In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Nation...30 Days

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in General Discussion
This is on tomorrow.

http://www.scienceontv.com/2008/06/30/30-days-gun-nation/

'30 Days? will air on FX this week

Sunday, June 29, 2008

The FX reality series "30 Days" turns its sights on southwest Ohio this week for an episode about gun control.

Pia Lalli, a Boston-area woman who opposes gun ownership for anyone outside law enforcement or the military, spent 30 days living with gun enthusiast Ken Ekermeyer in the "pistol-packing rural town of Leesburg, Ohio."

Lalli also spent three weeks working at Peabody Sports, a gun dealer on Wilmington Pike in Kettering.

Created by Morgan Spurlock, "30 Days" follows a person on one side of a hot-button debate as they submerge themselves for 30 days within the culture of the opposing side.

The "Gun Nation" episode, filmed last August and September, will be broadcast at 10 p.m. Tuesday, July 1, on FX.

"I think it was a really accurate portrayal of both sides," Lalli said of the episode from Brockton, Mass. "Very fair. Very unbiased."

Lalli declined to say whether the experience changed her views on gun control. "A lot of my preconceived stereotypes had been changed," she said.

John Thyne, principal owner of Peabody Sports, defied Lalli's expectations.

"John is probably one of the best people I ever met in my life," she said. "It would have been a much different experience if he was the person that I spent the 30 days with. But it wouldn't have been as intense of a story line, because he's the legitimate gun dealer, he doesn't live way out in the outskirts and he's not really radical in his views."

Lalli also was different from what Thyne envisioned. "We got along quite well for having opposing views on a subject, and I think that we had some great dialogue," he said.

While in the Dayton area, Lalli did firearms training at the SimTrainer shooting range on Dryden Road, watched a competitive shooting match at the Miamisburg Sportsmen' Club and went skeet shooting at the Clark County Sportsman's Club in Springfield.

Lalli also visited Bill Goodman's Gun & Knife Show at Hara Arena. "That actually reversed the defied stereotypes," she said, laughing.

The "30 Days" producers arranged for Lalli to work at Peabody Sports and attend the gun show and shooting events. How she responded to such situations was up to her.

"I thought they did a great job of not scripting anything," Lalli said. "Maybe they were scripting in their own heads, but they weren't saying to me, 'Do this. Do that.' Nobody did that. It was very authentic."

Lalli isn't sure whether the episode will sway viewers one way or the other on the issue. However, it does show that she and Ekermeyer found respect for one another.

"I hope that people watching it will be like, 'OK, two sides agreeing to disagree,' " she said.
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments