In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bush's Guard Buddies MIA

woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
The whole Bush and the National Guard issue is not that important to me. He was a wealthy elitist who wanted to avoid going to Vietnam. Thousands did the same thing, including his Vice President who got, I have read, 5 deferments. Heck, I would have joined the Guard if I could have, but, like many back then, I joined the Air Force because my family was working class and didn't have the connections to get me into the Guard. People are bashing Kerry for what he did or didn't do after his service, yet, veterans who served with him come forward to offer their support. Where are the National Guard vets who served with Bush who could vouch for him? I know that if I had served with the son of a wealthy politician, I would remember it. Bush should just fess up and admit that he was a party animal back then and did whatever he wanted because his family was rich. So, where are Bush's Guard buddies when he needs them?

Comments

• woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I was hoping for a comment or two from the right. Let's keep it civil. Doesn't it seem a bit odd that people aren't coming forward to say that they served with Bush and helping to fill in the gaps?
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure where his buddies are, not sure you would listen or belive them if they did speak up for him.
    edited November -1
    I think it would be great to see someone from Bush's National Guard era come forward and be supportive of Bush's claims. That way we could put this particular issue (whether or not he served and when, etc) to rest and focus on more current and critical issues such as the Iraq folly, budget, job losses, the economy, and whether or not he plucks his eyebrows.
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woodshermit, see the link by EOD Guy. Since its positive and supports a Republican it will be ignored by most U.S. media. Also flying fighter aircraft is not a safe occupation. It was far more dangerous in the seventies flying century series aircraft. F-100, F-101 etc.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    From the link provided by EOD Guy: quote:George Bush and I were lieutenants and pilots in the 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (FIS), Texas Air National Guard (ANG) from 1970 to 1971. We had the same flight and squadron commanders (Maj. William Harris and Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, both now deceased). While we were not part of the same social circle outside the base, we were in the same fraternity of fighter pilots, and proudly wore the same squadron patch.

Odd that the writer does not claim to have known Our Leader during that time, only that they were in the "same fraternity" and wore "the same squadron patch." Most people, IMHO, would say clearly, "I served with XXXX from YYYY to ZZZZ and we....." and that clear statement is missing, isn't it?

For that matter, I was in the same fraternity as Admiral Bull Halsey, Dwight Eisenhower, George Patton, Black Jack Pershing, U.S. Grant, and good Ole Jeff Davis.[;)]

Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.
    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do you "Bush-whackers" think the President NEEDS to have someone to "boost him up" like Kerry does? Kerry's always been a shameless "self promoter". Always wanting the spotlight.
    The Republicans are gonna' land on him like he can't believe. His "I'm a war hero" line isn't going to hold up long against his pathetic record.
    I don't think Mr. Bush should give a rat's rump about what the "lefties" think. Whatever he does is not going to lessen the hatred that you have. So why bother? His supporters are going to support him and those that hate him won't. PERIOD!

AND...Do you think that Kerry's "Band of Brothers" (what a cheap attempt to aggrandize himself by using that title.) are voluntarily just coming out of the woodwork? HA! It is to laugh. They were recruited. The Kerry people contacted them and asked them if they'd do it. And you can bet they're getting something under the table for it, too. Not that I blame them. In my opinion they're nothing more than "hired hands" just like many of his other campaign workers.

Mudge the Republican

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Hairy,

Why do you folks side with an accusation, then refuse to accept the truth when it comes out later. I would hate to be an inocent man on trial with some of you on the jury. As soon as the accusations were made, you would all vote guilty regardless of what came out as fact later. "Fair and Balanced", "Open minded", "In search of the truth", "I only want the facts". Not in some folks minds! I've never heard anyone but you admit they were wrong on an accusation that was later disproven, and you had to be callanged to do that.

Makes it look bad.[;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John Kerry did the following to his fellow servicemen when he returned and came out against the war.

1. By his actions he put every serviceman that was in Vietnam at risk by giving the enemy higher morale and more reason to continue the fight, because they knew if more Americans were against the war the better chance they had the US would give up which the US did,

2.By Kerry calling the soldiers in Vietnam baby killers and murderers, many returning soldiers were despised and spit upon. Many later would not even admit they were Vietnam vets because they didn't want to be looked down on. Also many vets had physcological problems because how they were viewed by people due to the likes of John Kerry and Jane Fonda. Just about all the vets that were against the war knew better than to demostrate against the war and their fellow veterans because they knew it would only help the enemy.

Was John Kerry a war hero? Yes he was. But he came home and became a traitor (Benedict Arnold was one of the greatest generals and heros in the Revolutionary War but he still became a traitor). Granted Kerry didn't fight with the Viet Cong, but he sure and hell helped their cause and eventually our defeat. I think his bragging about being a big war hero is going to backfire on him.

Does anyone on the forum disagree?

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackieBooger
    John Kerry was a war hero.

I agree 100% while he was in harms way.

quote: But he came home and became a traitor.

Again, I agree 100%, and I haven't seen him appologize for it.

He still strikes me as a dope smoking liberal, and I trust my gut feelings on it.

edited November -1
    There is an article on AOL about a retired guardsman who remembers Bush. The man says he tried to contact the campaign in 2000 and was ignored, tried emailing the White House recently and got a form email response. Finally, his wife contacted someone on the state party level who got in touch with the White House. There are more important things to worry about.

The idea that Kerry somehow boosted the morale of the NVA and VietCong is ludicrous. These were the best motivated troops of their era. There is also no reason to lump Kerry with Fonda. They barely knew each other. Kerry was leading VietNam Veterans Against The War and he was questioning the policies of the government, not the troops.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshermit
    There is also no reason to lump Kerry with Fonda.

Working together for the same cause with the same group is the two of them lumping themselves together in a common cause, not me.[;)]

edited November -1
    Dheffley: quote:Why do you folks side with an accusation, then refuse to accept the truth when it comes out later. I would hate to be an inocent man on trial with some of you on the jury. As soon as the accusations were made, you would all vote guilty regardless of what came out as fact later. "Fair and Balanced", "Open minded", "In search of the truth", "I only want the facts". Not in some folks minds! I've never heard anyone but you admit they were wrong on an accusation that was later disproven, and you had to be callanged to do that.

Methinks you protesteh too much.

What I did was point out that the person "supporting" Our Leader's time in the NG did not say he knew him while they were together. He implied so, but given the long explanation for NG service, flying jets, etc., I was and am curious as to such an omission. I welcome the truth; just wondering when we will see it. [;)]

With regards to an accusation that was later disproven and I had to be challenged to admit I was wrong, it appears from the recent news that I may have been wrong to admit I was wrong. The story on that is still being written, isn't it? I have no problem admitting when I am wrong: just ask my wife. [:D]

edited November -1
    Hairy,

Don't play symantics with me. You know what I meant, and you know it's true. I have yet to see either side report when they were wrong, but the democrats seem to throw out more accusations and less corrections.

Bush still has to correct the WMD stuff, but the democrats still have to correct that he didn't lie, he was lied to. When do you think either of those will happen?[;)]

edited November -1
    Jane Fonda and John Kerry hardly knew each other and only met formally years after the war when Fonda was married to Ted Turner. How can you say that they were part of the same group? Kerry founded and led a group of veterans protesting the war. I know you are not saying that Fonda was a VietNam vet.
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, what he is saying is simple. If I and another Marine are both caught speeding on a Saturday night, the next day it will read that two different Marines, both from Camp Lejeune, were caught speeding last night.

Get it? Same group of people, two Marines, or two war protestors. Whats the darn difference? That is how you group people, not by whether or not they know each other, but whether or not they fit into the 'group' being spoken of.

Sounds as if you are much more supportive of a man that is obviously against what so many of us here are for, God, Country, and Freedom, and not in support of a man who is, for the most part, just doing the best he can with the tools he has available. It doesnt make a lot of difference to me what GW did in the NG, or what JK did in VN, what matters is the past 30 years since then, and GW outshines JK by a long shot.

"Never argue with an idiot.... They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

"I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem."

Ryan
    edited November -1
    Jane Fonda and John Kerry hardly knew each other and only met formally years after the war when Fonda was married to Ted Turner. How can you say that they were part of the same group? Kerry founded and led a group of veterans protesting the war. I know you are not saying that Fonda was a VietNam vet.

Was Kerry anti-Viet Nam war? Yes/No

Was Fonda anti-Viet Nam war? Yes/No

Kind of puts them as part of the same group to me![;)]

PS, Thanks Ryan. I knew you would get it.[:D]

• s4shooters4shooter Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You democrat mud slingers can roll around in this meaningless nonsense all you want. President Bush's activities over thirty some odd years ago when he was in his twenties were appropriate, legal and if you consider what the great unwashed crowd of "liberals" were doing at the same time...REMEMBER!!! Now think back to our last president and compare him to President Bush, well who do you feel more confident with, who's the liar? Be grateful it could always be worse, Al Gore could have been president.

Jerry Weinberg
    edited November -1
    I have no use for Jane Fonda. I think she should have been arrested when she returned to the US from NVN. I have never paid a cent in support of her acting career. I returned home from VN in April of 1970 and it took a long time for me to reconcile my feelings about my experience. In April, 1971, I drove by myself from Richmond, VA up to Washington, DC to see and experience firsthand the protests of Veterans. There were thousands of men, including men in wheelchairs, united together for the purpose of ending that stupid war. I had many conversations that day and I never heard anybody say anything derogatory about the troops still serving in VN. It was just an effort to end the madness. Anybody who was in the military at that time knew that it was a poor man's war and that the rich did what they could to keep their sons out of it. I've read the Vietnam Veterans Against Kerry website and I find it hollow and typical far right ranting. If you want to put me in the same boat with Jane Fonda, that is your (everyone who thinks Fonda and Kerry were some sort of team) right. The name-calling and epithets are just boring.
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mudge
    Why do you "Bush-whackers" think the President NEEDS to have someone to "boost him up" like Kerry does? Kerry's always been a shameless "self promoter". Always wanting the spotlight.
    The Republicans are gonna' land on him like he can't believe. His "I'm a war hero" line isn't going to hold up long against his pathetic record.
    I don't think Mr. Bush should give a rat's rump about what the "lefties" think. Whatever he does is not going to lessen the hatred that you have. So why bother? His supporters are going to support him and those that hate him won't. PERIOD!

AND...Do you think that Kerry's "Band of Brothers" (what a cheap attempt to aggrandize himself by using that title.) are voluntarily just coming out of the woodwork? HA! It is to laugh. They were recruited. The Kerry people contacted them and asked them if they'd do it. And you can bet they're getting something under the table for it, too. Not that I blame them. In my opinion they're nothing more than "hired hands" just like many of his other campaign workers.

Mudge the Republican

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>

I guess I think you all need to get your heads out of your butts and realize that just because he's your guy doesn't mean he didn't do these things. (Whether Kerry or Bush) Some of you act like your guy (read that as God for some of you) could do no wrong.

Everybody's imperfect and everybody did something they don't want known, GET OVER IT!!!! They're politicians they will lie to whoever will believe them, and lie to those that won't believe them because they just don't care!

All men are pigs, politicians more so. Did he take the illegal substance? YES!, Did he sleep with the girl/guy/sheep? YES! Did he do what he needed to do to protect his own precious butt? YES!

Is he lying to you? YES! Learn to live with it and stop downing everyone because they chose a different tin idol than you did.

Just my two cents, and unrespected opinion. I think anyone who supports any politician is an idiot anyway.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
    edited November -1
    Woods,

All due respect, but I know many Viet Nam vets who were anti Viet Nam. I know many more who know that the politics were bad, but the service was respectable. Vet to vet, we can argue many things about the war, but Kerry turned into a left wing hippy, and I don't care for that. If you want to lump me in with a right wing group, go ahead, that to is your right. It doesn't clear up a thing about Kerry and his actions that I find disgusting.

Proof comes out that GB wasn't AWOL, but none of the Bush bashers stand up and appologize for empty accusations. What's that about? Truth is only what I want it to be? No way!

edited November -1
    I said that I was glad somebody came forward to say they served with Bush and I was the guy who started the topic. I think we need to focus on the important issues. I try not to get too stirred up on this forum and I like to think I avoid the name-calling as much as possible, but, putting me on the same page as Hanoi Jane just frankly ticks me off about as much as anything that I've read on this board. I'm done with this topic.
    edited November -1
    I said that I was glad somebody came forward to say they served with Bush and I was the guy who started the topic. I think we need to focus on the important issues. I try not to get too stirred up on this forum and I like to think I avoid the name-calling as much as possible, but, putting me on the same page as Hanoi Jane just frankly ticks me off about as much as anything that I've read on this board. I'm done with this topic.

I hope you don't think I put you on the level of Fonda. I don't. I too had issues with how our government handled the VN war, but I never supported the enemies position like Fonda did, and it is my opinion that Kerry's actions also crossed the line. Unlike Jane, he had more of a right to be critical, but I think he did go over the line. I would be open to the idea that is was post war syndrome, but I need more truth an facts to make that decision. It's hard to find any truth in the media.

I respect you Woods, but I don't agree with you on Bush, and I've seen very few who dislike him be honest enough to say, "yes, we were wrong about that, and we shouldn't have said it." I think that this is going to be a real dirty campaign and both sides are going to throw dirt. I hate that, and it makes it hard for me to decide who is honest and who isn't.

Don't misread me. I have real concerns with Kerry, and I believe that Bush is a basicly honest man.

edited November -1
    Dheffley: C'mon, lighten up. [:D] As I said earlier, if the alleged companion of Our Leader had served with him, he takes a mighty twisting road to say it--but he is explicitly clear when discussing what being in the NG meant or about flying the 100 series of fighters. I question such a writing methodology. (What does "is" mean???)

I'll admit when I am wrong but not until there is evidence that I am wrong (sorta like Our Leader with WMD in Iraq, isn't it?). As of right now (0022 hours, 02/14/04) there ain't any evidence that I am aware of.

We'll discuss some more in the later morning. [}:)]

• BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an article on AOL about a retired guardsman who remembers Bush. The man says he tried to contact the campaign in 2000 and was ignored, tried emailing the White House recently and got a form email response. Finally, his wife contacted someone on the state party level who got in touch with the White House. There are more important things to worry about.

The idea that Kerry somehow boosted the morale of the NVA and VietCong is ludicrous. These were the best motivated troops of their era. There is also no reason to lump Kerry with Fonda. They barely knew each other. Kerry was leading VietNam Veterans Against The War and he was questioning the policies of the government, not the troops.

Oh yea is that why he said that the troops wer committing all kinds of atrocities in Vietnam? Kerry is the one who thinks he is a great war hero and that Bush was just in the NG. Since the Democrats started all this abouat Bush's military record Kerry becomes fair game for the Republicans to go after Kerry about his anti-war behavior. Just wait until they start running some Kerry's old anti-war speechs and comments.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
    edited November -1
    Blackie: quote:Oh yea is that why he said that the troops wer committing all kinds of atrocities in Vietnam? Ahhhh, sorry to be the one to break the news, but we were committing atrocities in 'Nam. Ever hear of Mai Lei? Lt Calley? Massacre? As far as I'm concerned, that is one of the very few atrocities made public. Ask some other 'Nam vets about ears. See if anyone will talk about MACSOG. [;)]

• BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I used to get all upset when these incessant incendiary anti-Bush, anti-Israeli articles were posted by the likes of Hairy, woodshermit, and select-fire. Now I just setback and watch and wonder what their day must be like to wake up and think of ways to spread their fear or hatred of our current administration that is trying cope with a set of problems that no other administration or generation of Americans have had to deal with. That being a group or groups of fanatics that believe that is OK to kill as many innocent people as they can for the sake of a twisted religious way of life. It is kind of sad when you think that their day is consumed with ways to spread their fear of Bush.[:(]

Forget it guys you will never convince a person or persons that have an agenda. I think it appropriate to remember Ryan's tag line when responding to these posts in the future.quote:"Never argue with an idiot.... They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."

NRA Life Member
    edited November -1
    Hey Boomer: How are your singing lessons coming along? [;)]