In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Am I wrong?

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Or does this look like too much fun at $350-$390?

standard.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    On another forum, someone was asking about 10mm Glocks. I thought that the 10mm came out on the market after the .40 which was why the .40 was more popular. Especially since that are amost the same round. I was even thinking that I read that somewhere in a magazine recently. Am I wrong here? I would really hate to think I'm wrong but want to correct myself if I am.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Or havent we lost more soldiers since we havent technically been at war with Iraq than we we actually have been at declared war with them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You guys may remember my difficulty finding a FFL after a purchase of a gun online here on GB. If not here is the link:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259143

Well the gun just got received and I went to give the FFL my FOID card info and do the proper paper work for the 72 hour background check. He gave me a receipt for my pickup in a few days. On the receipt I noticed the transfer fee is $50 bucks [:0] and then there is a FTIP FEE of another $5. It is probably my fault for not asking what his fee was when I started this but I just figured the going rate was $20-30. This whole thing has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. What do you guys normally pay for a transfer?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was looking over thew WANTED BOARD and a guy accidently posted a "trade" item.

The responses he got were a bit less than polite. He is obviously new to the boards and except for one person who stated it was all in fun ( I kinda doubt it) the comments were , well I say rude.

I posted a response to those folks that I didnt think it was right to treat a new person who obviously made an honest mistake like that. He aknowledged the mistake and apologized. There were only a few responses but it got my dander up a bit.

All the posters to that thread were new (only a few posts each)

Comments appreciated ( agree or disagree just want to get a feeling for what you guys think)

JuJu (in a bit of a quandry)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was watching a football game on TV and a player, It was announced that a certain player, Jamal Lewis, was Arrested in Atlanta for posession , with the intent to distribut, heroin, He made a plea bargin, to stay out of jail and was playing in the game, he will face punishment by the NFL,, I say throw the Jerk totally out of Pro Ball, What kind of message is that to the youth of today? "I am a famous ball player so I can do what I want with no fear" and what is the NFL gonna do, sideline him for a couple games??

Where in the hell are all the priorities in this Country??
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    no expert here but i believe the 10mm was first and they found it was to powerfull for a lot of people and that why the 40 S&W came about
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Yep your 10mm is a helluva lot more powerful than a .40

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 10MM did come out before the .40cal but theres not alot of difference in muzzle energy between a good 135 or a 155 gr .40 cal than a 180 gr 10MM.The small difference in velocity/muzzle energy is why the .40 took off much better than the 10MM round.Im not knocking the 10MM it has a place in the pistol caliber line,and Ive been wanting one for a while myself for Hunting purposes.The difference between the two is so little it isnt worth the extra recoil of the 10MM over the .40 cal.The FBI jumped on the 10MM as soon as it came out as well as alot of other Agency's.The FBI and most Agency's who jumped on the 10MM also quickly dropped it when the .40 cal was released.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the mid to late 80's the FBI started the transition to the 10mm after the tragic shoot out in Florida with two bank robbers. If I remember correctly 3 or 4 agents were killed and the same number were wounded.

The shootout caused the FBI to rethink the 9mm and .38+P service weapons they were using and they settled on the 10mm. As the transition to the 10mm was going on, S&W and I believe Winchester got together and designed the .40 S&W cartridge. It was called the 10mm lite by some of the gun press in the early days.

I recall reading several articles that said the .40 S&W would never catch on.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    In the mid to late 80's the FBI started the transition to the 10mm after the tragic shoot out in Florida with two bank robbers. If I remember correctly 3 or 4 agents were killed and the same number were wounded.

The shootout caused the FBI to rethink the 9mm and .38+P service weapons they were using and they settled on the 10mm. As the transition to the 10mm was going on, S&W and I believe Winchester got together and designed the .40 S&W cartridge. It was called the 10mm lite by some of the gun press in the early days.

Speaking of this incident, it'd be neat if they had an episode on this in an upcoming Shootout! on History Channel.. [:)]
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    You guys are correct the 10mm is pre-40S&W. Certain agents didn't handle the 10mm very well so they moved to the 40s&w. However, they still use the 10mm in their own varient of the HK MP5.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Crap! I guess I don't know everything.[:D] I am going to try and find that article and re-read it. Thanks for setting me straight! Now I have to go to the other forum and correct myself![:I]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    My references indicate that the 10mm original round was too hot to be easily handled by most FBI agents so the ammo manufacturer down loaded it a little with a lighter bullet. It was then that it was determined that the same ballistics could be had in a shorter case which could be used in the smaller,lighter firearms that the 9mm was used in. That round was the .40S&W.

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    NRA Life Member
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    oeabo is exactly correct. Original loadings in the 10 mm were cracking frames and slided. Too hot. It was down loaded to get around this problem. Then Smith figured out that about the same ballistics could be had in a shorter case.