In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Market Hall Gun Show

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Went to the show today. Overall, it was a pretty typical show, but I had two guys I would have liked to choked. The first was selling the cheap flag kits. The same ones that sell for around $15 in the stores. The guy had them marked $50. I ask him why he had them marked up so much. His reply, "Supply and demand, that's what makes this country great." I told him, "That ain't what makes this country great, but you what makes this country hated." The next was guy selling Israeli gas mask (the old models), he was asking $200 each. I told him you could order the from HQ for less than $15. He said "I know, and I only have to sell one to pay for the show."I am an American and a capalist, but gougers should be shot.
Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    This weekend... Anyone going?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone going or going to be set up? I know Nunn usually goes on Fridays, but I don't think he usually sets up. I am headed up tomorrow.
  • Options
    burn1bobburn1bob Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    these two a-holes represent just one of the reasons some people hate us. this crap snowballs all the way up the corporate structures. i am an American and capitalist too but we need to get back to making fair and reasonable profits from the ground up and from the top down. now, more than ever, money is not everything. what really gets me are those who are buying flags and selling stocks. if we dont improve, this 'love of money' thing may come back to bite us again. buy a gun, buy some stock, fly to your next destination. lets get back to where they do not want us to be.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you're not suggesting that we institute market controls. The truly American thing to do would be not to gripe but to set up a table selling flags and gas masks at a minimal profit to encourage competition. Nobody said those two HAD to be there with their tables. They had absolutely no law-binding duty to be there to sell those items. It was two guys showing up at a gun show to see who would buy and what price the market would bear. It is the responsibility of the consumer to shop around and find the best price. That is what keeps the market in check. If the consumer did this, these clowns would have done zero business and would have dropped their prices or closed up shop.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    idsman75No i'm not suggesting that. I'm saying that there is a time when ALL Americans have their moral fiber tested. These two clowns failed. A small increase in price to cover handling and even extra availability is acceptable. Even some to cover expected increase in replace stock and wholesale price increases would be OK. But you would be singing a different tune if you were hot and thirsty fighting a forest fire and a local store wanted to sell you a bottle of water for $20. These kind of people have been around in every catastrophe. I think the public should band together and run them out of town. I don't know you, and I don't know if you sell, but I pray to God you don't defend these actions.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have your choice - buy or don't buy. If enough people don't buy the seller gets the message. That's what a free market is all about. [This message has been edited by badboybob (edited 09-23-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To all of you who think I don't believe in the free market, let me explain, I do believe in the free market, but more so in the FREEDOM that alows it, and the BLOOD that was spilled to protect it. When gas prices jumped, a local Diamond Shamrock dealer lowered his price 10 cents a gallon while others raised theirs 50 cents a gallon. He has a customer for life. Remember the FREE in free market is also under attack. Do you think the Talaban would allow your market?PS Here in Texas we have fee market laws that outlaw price gouging. You guy's would be in a pretty pickle here.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE![This message has been edited by dheffley (edited 09-23-2001).]
  • Options
    sassysassy Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only blood these guys ever gave was when they slammed the cash register drawer on their finger!
    USA, always and forever!
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The term "price gouging" is a liberal's cry for more liberalism unless you are dealing with a pure monopoly. In the case of the gun show, there was not a monopoly. I guarantee you I could find the same products at a lower price if I looked elsewhere. That's how capitalism works. That is how a free market works. Cable in my area is expensive. The cable companies jack up the prices and I only watch about an hour of television per week. Hence, I choose not to get cable. On behalf of the free market, I recognize that I don't have a "right" to have cable or any other product that is out there. Flags and gas masks aren't guaranteed by the constitution so a vendor's choice to jack up prices forces me to make a choice to spend my money elsewhere or to pay his outrageous prices. There are no freedoms being infringed.
  • Options
    sassysassy Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys make a good arguement, and as my emotions settle down, I tend to see your view. It still makes me madder than a dog for what they are doing. My grandfather fought and gave his life for this country. My father was wounded as was I in service of this nation, and my brother was lucky enough to come out whole. I do think these monkey's should be the ones that are slapped. I know we have to protect ALL of our freedoms, and I'll thank both of you for staying cool with me while I spouted off my anger. (another freedom I guess) Level heads must prevail!Thanks again!
    USA, always and forever!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sassy is my daughter. She used my computer to get into the argument. I posted the message above. How do I get my I.D. back on this board?There, that worked!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE![This message has been edited by dheffley (edited 09-23-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    all freedoms have their limitations. cant yell fire in a theatre, 30,000 gun control laws, you can be forced to testify, etc. clearly, these creeps are abusing the "free" market. if not, why werent their prices up before? if you cant see that avarice is part of the problem and not the solution you need to have another cup of coffee and wake up!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    I stopped by Market Hall this afternoon, Sunday. First gun show I was at in a long time. It was nice. I needed a few items and I knew the folks that would have them would be there. I did notice more than a few uncovered tables. DACA always claims a sold out show, but there always seem to be empty tables. Price gouging CANNOT be perpetrated on an educated consumer.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Egotistical Rogue, Evil, Dangerous Racist Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    mindaminda Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am wondering if all you people defending the fools doing the price gouging do your shopping at walmart or a local gunshop. I agree with everything you guys posted. People should shop around and chose the best price that is why I buy all my long guns from walmart as I am sure you do.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    I buy all my long guns from individuals, other dealers, and Jerry's.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Egotistical Rogue, Evil, Dangerous Racist Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i just dont see how someone can 'agree with everything you guys posted', when there were several ideas with opposing points of view. and i dont understand how 'the best price' can ONLY include dollars and exclude selection, service, warranty work, loyal gun buying/selling relationships, registration and even the ethical values of the seller you are dealing with. some people may be lucky. the local super wal mart here pulled all the guns and ammo on 9/12 just as many citizens were feeling the need to express their 2nd ammendment freedoms.>bob