In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Microwave illiterate.

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in General Discussion
Why is it that every time I follow the directions on the back of a microwave dinner, it either comes out hot on the outside with a block of ice on the inside, or just plain burned straight thru??? I'd just quit and start eating MRE's, but the darn heater's are aparently a fire hazard.

Speaking of, I had this buddy who didn't believe me that the steam comming out of the MRE heater bag was flamable and explosive gas. So he stuck his face right down there and pulled out his lighter and POOF! There went his eye brows.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !

Comments

• Options
    thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    Do you have a high wattage microwave? That sounds like it might be your problem.Follow the instructions next time but program your microwave for about 20% less power.

www.waveformwear.com
    The new wave in free expression.
  • Options
    kgnovumkgnovum Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All microwaves put out different amounts of power. Cooking directions are based on "average" wattage (I think around 700-800 watts output) so you have to gauge yours and adjust all cooking times accordingly. The one I have now is low wattage and if the directions say 4:00 minutes on high I normally have to use 4:30 or so. I used to have one that would scorch everything. If it said 4:00 minutes I'd use 3:00 minutes. Just keep track of what happens at suggested times and then start adjustng.
  • Options
    rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem. I bought a new microwave 2 months ago. Its 1200 watts. If I have my computer and tv on, and put my microwave on high for more than 30 seconds, it blows my a circut breaker. I use 60% power, for the recommended high power settings.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rameleni, may not be possible with the circuits where you live, but ideally microwave should be on its own because it draws so much current so quickly when it activates.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why can't they just standardize that stuff... I hate trying to think about stuff when its 11:00 at night and I'm trying to fix dinner before I go to bed to wake up in 4 hours.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    You should try the Bullzeye Three Step Program:

1)Buy yourself a extra-large deep freezer.
    2)Buy yourself 400 lbs. of meat.
    3)Buy yourself a George Foreman Grill.

Not only am I a spokesman, I'm also a client!