In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

"Reel" guns

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Went to the NRA's Movie Guns display yesterday. Was quite disappointed. They had some pretty cool stuff there but so many of the "guns" were "non-guns". Rubber replicas of actual weapons. Even the Garands from "Private Ryan" were molded rubber.I did, however, drool on a couple of the real guns. The Sharps from "Quigley Down Under" and the Winchester Steve McQueen used in "Tom Horn". Mudge the disappointed
I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!

Comments

• 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I HOPE THE NRA IS NOT TURNING POLITICALLY CORRECT.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, I don't think the NRA had anything to do with whether they were "non-guns" or not. They were what was actually used in the movie(s). The caption on the Garands noted that the producers of "Private Ryan" were particularly happy with the rubber guns because they would float.The mini-gun replica that Keanu Reeves used in Matrix had to be made of aluminum. Otherwise he wouldn't have been able to lift it.Only had a couple of items from John Wayne's movies. He lost so much stuff when his place burned, I guess that's all they could come up with.Mudge the disappointed Did I mention that "Quigley's" Sharps and "Tom Horn's" Winchester are beeyootiful?
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 03-28-2002).]
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They used a ton of extras, most armed with Garands, during the Omaha Beach scenes in Private Ryan. I've heard this portion of the movie was filmed on the coast of Ireland.Imagine the looks on the Brit bureaucrats faces when permission was requested to import a boatload of battle rifles into THAT little corner of the world. I doubt if many of the rifles we saw in the first 15 minutes or so were real.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    They shoulda' given the IRA a call and asked to borrow a few hundred Garands