In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Venison steaks

BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
This one's easy.

I just came into posession of two gorgeous venison steaks.

The only question now is, what's the best way to cook them?

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just took some out of the freezer...Any new recipes out there?
  • Options
    FUBARFUBAR Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grill them with tree bark from a 6" tree shot down by a M44.

Guns! Guns! Guns!
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put a little olive oil on it. Season it with pepper.Put it in a foil lined pan. Cook it in the oven at about 350, for between 8-10 minutes on each side.When the juices dry up in the pan, that usually means it is good to go.If it is not done, just cook and flip a little longer. I like my venison "done" a little more than most. Just a little pink on the inside. I have done all sorts of things in the kitchen with venison, and I feel the simplest is best.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Place the steaks in a bowl or a sealable bag. Add a few chopped cloves of garlic, a chopped onion, and one or two bay leaves. Then cover the mixture with beer. Allow them to marinade overnight and either grill them or broil them. It can't miss.
    -Hans
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would cook it like salzo says, but I would add a couple of peeled orane slices and bacon on top with extra seasonings but nothing strong.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,700 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cook mine very slowly on the outside edges of my grill, this seems to keep them juicy. I brush on butter and add garlic salt and some pepper. My mouth is watering just thinking about it....
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye,
    Looks like you are never going hear the end of this shooting a tree deal. If it would make you feel better you are not alone.
    I have shot quite a few down myself. Not really intentionally though. I have a 150 yd. range starting as part of my back yard. Behind it there is about another 150 yds. of woods then a mountianside for a backstop. Needless to say the trees behind the target has caught quite a bit of lead. It is not uncommon for one to fall when me and my friends are having a little friendly competion.
    At the rate it is going I will have a 300 yd range before long. Also makes for good firewood.
    And for anyone else reading this that is worried about me damaging property....My Land....My Trees....My Business.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tips, everyone.

As for the tree, it was approximately 6-inches in diameter.

It was, however, leafless, quite dry and had clearly seen better days.

The first shot, which landed right of center, took a large chunk out of the tree. It appeared to be rotten inside, as there was a fair amount of dust flying.

The second shot landed about center (of what was left), and the tree literally collapsed from the top down. It buckled and fell.

I dont know if the collapse was normal. 7.62x54mm vs. dead tree sounds like a fair match to me.

Maybe it can be attributed to some other factor. Who knows?

If someone from the Peanut Gallery wants to send me a digital camera, I'll take a picture of it for you.

I'd also be willing to bet if I found a similar tree I could probably duplicate the damage I caused to the other tree. Whether it would fall down this time, I cant say.

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Salt and pepper it,add Evergades Seasoning,if ya got it,
    throw it in the grease,on both sides till it`s DONE.

Any other way is for fags.

• Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want to cook it until it's done, but for some reason, most people overcook venison. They must think it is unclean or something and need to cook it extra so it will be OK. But actually, it's some of the best, and most healthy meat you can put in your mouth.

Prepare it as you wish, but try a little with a minimum of seasoning to see how you like it. And whatever you do, don't overcook it!
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to trim all the fat off, this seems to take the gamey flavor out. Than grill with garlic salt and pepper.
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Don't hide the flavor with all those spices and seasonings.Pan fry in a little grease until just pink in the middle.Now you will taste venison,not somebody's spice mix.A little salt and pepper is okay.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    I dont care how you do yours, but when you do mine make it medium and marinate it for a couple hours in a mesquite marinade then throw on a few chips as your grilling it for me. umm what time am I supposed to be there . Ill bring the diet Pespi, pearl onions and sour cream. Hopefully that tree was a mesquite tree

"Respect your Tools"
    "Freedom is not Free"
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    If'n I had trees, I'd shoot at 'em.
    Put just a touch of lemon juice on whatever you decide to do with it.

29 Palms

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just throw mine on the Weber grill with some Montreal Steak Seasoning and cook it medium rare same as you'd cook beef steak. Throw a bunch of sliced raw onions on top when it's done, open a Heineken and call me.
  • Options
    SCREWEDUPSCREWEDUP Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME HUNGREY EVEN WHILE I'AM SITTING HERE EATING.

STEPHEN R BROOKINS
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    marinate over night in Italian dressing, dash of worchester, raw onion (diced) montreal steak seasoning and basil/oregano. Grill on hot grill quickly to sear the outside and contain the juices. I find that if venison is cooked too long, it often gets a more game flavor.

When in doubt...empty the magazine!!
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bullz:

Ya kill me. Just collapsed straight down, did it? Sounds normal to me.

Maintenance is a beech.

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, yeah, the steaks.

Cook it just like you do your beef steaks except make sure you sear it first and then cook it a little less than beef. Deer meat (that's venison you had to pack for over one mile) is low-fat and will get tough if cooked too long. Bon apetite.

Clouder..
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 218beekeep's idea. And, lightning, if you burn trees that are full of lead isn't there a chance of lead poisoning if you inhale the smoke?

Just a thought.

Bullzeye, let us know how you end up cooking the steaks!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, you're making me hungry. My steaks are still on the hoof, but they will be even bigger than this past Fall.

I cook 'em any way handy, but don't go in for the stuff that hides the flavour. The whole family loves them straight off the grill.

Ken
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've decided to cook one straight up, and the other is currently marinating in some chopped red onions, a few cloves of crushed garlic, and a little bit of a mixture of A1 Bold n' Spicy and A1 Teriyaki.

We'll see how it comes out.

That's the fun of cooking. You eventually find the magnum opus if you try it enough ways.

• Options
    edited November -1
    No school today I see.

Clouder..
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ConcealedG36
    The idea is for the smoke to go up the chimney even though at times a little sneakes out in the house. Dont know if you can get lead poisining by inhalation or not. No side effects yet anyway.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No school for the whole week, actually.