In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Methinks Thou Protesth Too Much

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
Organizations Aim to put Christ Back in Christmas

Posted by Bobby Eberle

November 29, 2005 at 7:16 am

Several pro-family groups have launched campaigns to identify retailers who plan to benefit extensively from Christmas shopping, but who are not including the word "Christmas" in their advertisements.

As noted in the CNSNews.com story Retailers Urged to Remember the `Reason for the Season', the American Family Association recently reviewed newspaper ads from 11 major retailers. Of the 11, only McRae's/Belks used the word Christmas in its advertising for Christmas shopping.

The other 10 companies did not mention "Christmas" a single time, but the term "holiday" was used by those 10 companies a total of 59 times.

The companies that failed to mention Christmas a single time in their 260 pages of insert promotions were Target, Kroger, Office Max, Walgreens, Sears, Staples, Lowe's, J.C. Penney, Dell and Best Buy, AFA said.

In related news, but on a more positive note, the Washington Times is reporting that House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL) "has told federal officials that the lighted, decorated tree on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol - known in recent years as the `Holiday Tree' - should be renamed the `Capitol Christmas Tree,' as it was called until the late 1990s."

"The speaker believes a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree, and it is as simple as that," said Ron Bonjean, spokesman for the Illinois Republican.

As the Washington Times notes, the issue of calling a Christmas tree a Christmas tree has become more controversial in recent years. More and more agencies, retailers, and governments want to celebrate Christmas without acknowledging Christ - the sole reason that the holiday exists in the first place.

"It's a growing problem," said Jared N. Leland, spokesman and legal counsel for the Becket Fund, a District-based legal and educational institute. "Celebrating the season with Christmas trees . and leaving them named `Christmas' is simply recognizing the religious nature of people. Christmas should be able to be called Christmas."

In particular, the notion of calling a Christmas tree something supposedly benign like a "holiday" tree is simply ridiculous as there is no other official tree (Hanukkah tree or Kwanzaa tree) to be grouped with the Christmas tree in order for such a new label to even make sense. There is just one tree, and it is the Christmas tree. For some background information on the other holidays, check out this Hanukkah page and this Kwanzaa page.

COMMENT BY HAIRY: Catering to the Religious Right is okay by me. [:D]

Comments

• Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    As someone who has lived long enough to see
    both 'The Christmas Season' and 'Winter Holidays'
    ... I feel sorry for the youngsters who will never
    know what a great public Christmas is!
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote: "Catering to the Religious Right is okay by me.". Does this mean
    that all Christians are Right Winged? I doubt it. I really dont think that non-Christions and Atheists for the most really care to stop the
    tradition of Christmas. Just a few headline seekers. As far as the blacks, most are Christians in this country. So just what small group is causing all the confusion about Christmas and God.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAIRY....did you say you will pay for the catering charges? Darn nice of you I like free food, count me in.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...The Easter Bunny will be next on the "hit" list once Santa is
    declared dead....[:(]

"their in front of us,their behind us,their to our left,and to our right...they cant get away from us now boys!"
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D] Right on!
  • Options
    gobucksgobucks Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too bad Sears opts to bend over for the PC crowd but much more important is their exemplary support for called up Nat'l guard and Reserves. I appreciate their efforts and go out of my to shop at Sears.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Our brother Judah doesn't believe in Christ, either, but he sure believes in banking millions from the sale of gifts and Christmas decorations.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
    If multiculturalism is the answer, it must have been one hell of a stupid question.
  • Options
    Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last I knew...no one forced anyone else to celebrate other religions holy days, so......if you don't want to celebrate the birth of Christ, don't...BUT to interfere with others celebration, and to remove the icon upon which this countrys founding idealism was based is wrong. It is much easier to remove the dissenters, rue the day the religious right becomes as rabid as those that oppose Christianity....for the streets will run rivers of blood......non Christian blood.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    ""Last I knew...no one forced anyone else to celebrate other religions holy days""

Christmas= Federal Holiday

All other religions special day= No Federal Holiday

But it all don't matter to me. The Federal Holiday for Christ's birth isn't even in the right month and nobody even know's the right day.

So Christmas really is....A Celebration of Consumerism, nothing more.

Merry frekin Christmas and may all our wallets recover from the spending sprees.[:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    RED: MONTH? There are two bible accounts of the time for Christs birth,, oly problem is they are 14 YEARS apart..just a little error there.[}:)][}:)]

Those who can make you believe absurdities
    can make you commit atrocities.

Do I give my friends advice? NO, . They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Jody Commander: quote: rue the day the religious right becomes as rabid as those that oppose Christianity....for the streets will run rivers of blood... They already have--did you forget the so-called Christian medical clinic bombers along with the murderers of the doctors?

Short term memory is great if all you want to do is push your propaganda, isn't it? Have a great day.