In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

loaded guns in hot car is there a danger??

Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Question?with summer coming upon us here in the south and temperatures getting high,is there a problem leaving a loaded gun in your car?i mean down here temps inside a car can get up to 180 degrees
Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET

Comments

• Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To put it simply, no. But dont do that to your bow, that answer would be yes.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're worried about a cook-off, it won't get that hot in your car. But I would guess that ammo subjected to a lot of heat should be changed out every few years. I use old ammo for practice and reload with fresh every year.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEHEHEHE, just don't leave a Glock in there! Might resemble a Hershey Bar!
  • Options
    Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WASNT WORRIED ABOUT A COOK-OFF WAS MORE WORRIED ABOUT DETERIORATION OF THE POWDER IN THE ROUNDS UNDER EXTREME TEMPS
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    You can do an experiment like I did last year-place one round of ammo in each caliber you want to test on the dashboard of that old Studebaker (you gotta have a Stude, dude)that's rusting away in the backyard during the hottest part of the summer (in NM; it gets well over 180 in a closed car) and fire the rounds just before the first snow.32, 380, 38spl, 357mag, and 9mm didn't show any appreciable variation over the screens of my chrono-270wby, 30carbine, and 300win mag all showed velocities 12-30% HIGHER and showed some case bulging as well. My conclusion was not to put any more ammo on the dashboard when it's not 68F or cooler.
    If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loaded gun in "hot" car. Depends on your definition of "hot".
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    General opinions (of those I've seen over time on these Forums) seem to indicate that: no, neither high nor low temps affect ultimate performance of competenty loaded ammo. Low temps may adversly affect stored powder that is then used to load new ammo however, but this was one isolated response.However, should you fire ammo that's just been sitting under elevated temperature conditions, without allowing the ammo to cool down to "ambient" temps, the chances of a nasty high-pressure case failure is much more likely. Please use caution in this circumstance.edit: dang; gotta' check my speling more closly before hittin' "send."[This message has been edited by spclark (edited 04-07-2002).]