In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

something cool

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
I was out at a local state park on New Year's Day, driving along and taking in the sights. Cold as heck, but here and there I could see a hawk perched up in a tree looking for prey. I'm driving along, leaving the park, when one drops like a stone about 40 yards in front of me. I pull up next to it and it has got a still-wiggling mouse in its talons and is starting to rip it up and devour it. I've seen hawks hunting and eating, but never the actual moment of the catch and kill. What a great experience. Anybody else seen anything some dramatic out in the woods?

Comments

• Options
    thebutcherthebutcher Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw something really remarkable in Acadia National Park (Mt. Desert Island, ME). There are several pairs of nesting Peregrin Falcons on the island. I saw one take a starling in mid flight. It all happened at about 80 mph. I also, just the other day, saw a peregrin (nests on a skyscraper across from my office) nail a pigeon in the same fashion. Truly remarkable, nothing left but feathers and stink!
    The definition of an "expert":An "X" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple of years ago during Handgun season, I had a young fox in front of my stand for almost 15 minutes catching mice. He would stand,listening intently and them pounce. He would stick his nose in the snow and come up with a mouse.
  • Options
    PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being the farm boy that I am I sees all sorts o' critters. Saw a chicken hawk chase a rooster until it ran into a tree, found a badger hung up in a barbed wire fence, hawks catching both mice and rabbits in the field while I'm in a tractor, and too damn many deer to count. I've got a 105 lb german shepard named "Ruger" that had an 8 point buck by the front leg one night. Went out with a gun and light to see what was up, called the dog and when he let go the stupid deer came right for the light. Hate to admit it, but I ran like a scared little b_tch. Heard the hoofs hitting the frozen ground right behind me. Finally got the dog chained up while the deer layed down in the grove. Who does that mutt think he is taking on a mature buck like that? I thought about shooting it, but with the idiot we have for a DNR officer I don't think "self defense" would have gone over too well.
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was sitting lakeside one afternoon in the high mountains, few trees. The mountains rose above the far side of the lake to a ridge about 1100 feet above. I watched a Golden Eagle launch off the ridge and as though sliding on a string, it descended full speed, shot past in front of me about 70 feet above the water and 100 feet out. Its target was a marmot on the hillside beside me. I thought for sure at that speed he would kill himself on impact but just as he hit he flared his huge wings with a resounding 'whoop' sound. He ate his fill right there and half an hour later, launched, dipped toward the water and wheeled right over my head, like he was saying good-afternoon. Marvelous.Clouder..
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 5 years ago I spent a week house sitting for my parents. They had an apartment near lake ontario. There was a tree full of sparrows in the front yard. I went outside for a smoke, and about 8 feet in front of me a sparrow turns into a cloud of feathers. A Kestrel got him, never saw or heard him coming just POOF! He sat on the neighbors sidewalk eating it. Somewhere around here I've got pictures, I managed to shoot most of a roll of film. Yes I'll agree if there is reincarnation I want to be a bird of prey.WOODS
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Imagine how horrifying it would've been to have Pterodactyls cruising around the sky. Nothing worse than an *-kickin', meat-eating bird the size of a Cessna."Junior! Oh Junior! Time for dinner! Now where in the world could that cave-boy have gone?"
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About fifteen years ago I saw an Osprey dive into the water (Miramichie River in New Brunswick), and come out with a great big salmon in his talons. He flew away (over land to kill it, I presume), and then came back and flew right over us with blood driping all the way. Quite the sight for me and the kids.Bonne Chasse!
    Ken
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    One day, when we were still in high school, my little sister went for a walk and heard this terrible squeal. She looked just off the road and there was a big snake that had just latched onto a baby rabbit. The rabbit had squealed. She grabbed up a stick and clubbed the snake until it turned loose the rabbit, and then she swatted it some more.Knowing that I had a penchant for the scaly beasts, she picked up the dead (she thought) snake with the stick and brought it home. As she neared the house, the snake started to come around. She had knocked it out cold, but it was far from dead. There was an empty trash can handy, so she dropped the snake in it and put the lid on. When I got home, she told me what she had done. I went out to the trash can and opened it. Inside was nearly six feet of the angriest Texas Rat snake I ever saw. The dude was really ticked off.I grabbed it and got it out of the can. It was in nice shape except for a nasty * in its neck just behind the head.A few hours ago, my animal lover sister tried to kill this thing. Now she wanted to fix its neck. I got a needle and thread and with her help, sewed up the *, only getting bitten three or four times for my trouble.We turned it loose where she had first encountered it. I did not worry about the stitches, figuring they would come out on their own as the snake shed its skin.I have seen Kingfishers fall into the water, disappear, and come back up with a fish.Ditto for the anhingas, but they are already in the watter and just dive.Once, I was out on patrol, and checked out a dirt road in an undeveloped area, a good place to dump or strip a stolen car. In the middle of the road I found two Three-Toed Box turtles in the act of making little turtles. You know how turtles do it? S-L-O-W-L-Y.LOL.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a Kestrel hanging around the house one year, pickin' sparrows off the birdfeeder. The most interesting I saw was a redtail hawk on a branch, having a stare-down with a bloodied fox suirrel. I pulled over and watched for a good while, but had to be someplace, and I had to leave before I saw the final outcome.
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    was elk hunting in colorado several years ago sat down to watch and had a red squirrel barking at me when all of a sudden big hawk hit it knocked to the ground then grabbed it and took off with it dangeling in its claws. sure suprised me as i had not seen the hawk before it attacked the squirrel and it was only about 25 feet from me. carl
  • Options
    RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two super-cool bird stories and one happened just last week.1) Fishing for stripers off the coast of NJ, you look for birds splashing on the water. That's them diving for the bait fish. When you get closer, the birds are magnificent frigate birds that tuck their wings and plow into the water full steam.2) I was fly-fishing by myself for steelies on the Nisqually in Washington when I hooked into a sea-run cutthroat. Well, the fish escaped me after a struggle, but not the bald eagle that was watching me and the fish. I came swooping down over my right shoulder so close I could have touched it with my fly rod, and scooped up that nice little trout.
  • Options
    pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a 120 foot microwave tower on our office property, next to a lake. There was an Osprey on the top with about a 2 lb. talapia for lunch. Well he dropped it and it landed on my boss's left shoulder. That's cool!!
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, not birds, but something flying...Growing up in Pennsylvania during the summer, reading at night with the light on in my room, window open with screen to keep the bugs out. Now, of course, the bugs battered their fool selves against the screen, trying to get to the light. All of a sudden, there's a THUMP and one of the bugs is gone! WTF!? Happens again! Seems one of the local bats had found himself a quick & easy way to catch bugs. He "visited" me quite a bit, as I recall.Maybe that's why everyone sez I'm batty...
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Standing out in my front yard one day and saw a couple of small birds, sparrows or something agitating a red tail Hawk. I thought it was very unusual as I had never seen that before. I asked a buddy and he said it isn't that uncommon as the small birds can out maneuver the Big ole boy.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago, a redtail hawk flew above and in front of my car with a snake in its mouth.During the archery season this year, I was sitting at my stand, decked out in a leafy camo, "half man, half tree" suit. Hear a rustle, and a red tail hawk was flying right at me(at least, it appeared that way). I jumped up and started flapping my arms and yelling at it, and it went right over my head. I dont know if it was coming at me, but it sure seemed that way.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was sighting in on a squirrel years ago, was taking careful aim and about to touch the trigger off and all of a sudden the thing disappears. A hawk swooped down and snatched that squirrel right out of my crosshairs, it wasnt cool at the time, I was peeved, oh well. That same summer I believe, I was squirrel hunting again and sitting motionless in a grove of beech trees. Along comes a doe and a buck, and this buck mounts the doe, it was really wierd, that they didnt see me, and that I was actually seeing 2 deer mate, cool experience.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once in a state park near me I saw a hawk sitting out in a field on a sign that said NO HUNTING!Dumb bird couldn't read.Another time saw a bald eagle dive into the Kaw river for a fish. I don't get to see that often in Kansas.
    "If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    iron sightsiron sights Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On four different occations I've seen a Red Tail Hawk swoop down and catch a field mouse, but the best was when I was fishing on Toledo Bend. I was by myself fishing for four hours straight on a hot summer day. There was nothing but dead trees sticking up around me. All of a sudden there was a loud crashing sound in the water, close enough for the water to hit me. A dead tree was swaying. Scared the heck out of me. Around 30 seconds later up popped a water turkey.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once in a state park near me I saw a hawk sitting out in a field on a sign that said NO HUNTING!Dumb bird couldn't read.Another time saw a bald eagle dive into the Kaw river for a fish. I don't get to see that often in Kansas.Also was crossing a lake dam in the middle of winter when the lake was completely froze over. There were two coyotes probably 1/2 mile out in the middle of the lake. I stopped to watch with my binoculars and they just sat down until I left.
    "If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was stream fishing deep in the Rangeley Maine region and was running out of the woods as dark was fast gaining on me. It sounded like a horse slipping on a cobblestone road ahead as a moose scrambled to his feet on the trail some 15 feet in front of me. I drew a Browning HP and lined up on him as we stared each down. After probably a minute which seemed like 10, he melted into the darkening woods.We were hiking down from a weather station atop a Smoky Mountain and were advised by a climber that a bear was on the trail. The trail was a narrow notch in a steep mountain face with rope handholds for climbers.We met Mr Bear who was standing still on the trail with no way to get around him. Again, I was well armed for the challenge with a Baby Browning .25 auto. I aggressively banged my walking stick against a tree and yelled at him while levelling the hand cannon. He finally gave way, climbed up the grade about 10 feet and stopped to let us by. With the wife in front we passed by under Mr Bear who did not follow.While the guns would have done little were these animals aggressive, they gave me some feeling of security.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Years ago I was down in Ft. Lauderdale training with the swim team. The coach gave us a day off but told us we had to swim for an hour out in the ocean. So I'm swimming along in about 4 or 5 feet of water, nice sunny afternoon, I take a breath and stick my head back in and there are two big baraccuda about 8 feet away, just sort of checking me out. I stop and sort of float there, and they stare at me, and I curse myself for wearing my shiny watch and shiny goggles. We stare at each other until I have to take a breath, and when I stuck my head back under the water they were gone. I got out of the water and walked back.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Watched a coyote try to rob a mule doe of her fawn. Coyote ran the doe ragged for about 45 minutes but never got close to the fawn. Have had Hawks, owls and even a golden eagle swoop down on my bomber hat while out hunting. Closest was the eagle who came from behind and had to be within a foot or two befor swooping up.
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw a Red Tailed hawk, swoop down and grab a ground squirrel, and after a moment took off with the squirrel squirming away in it's talons.When it reached about thirty five feet off the ground the ole hawk turned the squirrel lose, it fell to the ground, and scampered off.I've never seen anything like that before, can only surmise the squirrel wiggled lose, or bit the hawk's leg, and in turn was let go. The way the squirrel ran off, he loked unaffected by the episode.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw two humungous snapping turtles mating near the shore in a pond. After a minute or two the females' head would come up for air. They didnt seem affected by our presence and we watched for at least 10 minutes. Seen side by side they clearly had two different headshapes. I too remarked at the speed of a diving hawk,wondering why they dont break every bone in their bodies as they hit the water or ground.One fish hawk I saw didnt appear to flare out and brake his dive when he smacked the water and came up with a large goldfish.
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sitting in a tree stand, a PURE WHITE fox squirrel came wandering down the trail. Laid my 3x9 on him, thinking "nobody will believe this. He kept coming. I laid my rifle down, and grabbed my ruger mk1 with hollow points in it. Drew a bead, pulled the trigger.Nothing happen. Ejected the round, and when it hit the ground, he turned, and be-bopped off the way he came. Drew another bead and then decided tolet him go. Figured SOMEBODY was trying to tell me something. That gun never misfired in its life. Two years later, another guy saw it...decided to shoot it and his gun misfired. What's the chances?
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duck hunting on the edge of a swamp in an impromptu blind, I saw an otter approach. He didn't see me, but apparently thought it was time for a frolic. He played mud slide down the banking at a distance of 20 feet for almost an hour, interrupted by water aerobics. It was like a Animal Planet episode w/o the commercials. I had so much fun watching the little fellow, I let two flocks of mallards come in w/o even thinking of lifting the shotgun. And left afterwards - I still treasure that moment.v35 - a .25 ACP versus a Bruin gave you a sense of security?! I presume you were going to shoot him through the top of the mouth as he bit down at you?
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowrider,I got a dozen of them Pterodactyls decoys.Heaver than He$$.Been wating for them to make a comeback.If you spot one let me know.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ROBSGUNS- Your story reminded me of something that happend this past deer season. One of my relatives was out with his son-it was his sons first time out deer hunting. The two of them see a buck mounting a doe. The boy took a shot and missed. Buck looked over for a couple of seconds, and then started his business again. Father said "shoot again". The boy did, and brought the buck down. Later on, we were talking about it, and everyone said the kid should not have shot, he should have waited until the Buck finished. I guess he should have shot the Buck while he was smoking his after amore cigarette.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ROBSGUNS- Oh yeah, the saame thing happend to me with respect to your squirrel story. I have not told anyone about this except for the two that I was hunting with. They gave me such a hard time I decided not to tell anyone.I was squirrel hunting with a shotgun. I saw this squirrel and he was barking away-but not at me. I finally shot, and the thing hit the ground, and was bouncing around. I see this huge bird(at first I thought it was a turkey) swoop down and steal my squirrel. It was amazing. I met up with my partners, told them about what happend, and they gave it to me. They said it was probably a TERYDACTYL. Everytime I go hunting with them, they tell me to watch out for squirrel stealing TERYDACTYLS.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago, I was dressed in full business cammies (dark suit, white shirt, "power" tie) and was on post in a Manhattan bar. I was trying to fill my doe tag and had taken a bead on a beautiful example of the North American Scrumptious Babe. She had come into my martini decoy and I was just about to fire my conversational opener when a Copkestral swooped in, flashed a badge and read the creature her rights. I wiped the sweat from my brow and thanked the red gods for delivering me from what could have been the most expensive hunt I was ever on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now that, ndbilly, is a REAL hunting story!