big-mac next was a pack of smokes NOW TAX THE $%#@out of me
    I made it till I was 19 with never having smoked ,now over 20 years later still smoking THANKS TO OUR GOV
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrOg
    It reminds me of 1986 (Orwell) when the government outlawed sugar because it was "bad for health". They forced everyone to use saccharin instead.[V][:(!][xx(]

That sound you just heard was me beating my head on the wall.

First, it's 1984.

Secondly, there is not a single smidgen of information in the book to suggest that they banned sugar for any reason at all, much less for health reasons. Everyone is issued a ration, and saccarine is much cheaper than sugar.

army_slblu.jpgpv2.gifInsignia_in.jpgairborne%20wings-2.jpgtogcrest.gif