In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Racist Cartoon Complaint (C&P)

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
> Date: February 20, 2004 10:03:22 PM PST
> To: letters@sfchronicle.com
> Subject: letter to the editor
>
> Editor-
>
> As a Jewish woman, many of whose relatives were murdered by the Nazis, I am outraged that a major voice in a major city saw fit to print Wiley Miller's "Non Sequitur" comic (Feb. 17). Miller depicted a Muslim woman wearing a hijab and a dynamite belt, about to enter
> paradise, saying that becoming a suicide bomber was the "only way out of the house without a chaperon."

Depicting Islam as oppressive and Muslim women as helpless victims willing to kill themselves in order to get "out of the house" reinstates the historic examples of racist cartooning from the earliest times of newspaper publication in the U.S.

These caricatured Native Americans beginning in the last part of the 19th Century, Black people beginning right after the Civil War, and Japanese Americans in the 1940s. For me, this cartoon is as painful as those caricaturing Jews in Germany in the 1930s. It is an ignorant and disgusting portrayal of the beleaguered Palestinian people and an apologia for colonialism. It is not the first such cartoon by Miller, nor is it the first anti-Arab or anti-Muslim cartoon in The Chronicle. From my perspective, history is repeating itself, and it is terrifying. You owe the Arab and Muslim communities an apology.
>
> Beverly Slapin
> 2702 Mathews St.
> Berkeley, CA 94702
> (510) 848-6700
> (510) 848-4815, fax
> beverly@oyate.org
> http://www.oyate.org
>

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.