In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting jacket, vest, or shirt for my kid

bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
Took my 12 year old daughter shooting Sunday. Had her shoot the .22 for a while (she's shot before) and then tried the new .243 we got for her for her first deer season. She did not like it!!! Too much recoil for her. She didn't cry, but wouldn't try again. She's a skinny kid, so I was wondering if anyone had some info on where I might get a padded jacket, vest, or shirt for her.
Tanks.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence onto those who would do us harm." -George Orwell

Comments

• bmbuzlrbmbuzlr Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have some nice jackets in Cabela's that have zip off sleeves to make into a vest and zip out fleece liners that can also be worn by itself. May not have small enough size that you want though. I think I might get one for myself.[:D]

"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith,1787.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals, then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I would go for the vest. You might try the 30 cal carbine for your daughter as an in between round. Just my 2 cents. [8D]

Greg
  • chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always wore a Carhart type jacket and it helped alot when I needed it.
    I would go with a heavey jacket the one that she would be hunting in.
    After all it doesn't hurt to practice in what you would normally be hunting in.
    chris
  • bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Problem is, we live in South Carolina. Deer season started August 15th. Temps are in the 80's, no go for a heavy jacket. My last resort is a USMC shooting jacket in the smallest size I can get. Was hoping for something nicer for her.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence onto those who would do us harm." -George Orwell